Linux and flat panel TVs, projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it's one thing I've learned about Linux, it's that you have to have the right hardware.

I had a terrible video tearing issue that I fought with for a long time. Then I went and bought a Nvidia video card and it autodetected and worked.

I had a persistent sound problem with my onboard sound, and tried to get it all configured for weeks, then I went and bought a cheap $10 soundcard and my sound has worked fine ever since.

I have a persistent and impossible to solve problem with overscan on my Sony HS420 HDTV. NVidia finally released a driver with overscan compensation but it doesn't work with my set for some reason...the overscan slider literally doesn't appear in my nvidia-settings, and Nvidia says that sometimes it just doesn't work with all TVs. Well, I need one of the TVs that just works. I love my Sony CRT to pieces, but I need to use it with a HTPC. So that means, I can continue struggling with it, or I can go buy a new TV that will work perfectly.

So, what do I need to look for when shopping for a TV or projector to use with a Linux HTPC? I have an Nvidia 8400GS card and I usually use Ubuntu with Nvidia proprietary drivers. I want the TV to JUST WORK, with no more drama than my LCD computer monitor. Do I need to look for a "monitor mode", or a pixel mapping specification, or particular brands, or what? I haven't decided if I'm getting a Plasma, LCD or a DLP projector yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I always verify 1:1 pixel mapping and good quality scaling without overscan (i.e. display 1280x720 or 1366x768 on a 1920x1080 LCD edge to edge, for example) before buying.

You need to check the LCD HDTV forums here and search for "pixel mapping" or "1:1" in a thread for the model you are interested in.

As a general rule, Sony displays (projectors, LCD's, etc) don't work well with PC's (any OS) going back forever.

Also as a general rule, most 1080p LCD panels nowadays do display 1920x1080 from a PC without scaling. The caveat is that some models only do it via HDMI, some only via VGA, but many do it via both HDMI and VGA- you need to research and read the user manual for the set you plan to buy. THe manufacturer's website usually has the manual for download as a PDF. Check for "passthrough", "native", "1:1" or similar "Aspect" mode on the set. The manual may also explicity state it supports 1920x1080 from a PC over VGA and/or HDMI.

While researching last Fall, I found that Sharp and Samsung LCD panels did 1:1 1920x1080 from a PC at least through HDMI. I believe Philips did, too. So, Olevia, Philips, Samsung, Sharp and many other brands easy to find at Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc should work as PC monitors fine.

As a failsafe, I only buy locally (or from a website with local return policy like Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc) so if the set doesn't work well with a PC (or any other issue) I can return it easily , without shipping cost.

I had a Winbook 32" 768p LCD, then an Olevia 42" 768p and now a Sceptre 46" 1080p LCD, and all pixel map their native resolutions fine, though ironically, I now run my Ubuntu HTPC at 1270x720/1280x768/1366x768 and the set scales it nicely and smoothly, just to get larger icons and text for readability for routine web browsing and apps from my seating position. The resolution is set to 1920x1080 for HD or DVD playback, of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sound advice there from Rgb.
I'd just like to add that it's a lot easier with projectors, since AFAIK (almost) all recent projectors (and even most older ones) support 1:1 pixel mapping over DVI/HDMI or VGA D-sub simply because they were always also meant to be connected to a PC.

Personally I like Optoma, they make good quality projectors at very competitive prices. I currently have a HD-700X (1280x720). It works flawlessly at it's native resolution both with Intel and Nvidia cards using Linux.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site:
post #4 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Bottom line- the dirty turd is Sony (ain't it always ) not Linux or the hardware you chose for your HTPC.

post #5 of 25 Old 06-27-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Is it only LCDs that can 1:1 map? I've been looking more toward plasmas because I really need good black levels. Do plasmas have more scaling/overscan issues than LCDs? I would buy a projector, but I'm worried about noise mostly.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravon View Post

Is it only LCDs that can 1:1 map? I've been looking more toward plasmas because I really need good black levels. Do plasmas have more scaling/overscan issues than LCDs? I would buy a projector, but I'm worried about noise mostly.

A coworker's 50" LG plasma (~2009MY) with 1366(1368?)x768 resolution automagically pixel mapped the Ubuntu/Nvidia load I did for him over a year ago.

Again, you need to read the manual for the model you plan to buy and/or do the research on avs and google.

As a safety measure, be sure you can easily return the panel if tests with your own PC fail.

As of 2010, it's not any computer's or OS's fault when a display doesn't work well with them- it's the display's fault (projector, panel, etc).

I've been around the block ad nauseum on this since the late 90's- never understood why anyone would buy a display that wasn't known to work well with a computer in the first place. Then people spend ridiculous effort and time futzing with the Powerstrip's of yore, or manual xorg.conf editing and overscan hacking.

SELL or sh!tcan a display you own that won't work well with common PC/HDTV resolutions and won't disable overscan properly!

With the HUGE amount of displays that DO work well with common PC resolutions WITHOUT overscan, this is a DEAD issue.

post #7 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

As a general rule, Sony displays (projectors, LCD's, etc) don't work well with PC's (any OS) going back forever.

I've used my Sony KDL40V3000 television with a variety of Linux distributions and two different nVIDIA cards without experiencing any problems. I did have to set the TV to "full pixel" mode, but other than that it's worked flawlessly with a DVI<>HDMI cable. It defaults to 1920x1080 at installation, but I run at 1280x720 since I can't read the type at the higher resolution from the couch. (These things happen when you reach 60 .)
post #8 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a Panasonic P42s2 plasma panel. There is a way to disable overscan...it's not called anything sensible, but it's in advanced options and it seems to display my whole desktop just like a computer monitor would. I'm not 100% sure I like the display yet...there seems to be some wierd auto-brightness that I can't disable...but other than that it seems pretty computer-compatible.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

I have issues with my Sony LCD as well. It has a "Full Pixel" mode, but the stupid TV doesn't "remember" the setting, so you have to set it each time the resolution changes! I've since settled on having XBMC use a smaller GUI size which comes within the amount of overscan.
post #10 of 25 Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

but I run at 1280x720 since I can't read the type at the higher resolution from the couch. (These things happen when you reach 60 .)

I do the same thing as mentioned earlier- yet more evidence that 720p is sufficient resolution for most people most of the time for video playback, vs. the wasteful 1080p video formats and files (space/bandwidth) and more expensive 1080p panels and projectors (though 1080p panels are really cheap now).

Just an off topic pet peeve of mine, and a topic for debate in another forum- I'd rather have better contrast, cheaper/more efficient bulbs, better color, better black level detail vs more pixels...

post #11 of 25 Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Just an off topic pet peeve of mine, and a topic for debate in another forum- I'd rather have better contrast, cheaper/more efficient bulbs, better color, better black level detail vs more pixels...

Or a display that doesn't fluctuate in brightness depending on screen content. I've done some reading and I guess it's a known issue and called "floating blacks", and Panasonic insists that it's a feature not a bug...some people think it might be necessary to get the panels to meet energy usage requirements.

Anyway, it's bad enough that my plasma is going back. I have no idea what to replace it with though. LCD is out of the question and there's not a lot of choices is the plasma arena.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's one thing I've learned about Linux, it's that you have to have the right hardware.

I had a terrible video tearing issue that I fought with for a long time. Then I went and bought a Nvidia video card and it autodetected and worked.

I had a persistent sound problem with my onboard sound, and tried to get it all configured for weeks, then I went and bought a cheap $10 soundcard and my sound has worked fine ever since.

I have a persistent and impossible to solve problem with overscan on my Sony HS420 HDTV. NVidia finally released a driver with overscan compensation but it doesn't work with my set for some reason...the overscan slider literally doesn't appear in my nvidia-settings, and Nvidia says that sometimes it just doesn't work with all TVs. Well, I need one of the TVs that just works. I love my Sony CRT to pieces, but I need to use it with a HTPC. So that means, I can continue struggling with it, or I can go buy a new TV that will work perfectly.

So, what do I need to look for when shopping for a TV or projector to use with a Linux HTPC? I have an Nvidia 8400GS card and I usually use Ubuntu with Nvidia proprietary drivers. I want the TV to JUST WORK, with no more drama than my LCD computer monitor. Do I need to look for a "monitor mode", or a pixel mapping specification, or particular brands, or what? I haven't decided if I'm getting a Plasma, LCD or a DLP projector yet.

This problem exsists in Windows also. No overscan correction for CRT based sets. Overscan correction isn't needed for flat panels sets, so what's the point?
post #13 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 PM

I suggest find a non-HDCP compliant TV or else make sure you buy a new video card that actually supports it. If the TV is being showcase, I suggest check the menu to see if there is any way to adjust overscan for HDMI and VGA inputs. Also you are hooking up the computer to an surround sound processor or AV receiver, also check for similar features. Though, I do think that digital TV gives an illusion that they are being underscan, but they are not because of the plastic flange that goes around it.

For any TV or monitor these days, I always check the viewing angle. If the color fade away or the brightness adjust too much, that TV or monitor is off the list even it got an editorial award from a reputable reviewer. If I am comparing contrast ratios, I check reputable reviewers that has a standard way of measuring the contrast ratios. All manufactures have different ways to measure contrast ratios, so their spec is irrelevant for your decision.

Do not worry about energy consumption because this changes after it is calibrated. Usually a proper calibrated TV, is more efficient than a TV that is out of the box set at factory settings and/or being showcase. You would think that the TV on display, should be calibrated.

I have used an rear projection TV based on Sony's SXRD and it worked OK in Linux. This is at the time when digital audio with HDMI is new in Linux. Digital audio sometimes work, but when it worked it will be lost during scanning through a video.

I suggest call each manufacture and get a technician that understands what you are trying to say. The technician should be able to recommend models that have a high compatibility rate to work with computers. At this time it is trial-n-error process, so your guess is good as mine.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

HDCP isn't used at all in Linux, so it can be completely ignored when using Linux.

post #15 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I have a persistent and impossible to solve problem with overscan on my Sony HS420 HDTV. NVidia finally released a driver with overscan compensation but it doesn't work with my set for some reason...the overscan slider literally doesn't appear in my nvidia-settings...

I had that same problem. My TV does not have a setting for allowing 1:1 pixel mapping. It is the Samsung LNS2738D (27"). Interestingly, the manual says on page 4:

Quote:

"Use the HDMI/DVI terminal for DVI connection to an external device. You should use the DVI to HDMI cable or DVI-HDMI adapter (DVI to HDMI) for video connection"

But, in page 12 it says:

Quote:

The HDMI/DVI jacks do not support PC connection.

I guess they are only meant for DVI DVD players or other similar devices that need to be scaled up.

Any way, here is what I did to resolve it. (Note that this may only work on some nVidia cards. On my PC at work I have an older card and this does not work.) Launch the NVIDIA Display Settings as root. Set the resolution to something other than the default one in order for the slider to appear. I think I had to log out and log back in as well. After that, the slider was there and I was able to stretch the display to the borders of my TV monitor. The edges of the desktop where still cut off, but that was fixed by setting the resolution back to the default one. Hope this helps.
post #16 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

HDCP isn't used at all in Linux, so it can be completely ignored when using Linux.

I disagree because when using proprietary drivers from nVidia and ATI may have it. Saying to ignore HDCP or other copy protections for video is just being ignorant. When I used S-Video to output from the computer and hook it up to a TV, I can not play a DVD movie with out getting a blank screen. I used XVideo at the time, but using OpenGL to display the video fix the problem. I was using a nVidia graphics card with their proprietary drivers. I did this about five years ago. Eventually TV or any video home equipment will not accept any signal that is not in HDCP compliance.

At this time video cards are HDCP compliant. Drivers might have to be in compliance of HDCP.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroju View Post

I disagree because when using proprietary drivers from nVidia and ATI may have it. Saying to ignore HDCP or other copy protections for video is just being ignorant. When I used S-Video to output from the computer and hook it up to a TV, I can not play a DVD movie with out getting a blank screen. I used XVideo at the time, but using OpenGL to display the video fix the problem. I was using a nVidia graphics card with their proprietary drivers. I did this about five years ago. Eventually TV or any video home equipment will not accept any signal that is not in HDCP compliance.

At this time video cards are HDCP compliant. Drivers might have to be in compliance of HDCP.

Rubbish, you seem to have a very misguided understanding of HDCP.

The proprietary Nvidia Linux drivers do not implement HDCP and AFAIK never will, since HDCP requires a 'trusted' binary-only player app to be of any use (to the media mafia, for us users it's useless anyway), i.e. the whole chain from the player to the screen needs to be HDCP compliant (trusted), not just the link between the graphics card and the screen.
I have no recent experience of the ATI Linux driver but since the same reasons apply to it too I expect it has no HDCP either.

Video cards are never HDCP compliant per se, they simply provide the option of enabling HDCP, should the player app require it and the drivers support it.

Display devices never require HDCP, they simply are HDCP capable, but it's always the source device that decides if to send a HDCP encrypted stream or a plain digital video stream.

Your S-Video issues had nothing whatsoever to do with HDCP (or any other DRM), since HDCP is purely for digital video outputs (hdmi/DVI).

See also here if you don't take my word for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ba...ent_Protection

post #18 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

Rubbish, you seem to have a very misguided understanding of HDCP.

The proprietary Nvidia Linux drivers do not implement HDCP and AFAIK never will, since HDCP requires a 'trusted' binary-only player app to be of any use (to the media mafia, for us users it's useless anyway), i.e. the whole chain from the player to the screen needs to be HDCP compliant (trusted), not just the link between the graphics card and the screen.
I have no recent experience of the ATI Linux driver but since the same reasons apply to it too I expect it has no HDCP either.

Video cards are never HDCP compliant per se, they simply provide the option of enabling HDCP, should the player app require it and the drivers support it.

Display devices never require HDCP, they simply are HDCP capable, but it's always the source device that decides if to send a HDCP encrypted stream or a plain digital video stream.

Your S-Video issues had nothing whatsoever to do with HDCP (or any other DRM), since HDCP is purely for digital video outputs (hdmi/DVI).

See also here if you don't take my word for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ba...ent_Protection

You missed my point whole entirely.

I did not say the issue that I had with S-Video is HDCP. I said the proprietary driver has placed in copy protections to not show overlays on S-Video. Back then when I tried it, HDCP was not out in the public. Also Blu-Ray was not even out back then.

Stop skimming posts.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

You missed my point whole entirely.

I did not say the issue that I had with S-Video is HDCP. I said the proprietary driver has placed in copy protections to not show overlays on S-Video. Back then when I tried it, HDCP was not out in the public. Also Blu-Ray was not even out back then.

Stop skimming posts.

This discussion of HDCP is ridiculous as is the nitpicking of tux's post. I think you missed his point, HDCP has no relevance with Linux because nothing it sends is going to have content protection that needs HDCP. If you argument is that this may change someday I wouldn't hold your breath.

post #20 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I said the proprietary driver has placed in copy protections to not show overlays on S-Video.

Take off your tin-foil hat, there have never been copy protections in the Nvidia proprietary driver for Linux, it was some kind of incompatibility or bug that caused your problem.

Quote:

Stop skimming posts.

That appears to be what you just did, not me...

post #21 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post

Any way, here is what I did to resolve it. (Note that this may only work on some nVidia cards. On my PC at work I have an older card and this does not work.) Launch the NVIDIA Display Settings as root. Set the resolution to something other than the default one in order for the slider to appear. I think I had to log out and log back in as well. After that, the slider was there and I was able to stretch the display to the borders of my TV monitor. The edges of the desktop where still cut off, but that was fixed by setting the resolution back to the default one. Hope this helps.

Scratch that! I think I might have misled you with that post, sort of. (It is all R2's fault.) You see, I think there is more to the solution than I indicated on my post. I discovered that yesterday, when I decided to disconnect the VGA cable from the PC and just leave the DVI/HDMI connection. After I did that, Linux went back to its overscanned state. I tried for hours to get the slider back, but to no avail. Even pluggin it the VGA cable didn't fix it. I then decided to start looking at the xorg.conf file to see if there was something obvious I could tweak. That is when I realized that it did not look at all like it did the last time I saw it. Fortunately, I had a backup of the original one, before I started to do any changes. I restored it and started to back track to see how I had gotten it to work before. And, guess, what, I got it back! So in case this can be of any help to someone, here is my complete xorg.conf:

Code:
# File generated by XFdrake (rev )

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "False" # disable  (server abort)
    #DontZoom # disable / (resolution switching)
    AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Disable "dri"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Plug'n Play"
    ModelName "SAMSUNG"
    HorizSync 30-46
    VertRefresh 59-61
    Option "PreferredMode" "1280x720"

# Monitor supported CEA modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 33.8 kHz hsync, interlaced, ratio 16/9, 304 dpi)
    ModeLine "1920x1080" 74.25 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace

# Monitor supported CEA modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 45.0 kHz hsync, ratio 16/9, 203 dpi)
    ModeLine "1280x720" 74.25 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

# Monitor supported modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 33.8 kHz hsync, interlaced, ratio 16/9, 304 dpi)
    ModeLine "1206x676" 74.25 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace

# Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 45.0 kHz hsync, ratio 16/9, 203 dpi)
    ModeLine "1280x720" 74.25 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616

# modeline generated by gtf(1) [handled by XFdrake]
    ModeLine "1280x720_120"  161.56  1280 1376 1512 1744  720 721 724 772  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x720_100"  131.85  1280 1368 1504 1728  720 721 724 763  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x720_85"  110.01  1280 1360 1496 1712  720 721 724 756  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x720_75"  95.65  1280 1352 1488 1696  720 721 724 752  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x720_60"  74.48  1280 1336 1472 1664  720 721 724 746  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x720_50"  60.47  1280 1328 1456 1632  720 721 724 741  -HSync +Vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 6100 and later"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
    Option "TwinView"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth 8
        Modes "1280x720"
    EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
        Depth 15
        Modes "1280x720"
    EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
        Depth 16
        Modes "1280x720"
    EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1280x720"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout1"
    Screen "screen1"
EndSection
I am not letting the NVIDIA Display Settings tool overwrite this again. So, that means I won't be running it as root any more. However, you do need to allow it to make changes and for the changes to be saved in your home/user directory. You do that from the tool using the "Save Current Configuration" button under the nvidia-settings Configuration section. After I saved this file, I just copied it to all the users on my system and they all were fixed the same way. Here is how my file looks like:

Code:
#
# /root/.nvidia-settings-rc
#
# Configuration file for nvidia-settings - the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility
# Generated on Wed Aug  4 18:20:21 2010
#

# ConfigProperties:

RcFileLocale = C
ToolTips = Yes
DisplayStatusBar = Yes
SliderTextEntries = Yes
IncludeDisplayNameInConfigFile = No
ShowQuitDialog = Yes
Timer = Thermal_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000
Timer = PowerMizer_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000

# Attributes:

0/CursorShadow=0
0/CursorShadowAlpha=64
0/CursorShadowRed=0
0/CursorShadowGreen=0
0/CursorShadowBlue=0
0/CursorShadowXOffset=4
0/CursorShadowYOffset=2
0/SyncToVBlank=0
0/LogAniso=0
0/FSAA=0
0/TextureSharpen=0
0/AllowFlipping=1
0/FSAAAppControlled=1
0/LogAnisoAppControlled=1
0/OpenGLImageSettings=1
0/FSAAAppEnhanced=0
0/RedBrightness=0.000000
0/GreenBrightness=0.000000
0/BlueBrightness=0.000000
0/RedContrast=0.000000
0/GreenContrast=0.000000
0/BlueContrast=0.000000
0/RedGamma=1.000000
0/GreenGamma=1.000000
0/BlueGamma=1.000000
0/DigitalVibrance[CRT-1]=0
0/DigitalVibrance[DFP-0]=0
0/OverscanCompensation[CRT-1]=0
0/OverscanCompensation[DFP-0]=75
0/XVideoTextureBrightness=0
0/XVideoTextureContrast=0
0/XVideoTextureHue=0
0/XVideoTextureSaturation=0
0/XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank=1
0/XVideoSyncToDisplay=2
This what I get now:

post #22 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM

tux99 and newlinux, the point I am trying to make is eventually manufactures may get forced by the studios to enforce the requirement of HDCP for all content and not accept a non-HDCP. I already know about HDCP.

tux99, the S-Video problem still have problems for the latest drivers and video cards, so there is a protection that nVidia has in placed for S-Video for video overlays. I have to use OpenGL which I have no problem with using. Though I use VDPAU whenever I can.

I do not have a tin foil cap. I am just tired of screwing around when there is a lot of protections when I did nothing wrong. People here are moaning and whining about digital TV not working with computers, but people have pirate software, videos, and audio. Wonder why TV does not work as easy as computer monitors. Also people one cheap, cheap which does not work because something have to be sacrifice. In order for TV to work as computer monitors, the TV have to comply to VESA specifications.

The reason why I said go with a TV that does not have HDCP is because you will get into a problem of stupid programming. There are lot of manufactures do things stupid or do not have enough money to code the TV correctly. Daravon wanted a TV that works with a computer, but you said HDCP is not in Linux. This is true, but not for long.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tux99 and newlinux, the point I am trying to make is eventually manufactures may get forced by the studios to enforce the requirement of HDCP for all content and not accept a non-HDCP.

While I would not be surprised if that's was the content mafia's wet dream, I would consider it extremely unlikely that it will ever happen since it would break way too many applications where TV-screens are used for purposes that have nothing to do with restricted content and where the devices connected to the screens rightly do not use HDCP.

Quote:

tux99, the S-Video problem still have problems for the latest drivers and video cards, so there is a protection that nVidia has in placed for S-Video for video overlays. I have to use OpenGL which I have no problem with using. Though I use VDPAU whenever I can.

I guarantee you it's a config problem or bug or technical limitation, there is no 'protection' in the Nvidia Linux drivers. Think about it, why would they put 'protection' on playback via XV overlays but not on OpenGL video playback or on VDPAU?

Quote:

The reason why I said go with a TV that does not have HDCP is because you will get into a problem of stupid programming.

AFAIK there are no digital TVs without HDCP (they wouldn't sell since they wouldn't work with DVD/BD players and most settop boxes), HDCP is mandatory with HDMI (and even any TV of the last 4-5 years with only DVI has HDCP).
But it doesn't matter at all if the TV has HDCP support, since (as I already said) it's up to the player device to decide if to use HDCP or not.

I hope this finally clears it up for you, I don't know how I can explain it more clearly.

post #24 of 25 Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

tux99 and newlinux, the point I am trying to make is eventually manufactures may get forced by the studios to enforce the requirement of HDCP for all content and not accept a non-HDCP. I already know about HDCP.

As I wrote above, if this is your argument, don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

post #25 of 25 Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have a link to a reputable source in support of this assertion?

It sounds ridiculous, because a display so restricted wouldn't play home video DVD's (or non-CSS commercial DVD's, of which there are plenty) or personal video/still cameras with HDMI out.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page