tried Ubuntu 10.04 -- now what - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried Ubuntu 10.04, but it's too blo -- ah, feature packed for me.
I prefer a smaller Linux that
1) will manage modest HTPC hardware - dh57dd, core-i3, 2GB, 1TB, dvd, tuner
2) has a minimalist, configurable GUI
3) will run MYTHTV, front and back
4) will run Firefox with Java and Flash.
That's it.

Suggestions?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mythbuntu loads minimal stuff, as does Knoppmyth, Mythdora, and possibly other MythTV specific distros.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewillis View Post

1) will manage modest HTPC hardware - dh57dd, core-i3, 2GB, 1TB, dvd, tuner

I wouldn't call a Core i3 modest hardware, that's way more powerful than what most of use here (Intel Atoms, Core2Duos, Athlon x2).

A Core i3 can run even the most 'bloated' Linux install (if such a thing even exists) with ease, if that's not the case for you then something else must be wrong with your hardware or your installation (maybe the graphic card drivers?).

You could try LXDE as desktop environment if Gnome is too bloated for you.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #4 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Agreed- your hardware is far from "modest". 10.04 should boot and run fast and smoothly for you. unless you have some specific hardware issue.

What GPU are you using?

It sounds like you just don't like Gnome- try Lubuntu (LXDE) and/or Kubuntu (KDE)- while KDE is technically more hardware intensive than Gnome, you may prefer it, and it should run smoothly on your hardware, depending on your GPU.

You should be able to install LXDE on top of stock Ubuntu 10.04 to replace Gnome.

As for other distros, you could also try PCLinuxOS, which has up to date, current releases with Gnome, KDE, Xfce, E17, and LXDE-

http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=188

But I think you'll find that Ubuntu 10.04 has the simplest MythTV install.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

As for modest hardware or not, I was just comparing to the following. I'm just building it now.
Mid-Range System
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Intel-Intel (iGPU)

System

* CPU: Core i3 530 2.93GHz LGA1156, $113.
* CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 風神鍛 (Geminii S) RR-CCH-PBU1-GP, $35.
* Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $92. An alternative is ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $110. If you want USB 3.0, go with GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 LGA1156 Intel H57 chipset microATX, $120, or ASUS P7H55D-M EVO LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $125.
* Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit, $105.
* Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics (integrated in the chipset), $0.
* HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $65.
* PSU: Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX 450W, $65. An alternative is Enermax ECO80+ 400W EES400AWT, $61.
* Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote, $140.
* Total Cost: $615

With regard to Linux distribution, I'm looking for a place to start. I tried Ubuntu on a spare computer, and it's more than I want.
There is no problem with it running (afaik).
post #6 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewillis View Post

With regard to Linux distribution, I'm looking for a place to start. I tried Ubuntu on a spare computer, and it's more than I want.
There is no problem with it running (afaik).

I don't know what you mean by "more than you want" re: Ubuntu 10.04.

The LiveCD has been stripped of most extraneous software now- not even Gimp!? IN any event, it is trivial to add/remove apps from Ubuntu using the Software Center and/or Synaptic.

Gnome is highly configurable- you can add/remove panels (top and bottom screen menu bars), change themes, add applets/widgets to panels and the desktop, etc- basically customize the desktop GUI to your hearts content, FAR more than you ever could with XP.

Ubuntu 10.04 boots and shuts down faster than probably any other top 10 major distro (ranked by Distrowatch) at the moment.

Any recent vintage Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE based distro will have a similar look/feel/resource footprint (memory/CPU usage and general feel), comparing apples-apples (Gnome distro to Gnome distro, KDE-KDE, etc).

You could experiment with different desktop environments/window managers if UI/features/resource usage/performance of the GUI are an issue to you. I already mentioned XFce, LXDE, and Enlightenment (E17), with OpenBox being one of the lowest resource desktops around that is widely used. Of course there are plenty more low resource window manager/DE's that have smaller user bases.

The main differentiators among the major distros- Ubuntu, Fedora, PClinuxOS, Mandriva, Arch- are their packaging systems (deb vs rpm), update model (timed releases vs rolling) and how well they integrate and debug all included software (GUI/DE, apps) and drivers, and how responsive the distro is re: fixing post release bugs.

The only way around this would be to use a distro that is designed for ultra low resource use like PuppyLinux, Crunchbang, Slitaz or similar that run largely from RAM.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slitaz

A few months ago I would have said that using these for a media PC would be unwise, but the current release of an Ubuntu 10.04-derived Puupy variant, Lucid Puppy 5.x, may prove a viable media PC low resource distro.

http://puppylinux.org/news/petstests...u-lucid-lynx-/

Bottom line- I think it is unwise to stray from the main full featured distros like Ubuntu, Mandriva, PCLinucOS or Fedora. There is really no reason to given the CPU, GPU and RAM resources we have now.

A "modest" machine to me would be a 1.6Ghz single core CPU, fer crissakes! "Low end" would be a P3 1Ghz, which can run the current Ubuntu fine- it's Flash that's the limiting factor for low end CPU cutoff.

Again, a 1Ghz P3 with 1G RAm runs Ubuntu 10.04 great, but Flash won't play smoothly on it. So you need a min 1.6Ghz CPU, preferable dual core, just to run Flash (and Java to a lesser extent) well!
post #7 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I would say try one of the myth specific distros and see if you like it. As RGB said, you may want to try Puppy after that. I am not sure where the bloat is as Ubuntu reminds me a lot of XP with just a handful of installed programs.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #8 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Your definition of bloat would definitely help us come up with a solution to the problem.. 10.04 boots to the login screen in about 15 seconds on my Phenom 9850 (AM2 quad core). I've not had any inclination to try and speed it up in the least nor have I had even so much as a thought that the OS is slowing me down.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM

While I haven't installed it yet (because I'm doing some seriously off-the-charts kind of stuff with it, and I'm waiting for the software to stabilize), I have the Gigabyte mobo that tux99 suggested, and it is a beautiful piece of work. I'm already in love with it even though I haven't installed it yet. I already know that it's going to give me years of solid performance. Reviews will back that up.

Go for that mobo and get a video card that suits your needs.

Just my humble opinion.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 AM

post #11 of 14 Old 07-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteless View Post

Light weight linux
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/what...t-linux-distro

Cool site, good article.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Agreed- your hardware is far from "modest". 10.04 should boot and run fast and smoothly for you. unless you have some specific hardware issue.

What GPU are you using?

It sounds like you just don't like Gnome- try Lubuntu (LXDE) and/or Kubuntu (KDE)- while KDE is technically more hardware intensive than Gnome, you may prefer it, and it should run smoothly on your hardware, depending on your GPU.

You should be able to install LXDE on top of stock Ubuntu 10.04 to replace Gnome.

As for other distros, you could also try PCLinuxOS, which has up to date, current releases with Gnome, KDE, Xfce, E17, and LXDE-

http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=188

But I think you'll find that Ubuntu 10.04 has the simplest MythTV install.

10.04 can run fine on hardware 5-10 years old, the i3 is much stronger than a P4 machine.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Been 2 or 3 years since I've used it but Slackware was as customizable as it got, and made you work to get to the point of bloat! Ah, the old days running Windowmaker! If you're not afriad to get your hands a little dirty that's the route I'd recommend.

I do agree that Ubuntu can be slow on some systems. I run 10.4 on an HP desktop box at work -- it's old, but not ancient. Maybe 6-7 years. It's not a blazing system by any means. P3 I think with a Gb and a half of RAM. It runs Ubuntu about as well as it ran XP. It will do compositing but it's a little clunky. I think the bottleneck is the onboard Intel graphics. Chuck a $60 Nvidia card in there and it would probably make all the difference.

Another option is OpenSuse. New one just released. The default install is heavy but you have the option of picking and choosing the packages individually. That's what I'm currently using for the file/web/gateway server here at home. Jury is still out. It's a nice kit but I kind of miss the raw Slack.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'm plotting my first HTPC build, doing an obscene amount of lurking, and my brains are seaping out my ears a little.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post

my brains are seaping out my ears a little.

Sounds familiar. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page