Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
EDIT: Added HOWTO link for first post-

HOWTO: Install and Run DVDfab Decrypter with wine

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132336

Quote:

There are still some major roadblocks with Linux though: direct BD playback, Netflix, iTunes, no real hw accel in Flash

I just saw a phoronix piece recently that mentioned Myth .24 will play BD discs directly including menus, with FFMPEG also updated for BD compatibility.

I think there are enough iTunes alternatives for music management/playback on Linux, and other apps for iPod syncing. Maybe Apple will do a web based iTunes, or maybe a Linux/Java client some day, or Google might do an iTunes alternative for Linux?

I think if the Steam thing takes off on Linux, the Netflix's and iTunes of the world will follow...

...remember, there is no more DRM on iTunes, so there is no point in making the iTunes app or store for only Win and Mac.

Besides, I recommend Amazon's MP3 store since they are also DRM free, lower cost usually, and have an Ubuntu/other Linux's native clients for purchases/downloads.

..yeah, yeah topic drift- just call me the Drifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

...re: BD playback

I just saw a phoronix piece recently that mentioned Myth .24 will play BD discs directly including menus, with FFMPEG also updated for BD compatibility...

Well, I like the sound of this. I figured that it was only a matter of time...

I don't 100% trust Phoronix though, so we'll see. Remember when they said that XvBA was available but it still isn't?

I agree with you about the big box stores having to offer a rebate on Windows if you don't want it, though. I would gladly petition Congress to pass something that would enforce this.
post #3 of 82 Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

Well, I like the sound of this. I figured that it was only a matter of time...

I don't 100% trust Phoronix though, so we'll see. Remember when they said that XvBA was available but it still isn't?

I agree with you about the big box stores having to offer a rebate on Windows if you don't want it, though. I would gladly petition Congress to pass something that would enforce this.

Prolly oughta start a BD on Linux thread, but...

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127939

Quote:

05-11-2010, 04:46 PM

For whatever it is worth, I am the developer working on Blu-ray disc parsing and playback for MythTV .24. The code is already in trunk and works well for a baseline. BDMV folders are properly parsed, the primary title is selected and played. Basic metadata from the disc is available and I am working on patches to enrich the playback experience including being able to play the secondary titles (There is no support for blu-ray menus yet so this will all be accomplished within the Myth UI), improve seeking, and when libaacs and libbdplus mature a bit, to allow users to install those libraries and use them with Myth.

The code has a long ways to go but it's a fun project and a good start.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODI0MQ

Quote:

MythTV 0.24 is already in development and its slated to bring a new MythUI OSD (On-Screen Display), a nearly rewritten audio subsystem, Blu-ray disc and disc structure playback, and other performance, usability, and flexibility improvements. The new audio subsystem is to be capable of handling 24 and 32-bit audio and up to eight channels of audio output.

In terms of Blu-ray support within open-source software, the x264 / VLC project has had success working on a Blu-ray encoder, Xine-lib has also been working on Blu-ray support, MPlayer now supports most HD-DVD and Blu-ray codecs, and the format has been a growing focus within the FFmpeg project.

post #4 of 82 Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

A thread dedicated to all things BluRay on Linux- ripping, transcoding, disc playback, etc. If populated with enough good reference info, maybe make the thread sticky.

To start-

From

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127939

Quote:

05-11-2010, 04:46 PM

For whatever it is worth, I am the developer working on Blu-ray disc parsing and playback for MythTV .24. The code is already in trunk and works well for a baseline. BDMV folders are properly parsed, the primary title is selected and played. Basic metadata from the disc is available and I am working on patches to enrich the playback experience including being able to play the secondary titles (There is no support for blu-ray menus yet so this will all be accomplished within the Myth UI), improve seeking, and when libaacs and libbdplus mature a bit, to allow users to install those libraries and use them with Myth.

The code has a long ways to go but it's a fun project and a good start.

and Myth .24 to support BluRay

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODI0MQ

Quote:

MythTV 0.24 is already in development and its slated to bring a new MythUI OSD (On-Screen Display), a nearly rewritten audio subsystem, Blu-ray disc and disc structure playback, and other performance, usability, and flexibility improvements. The new audio subsystem is to be capable of handling 24 and 32-bit audio and up to eight channels of audio output.

In terms of Blu-ray support within open-source software, the x264 / VLC project has had success working on a Blu-ray encoder, Xine-lib has also been working on Blu-ray support, MPlayer now supports most HD-DVD and Blu-ray codecs, and the format has been a growing focus within the FFmpeg project.

post #5 of 82 Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 82 Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

post #7 of 82 Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Yes Mike is adding Blu-Ray support to MythTV, but only for unencrypted Blu-Rays.

Quote:

It's already in trunk. Of course, it only supports unencrypted Blu-ray discs and disc structures (exactly like the DVD support in MythTV--the difference, however, being that there is no equivalent to libdvdcss for Blu-rays--so you can't even add something outside of MythTV to decrypt them).

post #8 of 82 Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 PM

TLDR

I use AnyDVD in a Winhose VM because it ALWAYS works. I'll check out DVDFab later when I'm certain that its functionality is the same for free (and without time limits).

I've already paid $60 for AnyDVD, and it has worked with every Blu-Ray that I have fed to it.

Flame on.
post #9 of 82 Old 06-02-2010, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

TLDR

I use AnyDVD in a Winhose VM because it ALWAYS works. I'll check out DVDFab later when I'm certain that its functionality is the same for free (and without time limits).

I've already paid $60 for AnyDVD, and it has worked with every Blu-Ray that I have fed to it.

Flame on.

Admit it, you can't let go of Windows yet!

DVDFab (the free version) has ALWAYS WORKED flawlessly for me so far, therefore using AnyDVD is entirely unnecessary (although if you have a paid license I can understand you want to make use of it).

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #10 of 82 Old 06-02-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

It seemed like an omission not to include a reference to this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1213267

(I have not kept up with status of that method.. it did work for me, at least to rip, when I tested)
post #11 of 82 Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

Admit it, you can't let go of Windows yet!

DVDFab (the free version) has ALWAYS WORKED flawlessly for me so far, therefore using AnyDVD is entirely unnecessary (although if you have a paid license I can understand you want to make use of it).

...could sell the AnyDVD license on ebay/craigslist, unless resale rights have been revoked...

(trying to purge Windows from existence )
post #12 of 82 Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM

I hear you guys, but I watch Netflix online, too, and I actually have to boot into Winblows to do that. Sux, I know, but until that changes or until I get another device that is compatible with Netflix, then I'm stuck in Win just to do that.
post #13 of 82 Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear you guys, but I watch Netflix online, too, and I actually have to boot into Winblows to do that. Sux, I know, but until that changes or until I get another device that is compatible with Netflix, then I'm stuck in Win just to do that.

...dude, we're having an intervention for you- like getting an addict friend off some bad sh!t

The money you make selling your Windows and AnyDVD licenses would pay for a Roku, or Netflix capable DVD/BD set top

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

According to
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1253931

a Netflix capable set top can be had for as low as $30-$50 on ebay, with mkv file playback and Pandora to boot. Get a deal on one with a broken disc transport- it should still play .mkv's from USB and stream Netflix (though I've never tried one)...

...I may get one of those used Insignia BD set tops just for the USB and disc .mkv playback...
post #14 of 82 Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

...dude, we're having an intervention for you- like getting an addict friend off some bad sh!t

The money you make selling your Windows and AnyDVD licenses would pay for a Roku, or Netflix capable DVD/BD set top

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

According to
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1253931

a Netflix capable set top can be had for as low as $30-$50 on ebay, with mkv file playback and Pandora to boot. Get a deal on one with a broken disc transport- it should still play .mkv's from USB and stream Netflix (though I've never tried one)...

...I may get one of those used Insignia BD set tops just for the USB and disc .mkv playback...

This is exactly why I love you, Rgb!

Sadly, though, I also stream movies to Livestream (although I haven't lately...see my sig for the link), and this also requires Win-bitch-ass-mofos-that-rob-you for the capture software and the Flash video feed. Basically, what I do is play the video on my desktop, capture it, re-encode it to H.264, and then send it to the Flash video server where it can broadcast the video to any number of viewers (I've had over 500 viewers at one point which is pretty awesome considering that the bandwidth is 500kbps for each feed). I haven't been able to find any software in Linux to do this.
post #15 of 82 Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is exactly why I love you, Rgb!

Sadly, though, I also stream movies to Livestream (although I haven't lately...see my sig for the link), and this also requires Win-bitch-ass-mofos-that-rob-you for the capture software and the Flash video feed. Basically, what I do is play the video on my desktop, capture it, re-encode it to H.264, and then send it to the Flash video server where it can broadcast the video to any number of viewers (I've had over 500 viewers at one point which is pretty awesome considering that the bandwidth is 500kbps for each feed). I haven't been able to find any software in Linux to do this.

Have you tried WebCamStudio?

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/bro...am-t4962.html?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/webcamstudio/

or the LiveStream Linux beta?
http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3438

I would think VLC or mplayer/gstreamer could be set up to do any intermediate conversion you need in realtime...

This is 2010. It is unacceptable for any web site/web app to be platform specific. I would never use any site that is tied to one (or two) OS's/platforms, and let them know why. Supporting any public website that doesn't support any platform (computer OS, phone OS, pad OS, etc) is just "feeding the beast".
post #16 of 82 Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Interesting, as this will mean one less thing I have to use Windows for. Right now I still have to use Windows for TV Wonder 650, but that is fine. Also, I haven't seen a way to control gamma like I need with my CRT. The Nvidia XP driver has the ability and that is the only way as far as I know.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #17 of 82 Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM

WHAT BETA???

I'll be more than happy to experiment with a beta once one actually surfaces.

I'll check out the other links that you posted, too, but the main problem here is getting a video stream fed to a Flash server. Sure, I can capture and re-encode video from my desktop all day long in Linux, but can I feed it to a Flash server? No, I cannot. Well, maybe I can, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

EDITED for content.
post #18 of 82 Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

HOWTO:

The Hassle-Free Guide to Ripping Your Blu-Ray Collection

http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-ha...ray-collection

Quote:

Blu-Ray discs may be more protected and harder to play in certain programs, like XBMC, but that doesn't mean you can't play your HD video on your media center. Here's how to rip and compress Blu-Ray discs for high quality, space-saving results.

Blu-Ray is not the most friendly of formats. It's highly proprietary and copy protected, you can't skip past previews, the discs only play in a few choice desktop computer programs (like PowerDVD), and they don't play on Mac or Linux at all. Luckily, video encoding has come a long way since the days of lower quality, 700MB XviD DVD rips, an you can get high quality Blu-Ray rips can weigh in anywhere between 4 and 12 GB each, depending on how close to the original source you want them to be, and boy do they look good.

Quote:

We combed through the options to pull together the simplest, working method using and best free programs we could find. In addition, everyone's preferences on quality and method of encoding are different, so you may prefer some advanced options we do not cover here, but this is intended to be a fairly simple, hassle-free guide for people who want to get the job done. It makes a compromise between being easy to execute without sacrificing too much quality. Also, while this method is designed for Windows, I can personally vouch for this method on Linux as well (see below for notes on DVDFab in Wine)...

post #19 of 82 Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

post #20 of 82 Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

MakeMKV for Linux

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Quote:

MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.

Additionally MakeMKV can instantly stream decrypted video without intermediate conversion to wide range of players, so you may watch Blu-ray and DVD discs with your favorite player on your favorite OS or on your favorite device.

Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs
Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
Preserves chapters information
Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
Fast conversion - converts as fast as your drive can read data.
No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.

post #21 of 82 Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Just a note about playlist files in Bluray: I'll typically open them up with tsMuxeR then convert them to MKV format.

I did this with both the 1080p and 720p mkv's that I uploaded to archive.org for Night of The Living Dead. I also included the MKV chapters file in case you wanted to use it when making your own copy from the raw m2ts rip.

By the way, it's had over 7000 downloads now and no complaints. I'm pretty proud of that.
post #22 of 82 Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

VideoLAN Announces libaacs (integration)

Quote:

VideoLAN, makers of the well-known media player VLC, have just announced a new project called libaacs. The libaacs library's intention is to provide a free software library to implement the AACS specification, the copy-protection found on things such as Blu-ray discs. Note that this isn't meant to actually be a decoding library. It includes no AACS keys and is solely developed for research purposes

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libaacs.html

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/ar...0/08/10/212208
post #23 of 82 Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 PM

It was mentioned in another thread that MakeMKV will decrypt blu-rays and rip them into mkv files. I just had a chance to test this and, YES, it does in fact work as advertised! It decrypts AACS and BD+ and you can backup the whole disc or select specific titles and audio tracks to rip into mkv's. It even adds chapter info. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

They will be charging for it, but I don't mind that at all -- I'm just happy to be doing this natively in Linux. It's still free while in BETA. Here's the download and install info: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

I took a few snapshots of it in action:

Here's the mediainfo output on the mkv for the main title (after I renamed it):

Code:
General
Complete name                    : Night of the Living Dead (1968).mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 15.4 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 35mn
Overall bit rate                 : 23.0 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-08-12 02:16:48
Writing application              : MakeMKV v1.5.8 linux(x86-release)
Writing library                  : libmakemkv v1.5.8 (0.7.7/0.8.1) i486-linux-gnu

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 20.5 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.413
Stream size                      : 13.8 GiB (89%)
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 1.01 GiB (7%)
Title                            : 2/0
Language                         : English

Audio #2
ID                               : 3
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 448 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Stream size                      : 307 MiB (2%)
Title                            : 2/0
Language                         : English

Menu
00:00:00.000                     : en:Chapter 00
00:05:11.894                     : en:Chapter 01
00:10:07.189                     : en:Chapter 02
00:18:58.137                     : en:Chapter 03
00:31:54.203                     : en:Chapter 04
00:39:52.807                     : en:Chapter 05
00:48:27.487                     : en:Chapter 06
00:55:27.782                     : en:Chapter 07
01:04:27.738                     : en:Chapter 08
01:15:26.855                     : en:Chapter 09
01:22:44.042                     : en:Chapter 10
01:33:46.495                     : en:Chapter 11
post #24 of 82 Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

mythmaster, I'm glad you finally discovered Makemkv too!

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #25 of 82 Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM

haha -- oh, it was THIS thread!
post #26 of 82 Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you try the streaming thru VLC approach? (ie. no rip needed.. essentially creating a BR player) I never got that to work when I played with makemkv a few months ago. Rip-then-play worked fine tho.

I'll have to try again (I'm sure the app is updated since I tried it)
post #27 of 82 Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM

MakeMKV has a streaming server built in, as well. I haven't tested either one.
post #28 of 82 Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MakeMKV has a streaming server built in, as well. I haven't tested either one.

Sorry, I think that is what I was referring to.

MakeMKV would stream and VLC would rcv the stream and display it... so you could play back without the 15-30G of disk space needed to rip (and without waiting for the rip)
post #29 of 82 Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

Sorry, I think that is what I was referring to.

MakeMKV would stream and VLC would rcv the stream and display it... so you could play back without the 15-30G of disk space needed to rip (and without waiting for the rip)

Oh, I was thinking of something else. I'll play around with it and see if I can get it to work.
post #30 of 82 Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM

It works great with (s)mplayer!

I put this URL in:
Code:
http://192.168.0.102:51000/stream/title0.m2ts
and it plays perfectly. VLC won't even play the mkv smoothly (is it even using VDPAU? who knows).

So, now all we need is to get that lib from videolan that supports menus worked in somehow.

I was also goofing around with it in XBMC but I couldn't get it to work (streaming...not implementing the lib). I'm sure that there's a way, though...
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page