AVS Forum banner

BluRay on Linux thread

51K views 81 replies 19 participants last post by  wmcclain 
#1 ·
EDIT: Added HOWTO link for first post-

HOWTO: Install and Run DVDfab Decrypter with wine

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132336

Quote:
There are still some major roadblocks with Linux though: direct BD playback, Netflix, iTunes, no real hw accel in Flash

I just saw a phoronix piece recently that mentioned Myth .24 will play BD discs directly including menus, with FFMPEG also updated for BD compatibility.

I think there are enough iTunes alternatives for music management/playback on Linux, and other apps for iPod syncing. Maybe Apple will do a web based iTunes, or maybe a Linux/Java client some day, or Google might do an iTunes alternative for Linux?

I think if the Steam thing takes off on Linux, the Netflix's and iTunes of the world will follow...

...remember, there is no more DRM on iTunes, so there is no point in making the iTunes app or store for only Win and Mac.

Besides, I recommend Amazon's MP3 store since they are also DRM free, lower cost usually, and have an Ubuntu/other Linux's native clients for purchases/downloads.

..yeah, yeah topic drift- just call me the Drifter

See less See more
#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 /forum/post/19195225

Actually the HD-PVR takes raw component video (YCrCb or YPrPb) and makes h.264 in real-time.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

So it seems doable to me. Of course I could be confused - it's not an uncommon occurrence.

I misunderstood you, when you said HD-PVR I took it as the generic term for HD personal video recorder standalone units or PC cards, i.e. those that record digital broadcast streams from satellite, cable or OTA directly onto a hard disk, I wasn't aware of this specific product from Hauppauge.

I guess the feasibility of a digital (hdmi input) version of the Hauppauge HD-PVR depends on the availability of a chip that can convert a raw uncompressed hdmi video stream into h.264. I'd guess the chip that the HD-PVR uses isn't capable of handling a digital rather than an analog input.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 /forum/post/19196943

I'd guess the chip that the HD-PVR uses isn't capable of handling a digital rather than an analog input.

Why not? An analog HD signal is effectively "uncompressed" and must be A/D converted and then compressed in real time.

If my cheap $120 monitor with HDMI input is capable of rendering the datastream, what's the big deal combining the HDMI receiving circuits found in everyday LCD panels plus the h264 real time encoders found in less than $200 1080i/p camcorders?

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/19197026

Why not? An analog HD signal is effectively "uncompressed" and must be A/D converted and then compressed in real time.

An analog signal is quite different from a digital signal, so a digital signal requires a chip that is explicitly made to deal with it. I'm not saying that a chip capable of handling a raw digital signal can't be made or doesn't exist, but simply that the chip used in the HD-PVR is unlikely to be also able to deal with a digital signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/19197026

If my cheap $120 monitor with HDMI input is capable of rendering the datastream, what's the big deal combining the HDMI receiving circuits found in everyday LCD panels plus the h264 real time encoders found in less than $200 1080i/p camcorders?

The big deal is the availability of a chip that does such a thing, you can't just combine random chips that were intended for different purposes together. Chips are easy and cheap to mass produce, but cost a lot to design, so manufacturers like Hauppauge generally base their products on existing chips, they rarely have the expertise to design their own chips, and even if they do, they would do that only if the product has a big enough market (which is hardly the case for a product that most likely would be illegal in the US and probably the EU too).

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 /forum/post/19193881

we are talking about capturing and handling a data stream which is multiple Gigabits per second (remember this is a full uncompressed HD video stream, plus the audio), this would require a lot of processing power.

The processing power required for capturing is not particularly heavy; indeed, its negligible all things considered. Storage capacity and STR performance, on the other hand, is quite high (as has been noted).

Processing power becomes an issue after the fact -- i.e. how you are going to manipulate that ginormous file you've written to disk from the uncompressed bitstream you've "captured".

Quote:
An analog signal is quite different from a digital signal

of course; you have to do ADC on the former, and voila, you're left with the same format as the later.

Quote:
a digital signal requires a chip that is explicitly made to deal with it. I'm not saying that a chip capable of handling a raw digital signal can't be made or doesn't exist

While I'm not up on the varying capabilities of most of the available existing decoder chips, it is by no means a stretch in technology for anyone to include a "raw digital input" interface (in addition to a dedicated TS interface) -- "all you would need to do" (famous last words) is include a FIFO pool with enough capacity and DMA channel to put it out on the system bus ... such a feature has likely been lacking on decider chipsets simply because of the prior deficiencies in storage and processing technologies that made the application (uncompressed capturing) unpractical.

Quote:
the chip used in the HD-PVR is unlikely to be also able to deal with a digital signal.

no. it's capable: http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-d...s/product.html

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK /forum/post/19198171

no. it's capable: http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-d...s/product.html

Interesting thanks for the link, it really appears to be able to deal with a digital hdmi/dvi input stream too.

That still leaves the legal issue (just because the master key is out there that doesn't mean it's legal to use in a commercial product), therefore I'd imagine that only some noname chinese manufacturer will produce something like this, not companies like Hauppauge.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK /forum/post/19198171

of course; you have to do ADC on the former, and voila, you're left with the same format as the later.

...which was my point

A stock $200 1080i/p camcorder that does realtime h264 encoding has to be crunching a lot of data from the CMOS video sensor...

Shouldn't matter whether the uncompressed video is coming off a CMOS sensor or down an HDMI wire.

The HDMI data rates are no new thing- HD-SDI connections have been around for ages, for deinterlacers/scalers, etc...

#60 ·
re; BlurRay HDCP issue- Intel appears to agree with me

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...ray-Is-Cracked

Quote:
"Intel has confirmed that the leaked HDCP master key protecting millions of Blu-ray discs and devices that was posted to the Web this week is legitimate. The disclosure means, in effect, that all Blu-ray discs can now be unlocked and copied. HDCP (High Definition Content Protection), which was created by Intel and is administered by Digital Content Protection LLP, is the content encryption scheme that protects data, typically movies, as they pass across a DVI or an HDMI cable. According to an Intel official, the most likely scenario for a hacker would be to create a computer chip with the master key embedded it, that could be used to decode Blu-ray discs."

Of course, I think all they mean is the ability to record the HDMI outs of a BluRay player. It still takes a working libBD+ and libAACS plus BD menu support to play BD discs on Linux without ripping first, of course.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpborges /forum/post/19151420

People, does anyone knows or have tried DVDFab Passkey on wine? I have it installed on a win7 partition for testing and it looks good. I've rent a Bluray that was AACS17 and BD+ and it worked fine. I need it or AnyDVD HD running on Linux to be able to use my Sony Optiarc BC-5500S drive on Linux. Once my BD drive is OEM it can't decrypt the discs but if I have DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD HD running in background and decrypting the disc I can play them fine on Win7.

I could install DVDFab Passkey on wine and after some struggle (to set the dvd drive) it can launch but it doesn't decrypt when there is a disc inserted. But it's the beginning... At least it could be installed on wine and I could get it running, playing around with settings etc, without errors...

People, I'm wondering if someone else had tried it and how far did you go?

#62 ·
Has anyone here tried lxBDPlayer yet?
http://lxbdplayer.sourceforge.net/

Apparently it allows to play back BD disks directly using mplayer, without making a decrypted backup. It uses makemkv libs for playing back commercial BDs.

There are some more details here (in German):
http://linuxundich.de/de/ubuntu/blu-...-linux-ubuntu/

Personally I haven't tried it yet, since I prefer to transcode my BDs to 720p MKV backups (to save hard disk space on my media server).

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 /forum/post/19825616

Has anyone here tried lxBDPlayer yet?
http://lxbdplayer.sourceforge.net/

Apparently it allows to play back BD disks directly using mplayer, without making a decrypted backup. It uses makemkv libs for playing back commercial BDs.

There are some more details here (in German):
http://linuxundich.de/de/ubuntu/blu-...-linux-ubuntu/

Personally I haven't tried it yet, since I prefer to transcode my BDs to 720p MKV backups (to save hard disk space on my media server).

From the English site-
http://lxbdplayer.sourceforge.net/english.html
Quote:
Warning ! lxBDPlayer can't read protected Bluray Disc

× You can add plugin in lxBDPlayer

× lxBDPlayer don't send any plugin to unprotect BlurayDisc

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/19835439

From the English site-
http://lxbdplayer.sourceforge.net/english.html

Quote:
Warning ! lxBDPlayer can't read protected Bluray Disc
× You can add plugin in lxBDPlayer

× lxBDPlayer don't send any plugin to unprotect BlurayDisc

It uses the makemkv libs to play protected disks (according to the German article I linked to above), I mentioned that. Or what else are you refering to?

#66 ·
Well I wish Free Software Foundation or somebody like that would be present when standards like Blu Ray are defined, so they can help make sure there is a way for "free software" to play it back.

I mean, isn't that part of the point of having the Free Software Foundation??? Where were they???

I also wish somebody like Corel would come out with either a WinDVD for Linux/BSD, or a commercial library which you could install and then use mplayer or the player of your choice to play the BD. Seems like FSF could have a role in making that happen, also.

But I guess my fellow Linux/FreeBSD fans wouldn't buy such a product. :-( If you guys refuse to pay for things, they never get made. :-(

--Brian

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x /forum/post/19982661

But I guess my fellow Linux/FreeBSD fans wouldn't buy such a product. :-( If you guys refuse to pay for things, they never get made. :-(

--Brian

That's really not the issue (at least not at this moment in time).

The current issue is that DRM and patents holders are unwilling to grant licenses to anyone other than big corporations. There have been similar instances where linux kernel developers have volunteered to sign non-disclosure agreements and pay licensing fees in order to develop drivers but have been told to go pound sand by the patent holder.

In fact, the DRM and patent issues surrounding BD are so bad that even Apple refuses to deal with them.

#68 ·
#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/19993682

re; DRM-

Latest Sony attempt is Cinavia watermarking-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1265114&page=5

If watermarking takes hold, it's the end of the A/V hobby as we know it.

No, it doesn't matter if out media PC's simply ignore the watermark.

Also, "Ultraviolet" DRM, though it appears related to streaming and should be another failed phone home scheme-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1266525

Technically Cinavia shouldn't be an issue for Linux HTPC users.

The main issue I have with it, is that it degrades the audio signal (regardless if it's noticeable or not, I'm against the principle of buying a DVD/BD with a purposefully degraded audio signal), so I will make a point in explicitly NOT buying any DVDs/BDs with Cinavia DRM, but rather download them if I want to see those movies (I don't normally download movies even though its' 100% legal here were I live, only uploading is illegal).

Sony can go f**k themselves...

Wikipedia has a list of all Cinavia releases (that I will avoid to buy):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

#70 ·
HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=67420

Quote:
Requirements

* A working install of MakeMKV. If you're installing under Linux, make sure you install both the source and the binary package, otherwise the commandline tool won't be there.

* A BluRay source, either a disc or iso's or something.. (What's the point otherwise...)

#71 ·
Cinavia DRM: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Blu-ray's Self-Destruction

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5693/c...fdestruction/3

Quote:
From our perspective, we feel that the Blu-ray industry (studios as well as the licensing authorities) is overpricing their technology in today's connected world. Most of the Blu-ray features such as BD-Live and interactive BD-J content are just too much effort spent for very little return (because the consumer has no real interest in using them). The addition of new licensing requirements such as Cinavia are preventing the natural downward price progression of Blu-ray related technology. Instead of spending time, money and effort on new DRM measures that get circumvented within a few days of release, the industry would do well to lower the launch price of Blu-rays. There is really no justification for the current media pricing.

We also covered some wonderful tools that enable the consumers to enjoy their Blu-rays in the best possible manner. It is really disappointing that backing up discs after removing the content protection mechanism is illegal in many parts of the world.

In light of what we have covered in this piece, we do hope the mainstream consumers wake up and evaluate whether the Blu-ray industry is really worthy of their support.

#72 ·
 http://entertainment.slashdot.org/st...-to-catch-hold

Quote:
Then there's the fact that the user experience with some Blu-ray players has been almost hilariously hostile. DVD players, with comparatively rare and usually irrelevant exceptions, don't have firmware updates. Blu-ray, not always something that can be relied on to avoid that.
Quote:
Ultimately Blue ray has a major design flaw. it forces people to update hardware that shouldn't need to be updated ever. google(or Bing) Blue Ray update problems. you get 80 million results.

James cameron's Avatar is the best example of it. something like 1/3 of the blue ray players had to receive a firmware update to play it.some took only 5-6 days to come out others took months.

when you finally got your update, you had o then hook your player up to the internet. for most people that means disassembling the tv stand moving the player to your computer desk and hooking it up there, along with a cheap tv so you can see what you are doing. Or making a really long patch cable and stringing through the house to hook up the player long enough to get the update.
Quote:
Plus, I have reservations about the Internet-connectivity on these discs. I buy a disc because I want the content forever. Is that content really forever if I have to download it from Sony each time I want to watch it? Can they use the connectivity to violate my privacy?

Plus, and I'm sure this has been fixed on the new high end players, but the original bluray players took 60-90 seconds to play a disc. My dvd player takes less than 10. Why would anyone want to sit around and wait for a player to boot?

Furthermore, the ever-changing DRM environment on Bluray discs is in perpetual upheaval. Many older players won't play newer discs. Some older players will, but only with firmware updates. But again, this is more hassle than I'm willing to deal with.
Quote:
And Blu-Ray really only benefits new movies. Catalog movies often suffer worse on Blu-Ray due to poor mastering. (Compare the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray releases of Apollo 13 - yikes. The Blu-Ray has blown highlights, extensive DNR and other crap that despite a 66% increase in available storage capacity, it has less details than the HD-DVD version - at times it's so bad signs in the background are blurry).
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...-blue-blu-ray/

#73 ·
#74 ·
I have stumbled across away to get easy bluray playback. The new mac-go player running in wine default no extra configure 5.9-5.12 runs flawless with anything I have tried playing, It's $40.00

Using Ubuntu 12.04 lts, Have tried Debian testing also sid an Fedora 17 but they are missing something i just cant figure out. Get audio on both but no video doing the same setup with wine an codecs but no go with the later two. Maybe someone else can figure it out but works flawless in Ubuntu!

#76 ·
I watch blue-rays with makemkv. You can run makemkv as a streaming server and attach vlc or mplayer to that stream and voiila, blue-ray in all it's glory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.