Non GPU assisted 1080 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Community,

I would like to build a HTPC for playing back HD 1080 flash video via a browser. I understand that adobe flash 10.x for Linux does not make use of hardware acceleration via the GPU, which is why I would like to build a HTPC which is able to playback 1080 HD flash files from a web browser smoothly relying on the CPU and not relying on the GPU.

So far, I have read on 2 sites (cant remember which) that the E6700 is not good enough.

So my question here is, without relying on the GPU, how can I get smooth 1080 HD flash videos directly from the web browser? I have a 50Mb broadband line, which I think is enough to stream 1080 flash files.

Thanks

p.s. It should also be able to play back 1080p smoothly from bluray, avi, practically any source of 1080p smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We had this debate here before (do a search), as far as my experience goes a 3GHz C2D is enough providing you use a Intel GPU, with Nvidia cards it appears that some tearing is unavoidable regardless of the cpu power (so this seems to be a Nvidia driver problem with Flash rather than lack of cpu power).

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

We had this debate here before (do a search), as far as my experience goes a 3GHz C2D is enough providing you use a Intel GPU, with Nvidia cards it appears that some tearing is unavoidable regardless of the cpu power (so this seems to be a Nvidia driver problem with Flash rather than lack of cpu power).

I'm not having much luck with the search feature.

I'm unsure why an Nvidia card is needed with a 3GHz C2D CPU when adobe's flash player for Linux does not support hardware acceleration?
post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

ffmpeg can push my E6600@3.1ghz to 100% cpu usage on that scene with all the white birds in the first episode of planet earth. CoreAVC handles it fine though.

that's the only scene I've ever had a problem with though.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshirowanen View Post

I'm not having much luck with the search feature.

I'm unsure why an Nvidia card is needed with a 3GHz C2D CPU when adobe's flash player for Linux does not support hardware acceleration?

Tux99 didn't recommend an Nvidia card for you- he recommended an INtel GPU, which means you'll need to find a mobo with appropriate Intel GPU on board.

Tux99- what Intel GPU(s) have you tested for Flash video performance/tearing issues? What recent vintage Intel GPU's would you specifically recommend ?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Tux99 didn't recommend an Nvidia card for you- he recommended an INtel GPU, which means you'll need to find a mobo with appropriate Intel GPU on board.

Tux99- what Intel GPU(s) have you tested for Flash video performance/tearing issues? What recent vintage Intel GPU's would you specifically recommend ?

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

ffmpeg can push my E6600@3.1ghz to 100% cpu usage on that scene with all the white birds in the first episode of planet earth. CoreAVC handles it fine though.

that's the only scene I've ever had a problem with though.

That's an extremely high birate file (I believe around 50Mbit/s), flash videos (even HD) are far lower bitrate than that (probably no more than 5Mbit/s).

Quote:

That's right, my experience so far tells me Intel GPUs are better for flash video playback on Linux.
I haven't tried the latest 256.x Nvidia driver yet, though.

Quote:

I have done my testing with Shuttle K45 PC that comes with a i945GC chipset (rather old I know). I use a E5300 cpu overclocked to 3GHz.
But since the Intel Linux GPU drivers are the same for all GPUs, I'd hope the same applies for newer Intel GPUs too.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

That's right, my experience so far tells me Intel GPUs are better for flash video playback on Linux.
I haven't tried the latest 256.x Nvidia driver yet, though.

I have done my testing with Shuttle K45 PC that comes with a i945GC chipset (rather old I know). I use a E5300 cpu overclocked to 3GHz.
But since the Intel Linux GPU drivers are the same for all GPUs, I'd hope the same applies for newer Intel GPUs too.

So the following "should" allow smooth 1080p playback from all sources i.e. bluray, avi, flash directly played from web browser?

Motherboard:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181273

CPU:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/193593
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshirowanen View Post

So the following "should" allow smooth 1080p playback from all sources i.e. bluray, avi, flash directly played from web browser?

Motherboard:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181273

CPU:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/193593

I would expect so since both the cpu and the GPU are faster and more modern than the ones I tested, but obviously I haven't tested the GMA4500 or even less that particular mobo, so I cannot give you a firm assurance.

Remember to disable any fancy 3D desktop effects in Linux for best flash video performance.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page