Is there a new encoding that I didn't hear about? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm trying to RIP two new movies I bought. Both a fairly new and both have something in common: I can't rip or play either.

If I try to rip the disc using DVD Fab 7 which has been faithful to me up till this point, The same thing occurrs, under the Main Movie section, only one chapter shows up and it's only 0:01 long. I always use Main Movie.

If I try to play the movie, I get either a blank white screen or a blank purple screen in XBMC and just a black screen in Dragon Player.

I tried one of my other movies that I already ripped to make sure it wasn't my drive and it pulls up fine and plays fine.

What's going on? Anyone else seeing this?

Oh, Mandriva 2010.0 is the OS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't seen anything like that yet. Never had a DVD that DVDFab couldn't back up.

Which DVDs are you talking about (title)?

Maybe do a search for the DVD title and 'rip' or something like that, if it's a new copy protection somebody will have discussed it somewhere already.

Do they play fine in a standalone DVD player?

Have you tried playing the DVD with xine?

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The movies are Shutter Island and She's Out Of My League.

A quick Google search just turns up a bunch of torrent downloads. I'll search more in a bit.

Haven't tried with Xine and my stand alone DVD player gave up the ghost.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seems there IS new encryption protection. Yuck!

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=5993

Looks like the new version it is then.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post

Seems there IS new encryption protection. Yuck!

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=5993

Looks like the new version it is then.

I can't believe the content mafia still hasn't given up on this.

Do they not realize that not only it's a lost cause (any protection will be cracked in a matter of days anyway), but it also first and foremost pisses off legitimate customers like yourself who just want to back up their legally bought DVDs!

No wonder people turn to downloading...

I just read this interesting article about 'Hollywood accounting', it shows what a bunch of thiefs those studios are:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...10310122.shtml

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a question: in Mandriva, how do I cleanly remove/uninstall Windows programs like DVD Fab from wine? In Ubuntu/Mint, there's a wine utility for this, but can't find it in Mandriva.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a question: in Mandriva, how do I cleanly remove/uninstall Windows programs like DVD Fab from wine? In Ubuntu/Mint, there's a wine utility for this, but can't find it in Mandriva.

What's the utility called?

In any case I assume you know that the best way to remove DVDfab completely (including the trial period counter ) is to delete the .wine/ directory in your home directory (of course this is assuming you don't have other Windows apps installed besides DVDFab, as they will be deleted too).

Edit: I see that I have an entry called 'Software Manager' under 'Wine', that appears to be the one you are looking for, or is it?

post #8 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, in Ubuntu/Mint, there's an entry in the wine submenu called "Remove Wine Software." Haven't used it yet though.

Also, I did not know that removing the .wine directory would be the cleanest option. How does that directory get recreated? On startup? Log out and back in?
post #9 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, I can confirm that DVDFab 7.0.7.0 works under wine and also beats the new encryption Hollywood is using.

Time to update, everyone (that wants to RIP new DVDs).

Now, this only solves the ripping problem. What needs to be updated to solve the playing problem? I can't even play these discs with the PC! Have to rip 'em first.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, in Ubuntu/Mint, there's an entry in the wine submenu called "Remove Wine Software." Haven't used it yet though.

That sounds like the 'Software Manager' menu entry I have here on my Mandriva desktop under 'Wine' that I mentioned earlier.

Quote:

Also, I did not know that removing the .wine directory would be the cleanest option. How does that directory get recreated? On startup? Log out and back in?

It gets recreated when you run wine again.

Quote:

Now, this only solves the ripping problem. What needs to be updated to solve the playing problem? I can't even play these discs with the PC! Have to rip 'em first.

I'd bring the DVD back to the store where I bought it, asking for a refund since it doesn't work as it's obviously broken by design. Hit them where it hurts most, in their pockets.
The only protest they will listen to is the one that affects their profits.

(of course no one would blame you if you forgot to delete the copy on your hdd )

post #11 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

That sounds like the 'Software Manager' menu entry I have here on my Mandriva desktop under 'Wine' that I mentioned earlier.

I have no such entry.

Quote:

It gets recreated when you run wine again.

Got it. I jumped the gun with that question.

Quote:

I'd bring the DVD back to the store where I bought it, asking for a refund since it doesn't work as it's obviously broken by design. Hit them where it hurts most, in their pockets.
The only protest they will listen to is the one that affects their profits.

Good angle. Might consider this since it is pretty outrageous. I wonder if these DVDs even play on a normal DVD player! I'd try mine since it's fairly old but it won't even power on.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no such entry.

Maybe that's because I'm using the Mandriva package from www.winehq.org (as they are more recent than the Mandriva repo packages):

http://www.winehq.org/download/

If you install that, remember to unistall the Mandriva wine packages first, I'm not sure it would upgrade cleanly to the winehq package, otherwise.

Quote:

Good angle. Might consider this since it is pretty outrageous. I wonder if these DVDs even play on a normal DVD player! I'd try mine since it's fairly old but it won't even power on.

When Sony had the great idea of producing CDs with some irritating copy protection that prevented the CDs from playing in many car CD players, in Germany loads of people returned those CDs to the stores for a refund forcing Sony to give up on that particular copy protection method.

Consumer boycotts are the only form of protest that corporations take notice of.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Liked: 12
We're having a similar discussion on the mythtv-users mailing list:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/442817

It basically comes down to the disk being written in a way that does not conform to DVD standards. In reality, the disk you are being sold is NOT a DVD video disk. It is off just enough software players (and many old DVD players) crash when trying to read the chapter jumps.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

This appears to be exactly the same as with those non-CDs that primarily Sony was selling in Europe around 2003-2005. Those CDs had a copy protection that made them non-conforming to the CD standard and therefore didn't play in many car CD players and older home CD players.

Here is a discussion about them from that time:
http://forums.thedigitalfix.co.uk/fo.../t-222566.html

Loads of people returned those CDs to the store, so Sony eventually stopped making them and if I recall correctly even replaced them with normal CDs upon request.
Obviously this caused a considerable loss for everyone involved (Sony, retailers, etc.) so AFAIK that was the end of copy protection on CDs.

I looks like now the media-mafia wants to repeat the same ordeal with DVDs.

Well, all I can say, bring them back to the stores for a refund, that's the only way they will react to it!

post #15 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I just read this interesting article about 'Hollywood accounting', it shows what a bunch of thiefs those studios are:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...10310122.shtml

Excellent discussion on the Hollywood studios accounting scams. So much for paying the performers/artists-

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/ar.../07/09/1621218

Quote:

"It's okay for us to be dishonest..... (Score:5, Insightful)

by commodore64_love (1445365) writes: on Friday July 09, @12:50PM (#32852030) Journal

".....and not pay our actors, writers, staff their share of the profit-sharing contract, but if you are dishonest and download a DVD, then you'll get the equivalent of a life sentence in fines! Seems perfectly fair to us."

- Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) aka megacorp tyrants

The discussion has plenty of examples of writers, directors and actors scammed by the studios- Peter Jackson, Winston Groom (Forrest Gump), Buchwald, David Prowse (Eps 4-6 Darth Vader), etc.

I leave it to the reader to assess the morality/ethics of how much money the RIAA/MPAA scammers deserve for their products.

post #16 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
RIAA Accounting — How Labels Avoid Paying Musicians

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../07/13/1737224

Quote:

"Last week, we discussed Techdirt's tale of 'Hollywood Accounting,' which showed how movies like Harry Potter still officially 'lose' money with some simple accounting tricks. This week Techdirt is taking on RIAA accounting and demonstrating why most musicians — even multi-platinum recording stars — may never see a dime from their album sales. 'They make you a "loan" and then take the first 63% of any dollar you make, get to automatically increase the size of the "loan" by simply adding in all sorts of crazy expenses (did the exec bring in pizza at the recording session? that gets added on), and then tries to get the loan repaid out of what meager pittance they've left for you. Oh, and after all of that, the record label still owns the copyrights.' The average musician on a major record deal 'gets' about $23 per $1,000 made... and that $23 still never gets paid because it has to go to 'recouping' the loan... even though the label is taking $630 out of that $1,000, and not counting it towards the advance. Remember all this the next time a record label says they're trying to protect musicians' revenue."

Quote:

by MightyMartian (840721) writes: on Tuesday July 13, @02:19PM (#32890778) Journal
That may apply in some cases, but one case I have been following (mainly because I'm a huge fan) is Robert Fripp's multiyear odyssey to get UMG to give him a proper accounting of King Crimson's royalties. He has fairly good evidence that the band has not been properly paid out, but because of the complexity involved due to the mergers and buy-outs and such of publishing companies and the like, whether through maliciousness or incompetence, he and his band have been screwed. What's more, there is some pretty good evidence as far as online sales go that King Crimson has not seen royalties at all, and worse, in many cases, the artists were never even asked, despite a good deal of control over the release of recordings that the Crimson still holds. Fripp tried for some time to get to talk to someone, anyone, in a position of authority who could produce an accounting of earnings and royalties, and finally had to sue UMG, and only now is he finally getting some movement.

The general methodology of UMG, at least, is to delay, obfuscate and obstruct, claiming at times that it can't answer questions from subordinate companies, or forcing artists to deal with individuals who ultimately have no authority to answer or compel someone else to answer the artist's requests. While I suppose it could be colossal incompetence, I posit that the system is purposefully set up to steal money owed to artists.

The same thing has happened over at EMI, where the Beatles have been forced to sue over withheld royalties. I'm assuming every record company and major label probably uses the same tactics to screw over artists.

Quote:

by jemenake (595948) writes: on Tuesday July 13, @02:19PM (#32890792)
I read "Confessions of a Record Producer" where the dude gives you the step-by-step breakdown of where all of the money goes. One of the interesting ones is that the record companies now take out more for every CD pressed than they did for pressing LP's or cassettes, even though it's actually cheaper to make CD's.

He said that, every time he'd be at a cocktail party and someone would find out he's a record producer, they'd always ask "So, if I made an album that went gold, how much money would I get?". He proceeds to go through the cost accounting (which he describes earlier in the book) to arrive at some number like a 4-piece band making a gold record results in each member getting something like $23,000 or something. Don't quit your day job, fellas!

Also, back when Napster was really rolling, and the RIAA was freaking out, I recall reading an article by Janice Ian (a 70's 3-hit wonder) saying that she never got a statement from her record company that didn't say that she owed them money.

If you watch the RIAA's behavior carefully, you'll see that they're not really about attacking "piracy". They're trying to prevent any kind of delivery mechanism which takes them out of the loop... that connects the artist directly with the listener. "Disintermediation" is the big word for it. I recall several years back, there was a website (I forget it's name) where unsigned bands could post their songs as mp3's and they'd tag them with what known bands they thought they sounded like. So, you could go on there and search for "Dead Milkmen" and you could find all of these undiscovered bands who were influenced by them.
... and, of course, the RIAA figured out how to sue them into oblivion, even though they weren't really infringing on copyrighted material.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page