So I Built My First HTPC. Everything went great but... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

So I built my first HTPC. I took RGB's advice and built it around an AMD dual core Regor @ 3 GHZ. The mobo is a Gigabyte with all the usual blah, blah. blah. I don't want to bore you with the gory details. I originally wanted an mini ITX case but I went with micro ATX one instead. BTW I love this case. Everything fits perfectly and its very quiet and elegant.

newegg.com Item=N82E16811121100

(I still can't post URLs)

This was a fun build!

I configured it with an Asus G210 card with 1 GB of memory. I am using Ubuntu 10.04. I am having an issue with video playback. No matter what type of file I play or what resolution, I get I get what can be best described as wavy distortion happening horizontally across the screen of my Samsung 46 inch TV. It happens in VLC, SMplayer as well as Movie Player. It is especially prevalent when there is a lot of action or when the camera quickly pans across the scene. I found the video setting within XBMC which controls processing. I changed it from Auto to VDPAU. This resolved the issue within XBMC. However I am still having the same issue with all the other players. Is there a place within Ubuntu where I can specify to use the OS to use VDPAU globally or do I have to set each individual player. I checked VLC and SMplayer and could not find any such setting. I have tried using interlacing. it helped a bit but the distortion is still there.

BTW my Adesso WKB-3000 mini wireless keyboard died on me. The receiver appears to be dead. The LED no longer flashes when its seeking. Woe is me. I called tech support and left a message. Let's see if anyone gets back to me. It was less than a month old. I bought an I/O Gear wireless keyboard/trackball this afternoon. I like the layout of the Adesso much more. However, the I/O Gear doesn't seem to suffer from the freezing and stopping of the Adesso.

Can someone recommend a good remote that works with XBMC? I don't need anything fancy. The basic DVD type of controls will do.

Thank you all for your help. I am happy with my decision to use Linux instead of Win7. It's been a fun and learning experience so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like what you're experiencing is called "tearing." Try turning off compiz. Go to System > Settings > Appearance and then go to the Visual Effects tab (or similar) and choose "none." Compiz effects are not recommended for HTPC use.

Disabling Compiz on my Mandriva 2010.0 HTPC fixed the tearing issue and sped up XBMC graphically as well as flash videos.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Shane! Thanks for your quick response. Video tearing is exactly what I am experiencing. I didn't know what it was called. I googled video tearing under ubuntu and came up with this. I think between your suggestion and these hints I should be ok. It's getting late in the evening here but I will try it tomorrow.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/h...lc-nvidia.html
post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

You're welcome! Let us know how it works out.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

That worked out perfectly! Thank you so much Shane. I am a happy camper! Now it's time to start saving for a nice HDMI reciever!

I just noticed that this fix also improved my 3d performance. I use Xscreensaver's Carousel to display pictures of guitars. No more jagged edges. Loving Ubuntu and my new HTPC! Thanks everybody!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Late to the party, but, yes, you will have to tell each media player to use VDPAU like you did with XBMC.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irod728 View Post

That worked out perfectly! Thank you so much Shane. I am a happy camper! Now it's time to start saving for a nice HDMI reciever!

I just noticed that this fix also improved my 3d performance. I use Xscreensaver's Carousel to display pictures of guitars. No more jagged edges. Loving Ubuntu and my new HTPC! Thanks everybody!

Glad you got 'er runnin!
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page