Blu-Ray & DVD WRITERS/BURNERS?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello out there, hope I chose the correct forum to ask this: Can anyone tell me about Blu-ray burners?? Specifically, I'm shopping around for an external (pc-compatible) blu-ray burner that can also burn HD video quality to dvd. My purpose is to burn H.264 video files stored on my hard drives onto dvd+ or - R (DL) at HD quality. So far I know of one Sony device that has this feature: the VBD-MA1. Anybody know how good it is? Can you recommend any comparable units? Pardon me if this is the improper forum; if so, please redirect me to where appropriate.

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford112 View Post

Specifically, I'm shopping around for an external (pc-compatible) blu-ray burner that can also burn HD video quality to dvd. My purpose is to burn H.264 video files stored on my hard drives onto dvd+ or - R (DL) at HD quality.

Every burner is capable of burning a video file onto a disc.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
Old 05-09-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I know that. I'm asking which machines can burn HD video resolution (1080i or better) onto dvd+/- DL which is traditionally a 480i/ 480p format? There are lots of machines on the market, but only the Sony specifically says it will burn HD resolution onto DVD. I want to know if anyone has tried this and whether there are other machines that do the same thing.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any DVD/BD burner can burn "HD" video to a DVD.

It is the authoring software you are asking about. It sounds like you want to author a BD-5 or a BD-9, i.e. a BluRay compatible DVD with file structure/codec playable on a BD setop.

However, a simpler method that would not require authoring software would be to encode your HD x/h264 video in an .mkv file, and burn to DVD as a data disc. Any decent BD set top can play .mkv files.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, now we're getting somewhere!

Please keep in mind that I'm a novice when it comes to computer-based video. My pc capabilities are limited to hooking up simple usb-driven peripherals, and of course knowing how to hook up audio / video consumer equipment. (Actually I'm probably something of an expert at the latter, but that's beside the point.) So please be patient as I ask you to walk me through some of the less familiar terminology:

For starters, what exactly is a BD-5 or a BD-9? From what you're saying It sounds like a type of rom disc that can be written as either a dvd or a pseudo-blu-ray, no? Are the blanks relatively cheap like dvd-/+ rs or do they run more expensively as do the blank blu-rays (bd-R??). My goal here is the best bang for my buck especially when it comes to purchasing the blanks; I have a LOT of content to back up and store. This bd-5 or bd-9 option might be the way to go if I can buy them in bulk to save $$.

Along those lines, your second suggestion sounds even more attractive if I understand it correctly. But what, in layman's terms, is a ".mkv" file? It sounds familiar but again I am a novice-to-intermediate level pc user so all the different file types don't really mean much to me. I wouldn't technically know a ".mov" file from a ".rma" file from a ".wmv" file. I only know that each requires different software to be able to run on my desktop pc and notebook, and that my set top media center, network-capable blu ray set top players, and internet/media capable HD plasma tv can recognize and play some or all of these file types depending upon how I set up the hardware interfaces.

Thus, how would I convert my h264 files to .mkv files? What pc program/ application performs this function? Would I be merely copying the h264's as new mkv.'s or would the process permanently convert the original files? (My guess is probably the former, but I don't want to assume.) If the former, would I need to have the equivalent empty hard drive space, as with certain ripping programs?

Finally, and most importantly: need the BD drive be actually BD write-capable or can it merely read blu rays and be just dvd/cd-write capable? I ask because my Sony VAIO notebook's built in ROM drive reads blu rays but burns most other formats except blu-ray. Perhaps I misunderstood, but that's what I think you suggest in option 1 above. If all I need is a good authoring software and a dvd burner then maybe I don't need a separate bd burner at all? Furthermore, maybe I don't even need the authoring software but just need to know how to do the h264/mkv file conversion & then burn to dvd???

It would be nice NOT to have to purchase another disc drive at this time, 'cause it would save me upwards of $200 bucks! But even if I do still need to purchase a true blu-ray burner, you've convinced me that I probably don't need that overpriced Sony. An Aluratek or Buffalo burner would no doubt suffice, which is at least a $50 savings. That pays for a spool or two of blank dvd +/- DL's! LOL

Whew! Sorry for the barrage of questions. I do greatly appreciate the advice you've given so far, and hopefully you won't mind elaborating further.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A BD-5 is a *really* cool airplane-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede_BD...ns_.28BD-5B.29

...oh, you mean a Bluray

A BD9/5 is a dual (9) or single (5) layer DVD authored to "look" like a lower capacity BluRay disc to a bluray player.

However, all you need to do is re-package/remux your h264 video fles into a MKV container, or even just an .mp4 container.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

http://www.tech-faq.com/mkv-file.html

This site should have all the guides/HOWTOs you need.

http://www.videohelp.com/

But in brief, all you should have to do is load the h264 file into Avidemux

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

select "copy" video and "copy" audio (no transcoding) then Save with .mkv as the output container.

If the audio is not MP3 already, you may want to select MP3 (or AC3 dolby) for Audio vs "copy" to save sapce and/or make the .mkv output compatible with the most hardware.

Then just burn the .mkv file to a DVD in data mode.