Element HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone got any feedback on Element HTPC? It's based on Ubuntu, which makes me question SPDIF output. I haven't been able to get Ubuntu and VLC to send true 5.1 to our amp. All attempts to get 5.1 were done with Handbrake rips that were set to "pass thru" the audio signal. The amp always drops back to "Dolby ProLogic" instead of "Dolby Digital".

I installed Element to an old PC that does not have an SPDIF output, nor a fast enuf graphics card, to really test it but pretty impressed so far. Will have to try installing to a more recent rig.

I used a wireless mouse for navigation - worked pretty good. I don't have an IR device for a PC so couldn't test that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 PM

1st I've heard of Element. Plus, I've been using optical SPDIF in *buntu for years just fine.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 AM

Liked: 11
Downloaded it, tried it, went back to plain Ubuntu. Didn't see any real advantage, and the disadvantage was that it uses some weird desktop software that's not real popular (not Gnome or KDE, in other words) so some software may not run under it.

Also, they give you this nice big applications bar in the middle of the screen, but you cannot use your remote to go move between applications or select an application (unless you buy a really expensive one that has a built-in mouse. or emulates a wireless keyboard). How stupid is that?!

Not sure why you did not get 5.1, unless you did not properly set the output in Ubuntu's sound control, or unmute the correct channel (don't have the details on that in front of me offhand, but there are plenty of pages that tell you how. I know the information is somewhere on this long page:

Some notes on creating a home theater PC using the Acer Aspire Revo

But there are probably other, better pages out there that specifically deal with that topic (and are not Revo-specific).
post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullwinkleMoose View Post

Downloaded it, tried it, went back to plain Ubuntu. Didn't see any real advantage, and the disadvantage was that it uses some weird desktop software that's not real popular (not Gnome or KDE, in other words) so some software may not run under it.

Xfce uses GTK+ like Gnome, so all Gnome and GTK+ apps should integrate perfectly. KDE apps work fine too, but may not integrate well in terms of theming, though you'll get the same problem on Gnome.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2010, 01:18 AM

Hehe..."Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"

I couldn't find a good one of those, but here's an awesome "Mr. Know-It-All" for ya:

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page