starting down Myth road questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Noo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, i'm starting to re-vist setting up an HTPC. I'm not tied to MythTV (yet).

What I want.
A simple HD OTA DVR, two tuners, dolby digital 5.1. Eventually two rooms. AND must pass the wife and kids tests. I want stability and quality. output in 1080 on a 55".

I'm thinking of a mythTV separate fronts and backend.

I'm getting (so far)
Zotac MAG HD-ND01 for a front end
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Network-based Dual Digital HDTV Tuner Ethernet Interface for the decoder

My thought is that the HDHomerun will be the most versatile for my needs and the Zotac will be pretty decent for a frontend.

I guess I'm not sure of what questions I need to ask. The hardware isnt here yet but i'll try.

1) what would make a decent backend? I have a Intel® Desktop Board D845GEBV2 with an Intel P4 2.66 processor. I can upgrade it to 2G memory (it has 512mb currently). it only has a 100mb lan and IDE. I could add eSATA and fast drives perhaps. Would it be worth going down this road or should I consider starting with something better for my backend? if I stayed with this I would be adding gbit ethernet, sata controller, RAM and storage ($20+$50+$73+$150=~$300 to upgrade)

2) will the HDHomerun with the Zotac give me any capabilities without a Myth backend? In other words, could I do the front/back on the zotac for a while?

3) Should I be looking at something else beyond MythTV? I would buy a moxi if it supported OTA HD. I dont want the fees of a Tivo. the DishDTVPAL seems limited.

If i'm missing something please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

There's no need for a separate front/backend. For ~$300, you can build a capable decent looking IMO single system. Then if you want to add another frontend later, no problem. Here's what I'd use, based on what I have now, which is a master back/frontend, and 2 additional frontends.

Cooler-Master-Elite-360-Desktop-Case $35
http://3btech.net/ch550wadufan.html or any 120mm fan model $20
ECS GF8200A ATX MB $80
Athlon II X2 240 ~$50
At least 2GB ram $40?
1TB HDD $80
Dvico Fusion HDTV7 Dual express PCIe dual tuner $90? (That's what I paid for my 3)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Noo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewell View Post

There's no need for a separate front/backend.

wnewell, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ugh, well, um. i already ordered the ZOTAC MAG HD-ND01 for a front end and an HDHomerun dual tuner.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856173001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815327005

I hope i didn't waste any money.

Sooo, think I can just do some upgrades on the P4 2.66ghz I have or should I now buy/build a backend?
post #4 of 8 Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think you can get the P4 working fine running the backend. I mean most of us have run the backend previously on similar hardware. At one point my backend was an 1.8 Athlon with 4 diskless clients.

You will see some struggles with CPU intensive stuff. Things like commercial flagging and if you transcode video will just take longer.

Of course faster hardware would be nice. I think the memory upgrade is important, it's good to reduce the need for swapping. The gigabit network is nice but 100mb is not horrible and would work fine.

Good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Noo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post

You will see some struggles with CPU intensive stuff. Things like commercial flagging and if you transcode video will just take longer.

Thanks djb.

Transcoding of video would be converting from one format, bit rate, resolution, etc. to another, as I understand it. I dont think I plan to do that. I just want to take the stream, save it, time shift it, etc. yeah, maybe have the commercial flagging thing happen too.

I guess I'll look into upping the RAM on the P4. Disks may be another issue. I may need to add a SATA controller versus messing with IDE. USB probably wont cut it.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Agree on not using USB disks for recordings. However if you have old IDE disks that you can use they would be fine if you wanted to save a few dollars. I would guess chances are if you had them they would be on the small side. It's nice to have lots of space for video. I have at least one whole season of "Human Target" I've yet to watch.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Are recordings location independent? Can you record to drive 1, move it to drive 2 and have it appear in your recordings as if it were unmoved (program info, in the same view as unmoved)?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

Are recordings location independent? Can you record to drive 1, move it to drive 2 and have it appear in your recordings as if it were unmoved (program info, in the same view as unmoved)?

With storage groups you can do this. Myth looks for files in all storage groups and allows you to move them while retaining metadata. Don't change the filename, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page