mdadm array migration between hardware upgrades - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

Long time lurker, still a Linux noob but I'm learning I currently have a home media server setup with the following hardware specs:

MSI P45 motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600
8GB DDR2 RAM
2x 250GB WD HDD in RAID1 via LVM (boot/swap etc)
8x2TB Hitachi HDD in RAID5 via mdadm (media/data)

The server mainly serves files for HTPCs around the house and runs a few VMs with VMWare server. I have recently picked up the following hardware which I'm thinking about upgrading to:

Gigabyte EX-58-Extreme motherboard
Intel i7 920
12GB DDR3 RAM

My main concern is - will I be able to just swap the driving into the new system and everything can just pick up where it left off? More specifically, will mdadm be able to detect the 8x2TB drives attached to the new hardware and re-assemble the array?

My buddy that helped me set this system up isn't sure so I figured I ask here first, the boards do have the same ICH10R southbridge providing 6 of the SATA ports and 2 more will be run off of the extra controller onboard. I don't have a lot of Linux experience switching out core parts but in Windows I've had great success moving things between various Intel chipsets and architectures from P965 -> P35 -> P45 -> H55 -> X58.

Any insight or advice on how to proceed with the move or precautions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 PM

I just changed motherboards on 2 different Ubuntu 10.04 installs. Both changed chipsets, one of them was drastic (ancient VIA AMD chipset to AMD 785) and the other was a small jump. Both went off without a hitch. I'm convinced that linux is pretty damn good about hardware changes.

As for your raid arrays, I don't have the answer.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have attached my raid5 mdadm raid (5x1TB) to 3 different PCs already, it always worked without any issues.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #4 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response all!! I'm not actually going to be rebuilding the base Linux system, I was just going to move the 2x250s to the new system and boot from that.

So seems like it'll be fine
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page