Considering Linux for Multimedia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We've had tons of virus problems with our PCs so I'd like to consider Linux.

We have an EPSON 8350 projector and Kramer HDMI extenders (85 ft. between transmitter and receiver) and all of that works great. Now, it's time to upgrade our PCs because they're old and don't have the graphics capability to fully utilize the 8350's 1080p native resolution. In other words, it wouldn't make sense to try and make a 1080p graphics card work on these old PCs.

We're mainly using Powerpoint on the PC. Will Open Office open PowerPoint files? (I assume even after opening a ppt file, some reformatting may be required).

I'd like to try to replace these 2 old PC's with one new one. (One reason we have 2 PCs is reduncancy: one of them is often infected by viruses or malware.)

Here are some of the most important features we need:

1. Two HDMI 1.3 output ports (1 for local 1080p monitor, 1 for the projector)
2. Built-In blu-ray player
3. Capability to blank the projector without effecting the operator's local monitor

Requirement #3 is to allow us to hide an operator's actions (e.g., switching from ppt to playing a dvd) from the audience. Originally, I was thinking of a separate blu-ray player + hdmi switch + audio de-embed, audio d/a, etc. If I can blank the HDMI signal to one (but not both) monitors, I believe I stand a chance to avoid the added expense of that external "glue."

I know there are programs that allow one to set up keystroke commands to blank a monitor (Keytouch for Linus and Wizno for Windows for example).

Any advice on built-in blu-ray players and dual 1080p outputs in a Linux box?

Will Keytouch or another program provide the ability to blank one of two HDMI outputs?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbledsoe View Post

We've had tons of virus problems with our PCs so I'd like to consider Linux.

We have an EPSON 8350 projector and Kramer HDMI extenders (85 ft. between transmitter and receiver) and all of that works great. Now, it's time to upgrade our PCs because they're old and don't have the graphics capability to fully utilize the 8350's 1080p native resolution. In other words, it wouldn't make sense to try and make a 1080p graphics card work on these old PCs.

We're mainly using Powerpoint on the PC. Will Open Office open PowerPoint files? (I assume even after opening a ppt file, some reformatting may be required).

I'd like to try to replace these 2 old PC's with one new one. (One reason we have 2 PCs is reduncancy: one of them is often infected by viruses or malware.)

Here are some of the most important features we need:

1. Two HDMI 1.3 output ports (1 for local 1080p monitor, 1 for the projector)
2. Built-In blu-ray player
3. Capability to blank the projector without effecting the operator's local monitor

Requirement #3 is to allow us to hide an operator's actions (e.g., switching from ppt to playing a dvd) from the audience. Originally, I was thinking of a separate blu-ray player + hdmi switch + audio de-embed, audio d/a, etc. If I can blank the HDMI signal to one (but not both) monitors, I believe I stand a chance to avoid the added expense of that external "glue."

I know there are programs that allow one to set up keystroke commands to blank a monitor (Keytouch for Linus and Wizno for Windows for example).

Any advice on built-in blu-ray players and dual 1080p outputs in a Linux box?

Will Keytouch or another program provide the ability to blank one of two HDMI outputs?

Thanks,

Jeff

Welcome to the forum and Linux-land!

If it's freedom from virii you seek, then you have found it

Good timing- I as planning on getting an 8350 soon...

LibreOffice has replaced OpenOffice-

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

and you shouldn't have problems with most/all .ppt's you receive from others.

1. Just get an Nvidia GT220/240 or higher with dual HDMI and/or HDMI+DVi outputs, and use a DVI to HDMI adpater on the DVI output.

2. Just get a BluRay BD-ROM drive for the PC. I don't use one on my HTPC's, so others will have to respond to the BD issue.

3. Using multiple monitor mode using the Nvidia control panel should allow you to do this.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Be aware that Blu Ray in linux doesn't yet appear to be plug and play.

Do-able... yes (at a minimum rip and then playback works... insert and play directly looks like its still bleeding edge)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1253725