Linux audio architecture discussion (ALSA, OSS, Pulse, Jack, etc) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We actually had a very similar thread in the past already:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1241532

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #33 of 53 Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

We actually had a very similar thread in the past already:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1241532

Merged that thread with this one and moved relevant posts from the Steam discussion.
post #34 of 53 Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

I don't know anything about linux audio architecture other than I wish it worked better . Why do we have all these layers and different systems (Pulse, OSS, ALSA)? Just as I was getting to understand ALSA Pulse came along and ruined my world . I guess I need to read up on these a bit more.

Now that this thread has been merged, I now have a history of why we have these different layers and systems.

darkphoenix and tux, thanks for the discussion!
post #35 of 53 Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Well, I haven't re-read through the merge, but I'll just say that ALSA plus the OSS plug-in for ALSA have always worked very well for me. And this includes games running under Wine or Cedega or SDL and even Flash with the extrasound mod.

Pulseaudio, while I admire its goals of networked sound, has always caused more trouble than it's worth, and I typically won't install it or I'll uninstall it if I have to.

JACK, on the other hand, is a godsend. Sure, it's a bit more difficult to set up and you need a low-latency kernel to really appreciate it, but it is, by far, my favorite. Any application that is worth anything will have a direct sound output to JACK, also -- Mplayer, Amarok, etc.

So, that's just my $0.02 worth on Linux sound; and, apparently, Rgb has *finally* been given mod status. Kudos, my friend! Please don't delete my OT thread because I really do need to post music videos somewhere when I'm drunk. It is crucial to my sanity.
post #36 of 53 Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 AM

I gotta say I agree with Adobe on this one. This graph is the best representation of Linux audio I have ever seen.

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...he_jungle.html

The worst part is he's missing quite a few arrows. :P
post #37 of 53 Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphoenix22 View Post

I gotta say I agree with Adobe on this one. This graph is the best representation of Linux audio I have ever seen.

That's about the worst graph I have ever seen, it only proves that the author of the graph hasn't got a clue (or he did it messy on purpose to make his point).

The graph at the link I posted in the first post of this thead is a good graph.

darkphoenix22, your sarcastic, negative attitude to Linux audio is neither wanted nor in any way helpful.
If you don't like how things are, then make them better (and no, whining doen't improve a thing, only coding and packaging will).

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #38 of 53 Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

darkphoenix22, your sarcastic, negative attitude to Linux audio is neither wanted nor in any way helpful.
If you don't like how things are, then make them better (and no, whining doen't improve a thing, only coding and packaging will).

Code doesn't solve organizational and political problems.

I apologize if I caused any offence but the reason why that graph was accurate is because we don't need all those boxes and arrows.

We can make do with 3, maybe 4 boxes: ALSA, OpenAL, JACK, and maybe, GStreamer (The initial simplicity of GStreamer is useful for media players and web browsers. It, however, is NOT an audio framework and is not suitable for advanced media creation).

4 boxes, all with only *one* arrow pointing to ALSA. That is the audio system Linux needs. And it's politics, not code, that's preventing us from having that system.
post #39 of 53 Old 05-31-2014, 05:30 PM

per program audio control is essential to a DAW pulse audio is 16 bit junk to accomodate the sdl format.
spdif and 64bit need to be the only interface for pro audio work
post #40 of 53 Old 05-31-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekroluma View Post

per program audio control is essential to a DAW pulse audio is 16 bit junk to accomodate the sdl format.
spdif and 64bit need to be the only interface for pro audio work

This is an old thread. A lot of the posters in this thread no longer contribute to this forum. And besides, it looks like you only joined just to complain. If you want to say something, start a new thread, don't post in a four year old one.

Besides, any one building a Linux Digital Audio Workstation would use the JACK Audio Connection Kit. But I'm sure you already knew that.
post #41 of 53 Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM

Liked: 16
facebook told me that linux is dookie.
post #42 of 53 Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm guessing you mean the other way round... biggrin.gif

facebook is one social dookie IMO...
post #43 of 53 Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM

lol smile.gif
post #44 of 53 Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

What I find most disconcerting is that his one negative Linux-related post garnered 10 "Thumbs- Up".

It took the rest of us quite a long time to reach that level. I guess it was in the "new posts" section, and a lot of the Linux-haters jumped at the chance to kick us.
post #45 of 53 Old 06-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

What I find most disconcerting is that his one negative Linux-related post garnered 10 "Thumbs- Up".

It took the rest of us quite a long time to reach that level. I guess it was in the "new posts" section, and a lot of the Linux-haters jumped at the chance to kick us.

In marketing we have a saying that an unhappy customer will have no problem telling 10 people about there unhappiness, but a happy customer will only tell 1 person...sadly the majority of the human population has a hateful attitude. I once posted in the main HTPC forum trying to help a windows user having trouble in which I know Linux would have been a better option (at the time I was a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert), it was a non-confrontational post and in no way slammed M$ as the OP was open to using whatever OS would work for him...OMG...the hateful post I received after that you'd swear that I was devil reincarnated to destroy Jesus himself! I rarely post in that forum now even though many times I have an answer that will solve a users problem.
post #46 of 53 Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

In marketing we have a saying that an unhappy customer will have no problem telling 10 people about there unhappiness, but a happy customer will only tell 1 person...sadly the majority of the human population has a hateful attitude. I once posted in the main HTPC forum trying to help a windows user having trouble in which I know Linux would have been a better option (at the time I was a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert), it was a non-confrontational post and in no way slammed M$ as the OP was open to using whatever OS would work for him...OMG...the hateful post I received after that you'd swear that I was devil reincarnated to destroy Jesus himself! I rarely post in that forum now even though many times I have an answer that will solve a users problem.

People are very attached to what they pay for. Nobody wants to think they spent their money poorly. Though we all do it. We all have purchases we've regretted. However, the higher the price tag, the more likely we are defend our choice.

That's different of Linux, or more specifically open source. We can objectively talk about shortcomings, advantages and disadvantages with a more open mind because the only thing we've invested is time.

I've ran into a few Linux snobs that like to beat their chests, but overall the Linux community is infinitely more friendly and helpful than other OS based communities I've partook in.
post #47 of 53 Old 06-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think new members get an automatic 10 Thumbs Up. If you look at anybody that's joined recently they have 10, but no actual comments or links to threads.
post #48 of 53 Old 06-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minivanman View Post

I could be wrong, but I think new members get an automatic 10 Thumbs Up. If you look at anybody that's joined recently they have 10, but no actual comments or links to threads.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.
post #49 of 53 Old 06-03-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minivanman View Post

You mean since I joined in 2007 I only got one Thumbs Up?

Good God, I must really suck!!
sysadmin likes this.
post #50 of 53 Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:

You mean since I joined in 2007 I only got one Thumbs Up?

Good God, I must really suck!!

nobody loves you, lol tongue.gif

same here, though. meh.

+1 for handling that guy smile.gif
waterhead likes this.
post #51 of 53 Old 06-03-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

THANKS!

Now I have two Thumbs Up, one per decade. By the time I'm 90 years old I should reach five. lol
post #52 of 53 Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

THANKS!

Now I have two Thumbs Up, one per decade. By the time I'm 90 years old I should reach five. lol

Not your fault at all, and not very fair either...

Non Linux users usually tend to feel intimidated very quickly when confronted by a Linux guru...

Don't expect them to be throwing thumbs up at you even if you're helping them... biggrin.gif

Such is the world we live in today...
post #53 of 53 Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm only joking. I don't help out for the attaboys. I just want to assist people in using Linux, so that they can dump the evil Microsoft. wink.gif
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page