Need to replace my Dell Optiplex 755 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current HTPC is a Dell Optiplex 755 running Mythbuntu 9.10. I have to give back the PC (it was borrowed), but I can keep the video card and sound card, both of which work great with MythTV. I want to get a replacement PC without spending a bunch of time shopping for parts and building one up from scratch, and without spending more than $400 or so.

So I'm just looking for suggestions for a simple pre-built system that'll make for a quick, compatiple MythTV setup (I'll probably do a clean install of 10.04). I checked a few sites and frankly didn't see anything much cheaper/easier than the Dell Inspiron 570 for $379 new, but would love to hear of better choices (esp. one that doesn't come with Windows - I hate paying for it if I'm not going to use it).

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do a search in the Dell outlet store under Business and Education and look for servers with no operating systems. I see some T110's there for $379. I've had good luck over the years buying refurbs. Usually if there was some hardware problem it's been fixed. Sometimes it's just "scratch-and-dent" issues.

You'll probably see that these machines aren't loaded with memory or big hard drives. That's because the hardware itself is of higher quality than Inspirons or Vostros. These are machines that are designed to run 24x7 for years without any downtime. I've got half a dozen Dell servers in use at various locations and have never been unhappy with their durability or performance.

Another option are barebones systems from NewEgg. The ION systems like this one have built in nVIDIA graphics, so that video card won't matter, and nVIDIA plays nicely with Linux.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page