Server Rebuild - Semi HTPC - Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick version:

Looking for a motherboard with HDMI output (with sound over HDMI) that supports Linux VDPAU for full-speed 1080p playback. Before you all shout "Ion!," this isn't for a quiet, set-top box, but for a whole-house server in a full-sized, tower case with a current count of 2 ATA and 4 SATA mdadm-RAID (not hardware RAID) hard drives.

-------

Long version:

My mighty "Traseron" is aging, and I'm gutting my entire home entertainment system, doing structured wiring, whole house high-def, and starting from a clean slate.

"Traseron" is currently my central hub. It's my MythTV backend, file server, torrent downloader, remote access hub to the house (I'm on the road a lot), rsync backups, and serves three original Xboxes throughout the house for all television, movie, photo, and music needs. It lives in a closet with an old CRT monitor for those few times that a remote X session remote shell won't do.

I'm ditching MythTV (used only for television), but still need its massive two terabyte storage space (or more, since I'm stepping up to HD). I'm moving it to the future equipment hub, which is in line of sight with an HDTV. As such, I first considered just throwing in any HDMI video card so that I could do local management via the line-of-sight TV when necessary. Then it occurred to me, I could actually include it as a player in the whole house setup, with a modern motherboard and graphics set. This would complement the Mac Mini that I'm adding for the express purpose of playing videos served from Traseron. (Heck, if there were a Linux solution to iPhoto playback, I'd not even bother adding the Mac Mini as a middle-man.)

The little Zotac Mag that I've been playing with as a substitute for my original XBMC-Xboxes in the current system has blown me away, especially with its full-speed playback of 1080p h.264 files. But it's not a file server, and a quick search of Newegg motherboards that have HDMI has made me realize that I've not kept up with things since I built my current server. Do all of this little "Micro ATX" and "Mini ITX" fit in a standard, full-sized case (including the exposed ports in back)?

Hope my thoughts are clear. Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by balthisar View Post

Do all of this little "Micro ATX" and "Mini ITX" fit in a standard, full-sized case (including the exposed ports in back)?

Most (if not all) Full-ATX cases have also mounting holes for micro-ATX and mini-ITX boards. The rectangular hole for the ports at the back is the same for all mobos.

If you are after a full-ATX server board, I'd recommend the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3, I have one and it's great, absolutely reliable, everything works fine with Linux and it supports ECC RAM which I consider important for a server.
Then just add a low power AMD cpu (for example a Athlon II X2 240e) and a Nvidia Geforce 210 graphics card and you are done.

Else, if you prefer Atoms for the even lower power consumption (since presumably the box is on 24/7), you could get a Pineview Atom mobo with a PCIe slot and again add a Nvidia Geforce 210 graphics card.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
To bring closure to this, thanks!

I ended up with a Gigabyte MB and a Geforce 240 video card, and decided to pursue the non-Linux route with it. Instead of adding a Mac Mini as a front-end for the server, I just installed Mac OS on it directly. With FUSE, all my Linux volumes are still available, and I get HDMI out to and through the matrix switch just fine. Now I'm kind of embarrassed that it's a much more powerful machine than my array of real Macs.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page