Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 no display in tvtime - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I am trying to get this P.O.S Hauppauge "WinTV" HVR-1800 TV tuner card to work with Linux (openSUSE 11.4). I've followed the steps given here:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...WinTV-HVR-1800

as directed from the Hauppauge Linux Support Center in the FAQ. This attempt to get this working for Linux was only made after attempting to use this card with Windows, which I thought might be easier considering the whole "WinTV" thing, but I guess I thought wrong. long story short, after discussing the issue directly with Hauppauge tech support, I've concluded that Windows does not support this card (or likewise - it does not support Windows).

I followed those steps from obtaining, building, and installing the V4L-DVB drivers, to enabling analog support, installing cx23885 and tuner firmware.

Now when I try to capture in on Composite-1 in tvtime I am getting just a blank black screen. this is a little progress considering before when I attempted to capture on Composite-1 I think I received errors from tvtime. also, when I attempt to capture directly on /dev/video0 or /dev/video1 tvtime is acting the same way. this is progress considering I'm no longer receiving errors but I'm still not getting the display from Composite-1.

this is the output from mplayer, possibly some useful error info:

Quote:

mplayer /dev/video1 -vo x11 -nobps -autosync 30 -forceidx -hardframedrop -vc ffmpeg12 -idle -menu -cache 16384 -cache-seek-min 50 -mc 0 -ni

MPlayer dev-SVN-r33574-4.5-openSUSE Linux 11.4 (i686)-Packman (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
[MENU] Can't open menu config file: /home/slyderider/.mplayer/menu.conf

Playing /dev/video1.
Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)

Cache not filling, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min!
Invalid seek to negative position fffffffffffffff8!

Loading extension-related profile 'vo.vdpau'

and then mplayer UI fails to appear. I should note that switching the input over to /dev/video0 gives a better looking result:

Quote:

MPlayer dev-SVN-r33574-4.5-openSUSE Linux 11.4 (i686)-Packman (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
[MENU] Can't open menu config file: /home/slyderider/.mplayer/menu.conf

Playing /dev/video0.
Cache fill: 16.48% (2764800 bytes)
Killed

as you can see mplayer killed because capturing on /dev/video0 causes it to hang without displaying the UI.

could anyone please help me get this card to capture video on Composite1? device plugged in there is an NTSC CCTV camera, although that's probably not relevant, I would think it should be easier to capture video on these cards from digital devices as opposed to analog.

any help at all with this issue would be great as you can probably tell I'm getting quite frustrated with the overall lack of support for this card.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That may be one of the hybrid cards where analog is not supported. The wiki page linked to this mythtv page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Analog_Ha..._Encoder_Cards

which says it isn't supported.

I have the 1600 and at one time there wasn't analog support either. Apparently now there is a driver for it (I haven't played with the analog side).

Probably the simplest thing to try is in a terminal:

cat /dev/video0 > output.mpg

Give it some time and then hit ctrl-c (hold ctrl key and then hit c) to stop it. Then see if you have anything in the output.mpg file. You could then try to play it with mplayer. Even with no signal on the analog connecter it should record "static".

If the file is empty then most likely the analog for that card isn't supported. If you do get something then there is hope. I have a script at home somewhere that I can post that you could use to capture from composite. You probably want to capture old video (VHS or something) like I have done in the past.

You will need to install v4l2-utils or whatever it's called on your distro. The programs in that package allow you to tune the card, change inputs etc.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

running cat /dev/video0 > output.mpg in the terminal for a few minutes created output.mpg of over 200 MB, which when opened in mplayer is static.

I'm trying to hook up a CCTV camera to the tuner card. I just installed the v4l-tools package. could you please post that script? I can give it a try.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM

I will post the script when I get home (assuming I can find it). It's a simple script that set the input, did a cat for a certain number of seconds, then killed the cat after the time elapsed, and exited. I captured from a VCR (old home movies) and was too lazy to babysit it so I would set the seconds parameter to 2 hours.

The program that set the input is called v4l2-ctl, which now I assume you have installed. In the mean time you could read up on how it works as it can set many parameters for the v4l2 driver that you are running.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I'm thinking this card just doesn't do analog.

I got the WinTV software working in Windows, it seems to be giving me the same sort of (blank) display as tvtime and mplayer in Linux. I get the messages "0 Composite", "...Tuning", "...Buffering" and then
a blank display for "0 Composite". it appears to be having difficulty decoding the analog signal.

v4l2-ctl, the v4l-tools package for SUSE appears to include v4l-ctl:

Quote:
v4l-tools

This package includes a bunch of command line utilities: v4lctl to
control video4linux devices;
I can try the script, but is that all that it is doing, switching to Composite and using cat to capture from /dev/video0? I assume that tvtime is doing something like that, it allows me to switch input to Composite, but I'm just getting blank display (same as WinTV7 software).

I tested the WinTV7 software with listening in on a FM radio channel just to see if drivers were functioning properly with Windows - it worked. so I'm beginning to think my Linux install is working as well (no error), it just doesn't work for the cam attached because like you said the card doesn't appear to support analog.

if you can find that script I would appreciate it, if not, no worries, I just don't think this is gonna work.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 AM

My apologies slyderider - I got home last night and this totally slipped my mind. You are probably right and analog isn't functional, but here it is. You'll have to change the v4l2-ctl to what it's now called on your machine.

Weird that they would change the name because v4l2 is different than v4l. Oh well.

--------------snip----------------

#!/bin/bash

function usage () {
echo "Usage: `basename $0` -f filename -s seconds"
}

INPUT="2"
AUDIOINPUT="1"
FILENAME="test.mpg"
SECONDS="30"

while getopts f:s:i:h o
do case "$o" in
f) FILENAME="$OPTARG";;
s) SECONDS="$OPTARG";;
i) INPUT="$OPTARG";;
a) AUDIOINPUT="$OPTARG";;
h) usage
exit 1;;
esac
done

sleep 1

/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --set-input=$INPUT --set-audio-input=$AUDIOINPUT --device=0

cat /dev/video0 > $FILENAME &

CAT_PID=$!
# $! is PID of last job running in background.

sleep $SECONDS

# You should add some check here to make sure cat is still running,
# otherwise you might accidentally kill some other process.
kill $CAT_PID

------------------------snip--------------------
Old 08-13-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks djb61230.

apparently v4l2-ctl is different from v4l-ctl. v4l-ctl doesn't support some of those parameters. v4l2-ctl I managed to find in my distro's "ivtv" package.

I had to change INPUT variable to 1 to allow that script to capture from Composite1 (2 was capturing S-Video).

here is the output:

Quote:
./test.sh -f testing.mpg -s 60
Video input set to 1 (Composite1)
VIDIOC_S_AUDIO: failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

looks driverish, although I really can't be bothered messing with the drivers for this card anymore. it seems the driver for this card simply does not support analog, there is no point in wasting my time with it anymore. not even the native Windows driver directly from Hauppauge will support analog.

reading the small print helps sometimes

Quote:
Support for the card's digital TV reception capabilities (8-VSB & 64/256-QAM) is currently provided within the latest drivers from the LinuxTV Hg repository, and should make its way into the 2.6.24 kernel. Analog support for the WinTV-HVR-1800 (which is currently contingent upon the addition of such to the CX23385/7 driver) will be added in the near future, but it will likely be too late for inclusion into 2.6.24.

lol, that is an excerpt taken from the very top of this page:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...WinTV-HVR-1800

more smaller print further down the page for the "Analog" section:

Quote:
Note: I have spoken to support in the MythTV-users IRC channel and they say the driver support / MythTV combination just doesn't work, and that the driver author is aware of the issue. I really wanted analog capture to work (and I may try messing around with it) but the "official" word is that MythTV currently doesn't support this card for analog capturing... --Jherm 00:20, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
Note: This doesn't work on Ubuntu 10.10 with the 1850 pcix, It still fails to see the analog tuner. --jbecwar 30 December 2010

that's pretty much all there is to it, I can't be bothered waiting for an analog capable driver that will likely never come, I'll just have to get a standalone DVR, which will probably be a lot more reliable than these mickey mouse capture cards anyways.

Thanks anyways for the help djb61230.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Sorry that it didn't work out. You are probably burned on the capture card but you could get an older model that works fine. Search for PVR-150 on ebay - that would do what you tried with the 1800 for sure. I'm certain it works on Linux as I have used them for many years. Should on Windows too but then again the 1800 should have too.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Alright thanks again djb61230. I bought the PVR-150 seeing as it has known functional analog for Linux.

Now I'm trying to configure this cards firmware. This card uses the ivtv driver but I'm stumbling with figuring the right configuration for the camera I think.

here is the current configuration:

Audio Output Connection to Sound Card = Not Connected
Infrared Control Configuration = Do Not Use IRC

Now the settings that I'm having trouble determining:

TV Standard
Frequency Table

Is there a way I could just set it to capture from composite? I'm thinking the "TV Standard" should be NTSC but I have no idea what the "Frequency Table" is supposed to be. The combinations I've tried so far haven't been successful. I'm thinking unless I get this right then the driver simply won't capture display from the camera, since it is not capturing the right channel.

cat /dev/video0 > output.mpg gives static when played in mplayer. current settings are NTSC-M with europe-west (defaulted with cam plugged in, or maybe not, I dunno if it defaults or not).

good news: this card seems to work for the camera in a Windows machine using WinTV software. apparently this card has been tested to be a success with Zoneminder, that is the ultimate goal, as soon as I can get this ivtv stuff right. I figure if the card works for the cam in Windows, it must work for it in Linux, I'm probably just not setting the firmware up right (probably "TV Standard" and "Frequency Table").

here is the output of the original command line posted, an attempt to capture from Composite:

Quote:

MPlayer dev-SVN-r33996-4.5-openSUSE Linux 11.4 (i686)-Packman (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
[MENU] Can't open menu config file: /home/cthulhu/.mplayer/menu.conf

Playing /dev/video0.
Cache fill: 19.92% (3342336 bytes)

MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO: MPEG2 720x480 (aspect 2) 29.970 fps 8000.0 kbps (1000.0 kbyte/s)
Load subtitles in /dev/
Cache not responding! [performance issue]
Cache not responding! [performance issue]
============================================================ ==============
Forced video codec: ffmpeg12
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmpeg12] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-1/2)
Opening audio decoder: [mpg123] MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 224.0 kbit/14.58% (ratio: 28000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [mpg123] afm: mpg123 (MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III)
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=0.
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=1.
[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=2.
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [x11] 720x480 => 720x540 Planar YV12
[swscaler @ 0x88c75a0]using unscaled yuv420p -> bgra special converter
[mpegvideo @ 0x894d340]ac-tex damaged at 9 0
[mpegvideo @ 0x894d340]Warning MVs not available
[mpegvideo @ 0x894d340]concealing 1350 DC, 1350 AC, 1350 MV errors
A: 80.0 V: 80.1 A-V: -0.111 ct: 0.000 2395/2395 9% 4% 0.6% 0 0 20%

Exiting... (Quit)

Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderider View Post

Alright thanks again djb61230. I bought the PVR-150 seeing as it has known functional analog for Linux.

Now I'm trying to configure this cards firmware. This card uses the ivtv driver but I'm stumbling with figuring the right configuration for the camera I think.

here is the current configuration:

Audio Output Connection to Sound Card = Not Connected
Infrared Control Configuration = Do Not Use IRC

Now the settings that I'm having trouble determining:

TV Standard
Frequency Table

Is there a way I could just set it to capture from composite? I'm thinking the "TV Standard" should be NTSC but I have no idea what the "Frequency Table" is supposed to be. The combinations I've tried so far haven't been successful. I'm thinking unless I get this right then the driver simply won't capture display from the camera, since it is not capturing the right channel.

I'm pretty sure that those settings (TV Standard, Frequency Table) matter only when you are using the tuner. The composite which you want to use you don't need to worry about them if I remember right. Definitely no frequency table with composite, maybe the NTSC needs to be set though. To be honest I've forgotten.

Before you start getting video data from /dev/video0 you want to make the composite is "active". Thats where you use the v4l2-ctl (or perhaps the ivtv-ctl) program. Once you make it active, put your camera on it, the captured video from /dev/video0 should be what you want.

So try:

v4l2-ctl --list-inputs

It should spit out stuff and some there should tell you an input number for composite. Lets say that output value is 2:

v4l2-ctl --set-output=2

Then when you cat or use mplayer you should see the video from the composite connection. On my Linux Mint box it's v4l2-ctl, just substitute ivtv-ctl if that is the program you have.

If you used that script something like this should work (assuming you saved it as capture.sh):

capture.sh -f test.mpg -s 30 -i 2

Let me know if you make progress. I just tried it here and it works fine with my analog card. I'll attach the script this time.

Edit: Sorry, now I know why I inlined the script, the upload here doesn't like .sh files.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, I had to make it active with v4l2-ctl. thanks a lot djb61230, I got it working now, cat /dev/video0 > output.mpg is now the captured video from the cam!

v4l2-ctl worked to set the output, I couldn't find the right parameters to do this with ivtv-ctl.

so it looks like it's set to set up in Zoneminder now. kinda crappy part is that I plugged this card into a machine that I didn't really intend to use for this just to test it yesterday when I couldn't get it working on the intended box. so I now I'll need to unplug and repeat. but its just really just a matter of switching to composite with v4l2-ctl, pretty simple really.

thanks again for the help, I'm so happy that it finally works.