Will Win PCs play with Linux PCs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had a Win HTPC for years and have collected terabytes of movies for it - most using Handbrake.

Also, I've got a wireless network (wired connection for the Media PC) to enable our household to share a few files.

If I build a Linux box, will I be able to use the movies I've already burned or would I have to start that process all over (a MAJOR negative).

Will our other PCs be able to connect with the Linux box to share files?

If you guys talk me into a Linux box, be prepared to help me with my many questions (like Which of these is the web browser?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
The short answer is yes. As long as you're not trying to play bluray directly you should be able to accomplish all of what you're wanting to do.

That's not to say there won't be headaches along the way. You can almost be certain there will be. The biggest hurdles I've had were with file sharing, more so from linux to linux than linux to windows, and with video playback.

Make sure you do yourself a favor and use an nvidia video card.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post

I've had a Win HTPC for years and have collected terabytes of movies for it - most using Handbrake.

Also, I've got a wireless network (wired connection for the Media PC) to enable our household to share a few files.

If I build a Linux box, will I be able to use the movies I've already burned or would I have to start that process all over (a MAJOR negative).

Will our other PCs be able to connect with the Linux box to share files?

If you guys talk me into a Linux box, be prepared to help me with my many questions (like Which of these is the web browser?)

No need to worry, I can't think of any reason you would have to re-encode your movie collection. They should play just fine with most (all?) linux distros. If you plan to simply transplant your hard drive from a win box to a linux box you should be ok as linux can read NTFS (windows) formatted volumes. Note, however, that windows cannot read ext* (linux) format. Now of you are planning share your movies over your network from your win box (win--> linux) you will need to use smbfs. There are tons of tutorials on the web that walk you through the set up step by step. To share from linux --> win you will need to use samba which takes a little more work. Again, there are a ton of resouces available to help you with that.

If you're new to linux, I highly recommend you download an Ubuntu iso and set up a dual boot on one of your windows boxes just to play around a bit before you commit a build to it. Linux can be a lot of fun, depending on your definition of fun of course .

Oh, and the internet browser is probably firefox or google chrome

Edit: Instead of Ubuntu you might want to try Linux Mint. The latest Ubuntu release has the Unity desktop which is very new and not a great first or typical linux experience IMO. Mint is more media oriented as well.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page