Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

Hate to post a non-HTPC related question, but, wouldn't be the first time. I don't know where else to go with this and you guys are the smartest bunch I know.

Here's what I have: 3 DVDs with videos on them and stereo audio (not 5.1). The audio is where I'm having the difficulty. One channel of the audio (the left channel) is a click track metronome to follow the video with. The other channel (right) is the video's music.

I want to remove the right channel (the music) and then mono the left channel to both sides. I want the music gone, and the click track to come out of both L/R channels in mono.

Is this possible? I'm fine with ripping the DVDs and editing the files, if I knew what to edit with that will do the job.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you want to rip and transcode the DVD, you can use ffmpeg to remap the audio. I experimented with this a little when transcoding Blu-ray movies. I had a hard time finding info on doing it, so I added it to my thread on encoding H264 videos.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18244300

You first need to identify the audio and video tracks. Do that by using ffmpeg, but don't specify an output:
Code:
ffmpeg -i SomeDvdFile.vob
From there use my examples to try a few test runs. You can test it on a short section of the video (much faster) using the -vframes option. That other thread covers that too.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That should be possible in almost any video editor, but I've had NO luck with all the Linux based video editors I've tried. I've tried Autuer, OpenShot and PiTiVi and all I ever get is crashes or failure to recognize the ATSC TS files which is what I usually want to edit. Perhaps you'll have better luck with VOB files.

I'm sure there must be better ways to do this, but one way to do it would be the following:

1. Rip the discs
2. Use Avidemux to "demux" the audio tracks so that you have seperate audio and video files.
3. Use Audacity to edit the click track and turn it into a stereo track.
4. Use something like ffmpeg or mencoder to "mux" the new click track with the stripped VOB.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the replies, gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

If you want to rip and transcode the DVD, you can use ffmpeg to remap the audio. I experimented with this a little when transcoding Blu-ray movies. I had a hard time finding info on doing it, so I added it to my thread on encoding H264 videos.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18244300

You first need to identify the audio and video tracks. Do that by using ffmpeg, but don't specify an output:
Code:
ffmpeg -i SomeDvdFile.vob
From there use my examples to try a few test runs. You can test it on a short section of the video (much faster) using the -vframes option. That other thread covers that too.

I suppose I'm not understanding something: can ffmpeg remove one channel from within a stereo audio track on the DVD? That's what I'm wanting to do. The DVDs have 3 audio tracks each. Track 1 is music+singing, track 2 is music only, and track 3 is a split track with music on the right channel and click on the left. I want to remove the music all together and either mono the click track to L and R or stereo it to L and R. Either way, I need the click coming out of both sides and no music.

Can ffmpeg do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

That should be possible in almost any video editor, but I've had NO luck with all the Linux based video editors I've tried. I've tried Autuer, OpenShot and PiTiVi and all I ever get is crashes or failure to recognize the ATSC TS files which is what I usually want to edit. Perhaps you'll have better luck with VOB files.

I'm sure there must be better ways to do this, but one way to do it would be the following:

1. Rip the discs
2. Use Avidemux to "demux" the audio tracks so that you have seperate audio and video files.
3. Use Audacity to edit the click track and turn it into a stereo track.
4. Use something like ffmpeg or mencoder to "mux" the new click track with the stripped VOB.

Going to try this today. Hopefully with some luck. All these different audio/video codecs and formats and containers and converting this into this so this will recognize it and then converting it to this and then converting it back has my head spinning! So far, the only editor of any kind I've found that will remove a channel and then split the other to mono/stereo is audacity. At my church, we have a Pro Tools recording setup. Wonder if that'd do the job. Guess if worse comes to worse. Definitely going to try your suggestion first though!

Thanks again, guys!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post

I suppose I'm not understanding something: can ffmpeg remove one channel from within a stereo audio track on the DVD? That's what I'm wanting to do. The DVDs have 3 audio tracks each. Track 1 is music+singing, track 2 is music only, and track 3 is a split track with music on the right channel and click on the left. I want to remove the music all together and either mono the click track to L and R or stereo it to L and R. Either way, I need the click coming out of both sides and no music.

Can ffmpeg do this?

Yes (I think).

First. ffmpeg can make a DVD compliant mpg file. That is if you want to make it into a DVD again. That would look something lke this:
Code:
ffmpeg -i dvd.vob -target ntsc-dvd dvd.mpg
To add a remapping of the audio tracks, you first need to know the track available (as ffmpeg see them). Here is what I get when I run it on a DVD file:
Code:
$ ffmpeg -i VTS_01_1.VOB FFmpeg version SVN-r0.5.1-4:0.5.1-1ubuntu1.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --extra-version=4:0.5.1-1ubuntu1.1 --prefix=/usr --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-vdpau 
 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis
 --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --disable-stripping --disable-vhook --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-gpl 
 --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-shared --disable-static
  libavutil     49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
  libavcodec    52.20. 1 / 52.20. 1
  libavformat   52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
  libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
  libavfilter    0. 4. 0 /  0. 4. 0
  libswscale     0. 7. 1 /  0. 7. 1
  libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
  built on Mar 31 2011 18:53:20, gcc: 4.4.3

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 59.94 (60000/1001) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
Input #0, mpeg, from 'VTS_01_1.VOB':
  Duration: 00:23:18.99, start: 0.233567, bitrate: 6139 kb/s
    Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480 [PAR 8:9 DAR 4:3], 7700 kb/s, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Stream #0.1[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 224 kb/s
At least one output file must be specified
The lines in red are the video and audio tracks. If you have multiple audio tracks, that would mean there would be a Stream #0.2, Stream #0.3 etc. Let's pretend that there is a third track (a second audio track), and you want to remap it to be the only audio track:
Code:
ffmpeg -i dvd.vob -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -target ntsc-dvd -ac 1 dvd.mpg -newaudio
That should map the second audio channel, and make it mono (-ac 1). I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it will work as I posted it. To try a short test run, ad the -vframes option:
Code:
ffmpeg -i dvd.vob -vframes 400 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -target ntsc-dvd -ac 1 dvd.mpg -newaudio
I'm trying this on my DVD file and I get an error. If I remove the -newaudio, then it works. But my DVD only has one audio channel, so that may be why I get an error. You can't remap audio when you only have one channel!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, my file still has a stereo audio track, so something isn't correct. I'm sure that it can be done, but I'm busy remodeling my house and don't have time to figure it out for you right now.

EDIT: I was using the -acodec option, and when I removed that it converted it to a mono track. When you think of it, I didn't want to copy the audio codec!
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page