Can I watch YouTube with NVIDIA ION based computer and Linux? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I want to buy a computer in my living room for watching youtube and surfing the web. Zotac MAG HD-ND01 (NVIDIA ION and Atom 330) and Linux would be very affordable but... can I watch youtube in full screen and 720p with it, today or in the future?

I have been googling around and found out that this far there hasn't been hardware acceleration in flash for Linux. If I understand correctly, this makes it impossible to watch youtube with a weak processor like the atom.

But has the newest Flash 10.2 beta changed this? Has anyone here actually tried the newest flash with NVIDIA ION based system and Linux? So, if I absolutely need to watch youtube with a small and cheap nettop computer, is Linux an option or should I just go for Windows? I have used Ubuntu on my laptop and would love to try it also in a HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, with the latest Flash beta you can, see this thead:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294618

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #3 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

That's excellent news, thank you! Now nothing can stop me from buying a linux nettop. And now I also now where to ask help with the NVIDIA ION system ;-)
post #4 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FWIW, I have that Zotac mag and I can watch Youtube 360p (and I think 480p - don't go to youtube often) full screen without the acceleration.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

FWIW, I have that Zotac mag and I can watch Youtube 360p (and I think 480p - don't go to youtube often) full screen without the acceleration.

True, but with the 10.2 Flash beta you can even watch 1080p YOutube videos full screen on VDPAU compatible Nvidia GPUs.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #6 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

True, but with the 10.2 Flash beta you can even watch 1080p YOutube videos full screen on VDPAU compatible Nvidia GPUs.

I know, but the OP mentioned that it would be impossible to watch youtube on this processor without acceleration and I just wanted to point out that I have done it without the acceleration (obviously not at 1080p). That's why it was FWIW.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for information, newlinux. I installed Ubuntu on my old laptop with AMD Turion CPU and youtube was quite impossible to watch. I was surprised to find out that it requires so much CPU speed. Because I think Atom 330 is not much more powerful than Turion, I guessed that it wouldn't be enough without the hardware acceleration. Anyway, the NVIDIA ION system seems to be good for my use when I finally decide to buy a HTPC:
post #8 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppendecker View Post

Thanks for information, newlinux. I installed Ubuntu on my old laptop with AMD Turion CPU and youtube was quite impossible to watch. I was surprised to find out that it requires so much CPU speed. Because I think Atom 330 is not much more powerful than Turion, I guessed that it wouldn't be enough without the hardware acceleration. Anyway, the NVIDIA ION system seems to be good for my use when I finally decide to buy a HTPC:

I have an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 1.8Ghz and I can watch SD youtube on it just fine (has a nvidia 7000m gpu). In any event, as tux99 mentioned, you are covered with the new beta drivers on the Mag.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SD youtube

ouch.. eye damage (SD) + brain damage (Youtube)
post #10 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

ouch.. eye damage (SD) + brain damage (Youtube)

Hey, I don't watch much of it. Mostly when one of my kids tells me he wants to watch some animal videos - youtube easiest place to find whatever kind of animal he is looking for.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I don't watch much of it. Mostly when one of my kids tells me he wants to watch some animal videos - youtube easiest place to find whatever kind of animal he is looking for.

LOL.. that's true... HD only matters when you are old and snobby like most of us here when you are young, you are able to "see" lions, dragons, and elephants even if on a monochrome screen sporting 2 pixels x 2 pixels.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page