Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having huge issues with 11.10:

It's unstable (freezes)
and
I have display corruption

I have a Geforce 8800 and am using the Nvidia Binary driver

Didn't have any issues with any previous Ubuntu release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 11-17-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper87 View Post

It's unstable (freezes)
and

Fresh install or upgrade?

I did a fresh install and have no issues (GT240 with nvidia binary drivers). My previous install had an Xorg memory leak somewhere and required a reboot every ~10 days

My only issues are some packages which are no longer supported in 11.10.
post #63 of 96 Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper87 View Post

It's unstable (freezes)
and

I assume you are using the base Ubuntu (Unity), as my Xubuntu (XFCE) 11.10 load has been very stable and glitch free on an Nvidia GF8200 and Nvidia proprietary driver 280.13

The Unity version of Ubuntu has a lot of new/updated display manager and compositing-heavy stuff that makes the video/Xwin subsystem buggy. Hopefully that will be cleared up by 12.04 with Unity.

In the meantime, use Xubuntu or Kubuntu.
post #64 of 96 Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

Fresh install or upgrade?

It's a fresh install.
post #65 of 96 Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

In the meantime, use Xubuntu or Kubuntu.

I'll give Xubuntu a try. Also just saw Lubuntu is now an official release - I'll probably try that too.
post #66 of 96 Old 11-24-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently got an Intel based tablet, the Azpen X1. it is a basically the same tablet as the ViewSonic Viewpad 10. It came with Windows 7 and Android 2.2 on it. It is essentially a netbook without the keyboard.

I have now put Ubuntu 11.10 on it, and have found that the touchscreen works "out-of-the-box". This is good news for anyone with an Intel based tablet. One of the only problem that I encountered was that if I enabled any of the Accessibility settings, the Synaptic package manager won't run. Also. the pinch-to-zoom doesn't seem to work either.

I also have not found an on-screen keyboard like those available for Android. And apps that require keyboard input don't automatically bring up the keyboard (again like Android). I am looking into mapping one of the unused buttons on the right side to bring up/down a keyboard. Haven't found where to do this, yet.

I also have trouble closing out app windows using the "X" in the left hand corner. It is too small for my fat little fingers. Maybe there is a window theme with larger buttons that I can install.
post #67 of 96 Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I had an issue the other day with 11.04. My internet connection is intermittent. It is fine with Vista, which is what I am using right now. Of course, I am having trouble getting 11.04 installed on a new drive. I am about to install 11.10 and see what happens. Right now I am wondering if that reviewer was correct in that Canonical has focused to much on Unity at the expense of everything else.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #68 of 96 Old 12-18-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I just installed 11.10. After going nuts for about a hour with Unity, I downloaded gnome and feel almost back to normal. It was easy to get gnome classic - sudo apt get-install gnome shell. It isn't perfect, but I think I can live with it for now.

post #69 of 96 Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I played with Unity quite a bit on my convertable Tablet/Laptop with 10.04 and although it was okay, I preferred classic gnome. I really wasn't even a big fan of Unity when using it in touchscreen tablet mode. I know that was an older release of Unity, but it's just not for me - I could give it a chance, and really I do most things command line anyway, but I decided to pass on it when building my new machine in 11.10. Didn't really like what I read of Gnome3 either, so I have gone to Kubuntu (KDE4) for my latest build and re-install (I had an Ubuntu 10.04 system that had a current uptime of a year, let my parents come over and watch my kids for a weekend and somehow they made the machine unbootable - I didn't spend much time troubleshooting since everything important is backed up nightly, I just installed Kubuntu 11.10 on it).

It's been a while since I've used KDE day to day... so the transition has been a little rocky but fine. My spouse has transitioned to using it just fine too. When I do my biannual upgrades to the LTS version of myth next summer I may do some machines KDE4 and some Gnome and some Unity. Given the direction of Gnome and Unity, I thought it best I make myself familiar again with KDE.
post #70 of 96 Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That is great that you made the switch to KDE. I only played with it briefly. Did I miss something or can you not place items on the desktop?

post #71 of 96 Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I installed Unity on my Atom based tablet. The touch worked screen out-of-the-box, but there is no automatic way to bring up an on-screen keyboard. Also, the choices for keyboards is not very good.

I also found that, other than the menu/bar on the left, the window buttons are not made for fat little fingers like mine. They need a tablet theme with easy to touch icons.

If you use Unity long enough, you will find that it is no worse than any other desktop.
post #72 of 96 Old 12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

That is great that you made the switch to KDE. I only played with it briefly. Did I miss something or can you not place items on the desktop?

I don't usually put icons on my desktop, but I was able to to drag an app from the K-Menu and drop it on the desktop just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I installed Unity on my Atom based tablet. The touch worked screen out-of-the-box, but there is no automatic way to bring up an on-screen keyboard. Also, the choices for keyboards is not very good.

I also found that, other than the menu/bar on the left, the window buttons are not made for fat little fingers like mine. They need a tablet theme with easy to touch icons.

If you use Unity long enough, you will find that it is no worse than any other desktop.

I had the same experience with the keyboard back when I had it on my tablet - the keyboards weren't very good. Touch screen I believe worked out of the box (or I may have needed to load a driver don't remember). Screen rotation didn't work exactly right, but it was an easy fix as someone had already paved the way on the same hardware I was using.

I agree, I could probably get used to Unity, but I decided if I was going to have to get used to something, I'd go with KDE4.
post #73 of 96 Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

I don't usually put icons on my desktop, but I was able to to drag an app from the K-Menu and drop it on the desktop just fine.

I was trying to drag a folder from a flash drive and put it on the desktop. It didn't work, but I only played with it for a short time.

Talk about frustrating. I ran into the same slow intermittent internet yesteday. Using speedtest, I was getting 20 up/ 4 down on Windows, which is my usual speed on Ubuntu. Yesterday, I was getting 4 up/ 1 down. That should still be fine, if you get the connection. After looking around and seeing other people with somewhat similar problems, I tried some solutions. The one that ended up working was the easiest. I shut down the computer and unplugged the computer for five minutes. I turned it back on and it is working fine now. I can't believe that worked, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

post #74 of 96 Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I shut down the computer and unplugged the computer for five minutes. I turned it back on and it is working fine now. I can't believe that worked, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

After you unplug a computer, hold the On/Off button down for a few seconds. That should discharge any full capacitors in the system. I assume that is what waiting five minutes also did.
post #75 of 96 Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Changing the subject back to Unity/UI's in general, thought I'd share an interesting observation from my holiday family activities.

Two separate nephews, one from out of state in his late 20's using win7 on his work notebook and another local in his early 20's using OSX on a work supplied Mac notebook- both had their taskbar/dock moved to the left vertical side, a la Unity!

They don't know each other or talk to each other. I asked them about why they moved their taskbar/dock to the left side, and they both said it "felt better", "was easier". Neither of them knew about Unity or had ever seen the UI with dock/launcher on the left side.

So Canonical is getting *something* right with the Unity UI. Their guess that for wide aspects, a side dock/taskbar location is "better" was probably correct, if two independent users of two non Linux OS's laid out their desktop the same way on their own.

Now the global menus and full-screen app centric model for large screen desktops are arguments for another day
post #76 of 96 Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
post #77 of 96 Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM

I have become increasingly disappointed with Ubuntu over the past couple years, but a recent experience with Mythbuntu Oneiric finally did it for me. The install and setup went well enough, but I had problems with how it handled my wired connection. The connection was incredibly slow--when I had it, that is. It would continuously freeze up and drop out, so I finally decided to replace it with Fedora 16 and install and configure MythTV from scratch. So far that seems to have worked much better than a regular install of Mythbuntu or Mythdora.

I don't have any problems per se with Unity, but I'm still wondering why Canonical is pushing it so hard as opposed to a stock GNOME 3.x interface.

At any rate, i won't be installing Mythbuntu on my home system again until they get to at least 3.2 kernel-wise. Supposedly my network issues are a kernel bug with my NIC that didn't work itself out until 3.2, because it's not present on the Fedora box.

I think Canonical's been on top for so long they've started to take it for granted they'll always be there, so they've gotten sloppy. I really hope they snap out of it.
post #78 of 96 Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Do you have a Realtek NIC? I had the same problem and I read that it's something in the kernel. I ended up switching over to Fedora 16 and making my MythTV installation from scratch because Oneiric's only up to 3.0.x, while F16's on 3.2.x.
post #79 of 96 Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just posting here to state that I've had serious KDE stability issues with FC. OpenSUSE is *much* better IMHO if you are looking for a distro with a more recent kernel than *buntu. I use Gentoo at home, and vanilla-sources are at 3.2.2. Configure a kernel once, and you'll never go back. Just sayin'
post #80 of 96 Old 02-04-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Perfect timing for KDE users-

Linux Mint 12 KDE (built on top of Ubuntu 11.10) released-

Quote:

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 KDE. Linux Mint 12 KDE comes with updated software and brings refinements and new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use. This edition comes with the latest and recently released KDE 4.7.4. This is the first release of Linux Mint using Hybrid ISO images. Traditionally, tools such as 'Startup Disk Creator' or 'UNetbootin' were needed to install Linux Mint via USB. With hybrid images, you can simply use the 'dd' command or a graphical front-end to make a bootable USB stick with no efforts which acts exactly like a live DVD

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_lisa_kd...new.php#search

Download-

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=96

Plus, Kubuntu 12.04 (Ubuntu KDE edition) will be here in two months, with up to date packages

Quote:

New packages showing up for the first time include Linux Kernel 3.2.2, Upstart 1.4, Unity 5.0, LibreOffice 3.5 beta 2

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango...verview/Alpha2

Quote:

KDE Plasma and Applications 4.8 provide new features and improved performance
Key packages updated include:

Qt 4.8
KDE Platform 4.8
KDevelop 4.3 beta

You could try the Alpha2 now, beta 1 in a few weeks

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/
post #81 of 96 Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdukat View Post

I have become increasingly disappointed with Ubuntu over the past couple years, but a recent experience with Mythbuntu Oneiric finally did it for me. The install and setup went well enough, but I had problems with how it handled my wired connection. The connection was incredibly slow--when I had it, that is. It would continuously freeze up and drop out, so I finally decided to replace it with Fedora 16 and install and configure MythTV from scratch. So far that seems to have worked much better than a regular install of Mythbuntu or Mythdora.

I don't have any problems per se with Unity, but I'm still wondering why Canonical is pushing it so hard as opposed to a stock GNOME 3.x interface.

At any rate, i won't be installing Mythbuntu on my home system again until they get to at least 3.2 kernel-wise. Supposedly my network issues are a kernel bug with my NIC that didn't work itself out until 3.2, because it's not present on the Fedora box.

I think Canonical's been on top for so long they've started to take it for granted they'll always be there, so they've gotten sloppy. I really hope they snap out of it.

Mythbuntu uses the XFCE desktop, which has nothing to do with Unity or Gnome3- just pointing it out for noob readers. If one uses straight Mythbuntu, UNity or Gnome3 wouldn't even be installed.

It sounds like your issue was the wireless card driver, which may have been fixable with manual driver updates, probably requiring compiling the driver from the wireless chip vendors site.

All distros are on different schedules, so those that release after Ubuntu *should* have a later kernel rev and other packages. In two months, the other distros will look "behind" when U/K/Xubuntu 12.04 are released.
post #82 of 96 Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I have one issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I have an Intel based tablet that I want Linux installed on. One of the problems is with rotating the screen. If I use the xrandr command, the screen rotates but not the mouse/touchscreen. Ubuntu 11.04 has the option to put a Monitor icon in the panel. Here you can rotate the display and mouse. This option is now gone from Unity. Any way to add it back?
post #83 of 96 Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I have one issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I have an Intel based tablet that I want Linux installed on. One of the problems is with rotating the screen. If I use the xrandr command, the screen rotates but not the mouse/touchscreen. Ubuntu 11.04 has the option to put a Monitor icon in the panel. Here you can rotate the display and mouse. This option is now gone from Unity. Any way to add it back?

You could try Xubuntu 11.10 and grandr

https://codingwhites.wordpress.com/2...y-with-grandr/
post #84 of 96 Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, but actually I have worked it out. I spent most of the day on it! I started a thread on how to do it in a more appropriate forum/section. You can read it here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...pad-linux.html
post #85 of 96 Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh oh, Tom's put Ubuntu head to head against Windows 7
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3121.html

post #86 of 96 Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh oh, Tom's put Ubuntu head to head against Windows 7
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3121.html

Wow; a 23 page review on this from Toms!

Last page starts with: Oneiric In The Grand Scheme Of Things

Finishing with:

The Takeaway

Ubuntu 11.10 is a nice upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04, although the new interface has yet to achieve full feature parity with the classic GNOME 2 UI. Unity is better than it was in Natty. However, Oneiric is in no way ready for touchscreen devices. Technically, Ubuntu 11.10 tops Windows 7 in several areas of benchmark performance, but when it comes to the accessibility of more mainstream applications, don't give up your Windows installation just yet.

Ubuntu is a great fit for users who are only concerned with Web browsing. Netflix Instant junkies need not apply. Virtual immunity to viruses, free cloud storage, automatic updates, in-the-background backups, and social network integration on the desktop just sweeten the pot for this crowd. Casual indie games available in the Ubuntu Software Center, music from the Ubuntu One Music Store, and the Ubuntu One mobile clients serve to make Ubuntu more appealing to the growing demographic of smartphone users as well. A slick-looking interface and familiar Web applications like Firefox and Thunderbird also ease the transition from Windows.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #87 of 96 Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I put this here. Man, Windows 8 is pretty invasive. I installed the preview edition and they wanted two email addresses and my phone number. This is just a look see on my convertible notebook. I will be wiping this drive soon. As for 8 itself, it seemed a little more awkward to navigate than Unity. At least in Unity everything is on the dock. I truly hope 8 encourages people to look in Linux/BSDs direction. Unfortunately, I can see the appeal of this type of candy look for the general under 25 crowd.

post #88 of 96 Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like there are some issues with Xubuntu.
Quote:

Some bad news for the users and fans of Xubuntu, an official Ubuntu sub-project that has found some resonance with many Unity refugees. Charlie Kravetz, a former project lead, has formally resigned from Xubuntu: "Due to circumstances now surrounding the Xubuntu project, I will no longer be able to participate in any capacity. For 18 months as Project Lead, I attempted to keep as many as possible involved with this project. Some of those individuals fought every attempt I made to better the project. Now, having observed the project from the sidelines for almost an entire release cycle, I find that those individuals were actually playing some kind of games, for reasons I will never understand. As of the release of 'Precise Pangolin' as Xubuntu 12.04, I am resigning any and all positions with the project. I wish the Xubuntu success in the future." The development of the distribution continues unabated, however, with the developers issuing a call for testing before this week's planned release of beta 2 of Xubuntu 12.04.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120326

post #89 of 96 Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like there are some issues with Xubuntu.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120326

I don't see it as any big deal- just a change in project leader(s)/management.

In my experience, whenever someone says things like:

"...some of those individuals fought every attempt I made to better the project. Now, having observed the project from the sidelines for almost an entire release cycle, I find that those individuals were actually playing some kind of games..."

it tends to say more about the speaker vs whatever/whoever they're commenting on.

Comments like that come across as petulant at best.

FOSS drama queen-ery at worst
post #90 of 96 Old 03-30-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Wow; a 23 page review on this from Toms!

Last page starts with: Oneiric In The Grand Scheme Of Things

Finishing with:

The Takeaway

Ubuntu 11.10 is a nice upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04, although the new interface has yet to achieve full feature parity with the classic GNOME 2 UI. Unity is better than it was in Natty. However, Oneiric is in no way ready for touchscreen devices. Technically, Ubuntu 11.10 tops Windows 7 in several areas of benchmark performance, but when it comes to the accessibility of more mainstream applications, don't give up your Windows installation just yet.

Ubuntu is a great fit for users who are only concerned with Web browsing. Netflix Instant junkies need not apply. Virtual immunity to viruses, free cloud storage, automatic updates, in-the-background backups, and social network integration on the desktop just sweeten the pot for this crowd. Casual indie games available in the Ubuntu Software Center, music from the Ubuntu One Music Store, and the Ubuntu One mobile clients serve to make Ubuntu more appealing to the growing demographic of smartphone users as well. A slick-looking interface and familiar Web applications like Firefox and Thunderbird also ease the transition from Windows.

I have no idea what is meant by "accessibility of more mainstream applications"- having switched over myself 100% to Ubuntu/linux over 5 years ago, I have rarely had a need/want for any app functionality I couldn't find in FOSS/Linux. The few exceptions are free (beer and/or speech) Win apps (DVDfab, Irfanview) that run fine with Wine. I have needed nothing else. Nothing. And I'm a technical/experienced user! All the non-technical people I've switched over years ago (wife, Mom, nieces, nephews, sisters/brothers, etc) have never felt they were "missing" any app capability, either. Yes, they may initially ask "How do I install iTunes", but then show them the alternatives like Rhythmbox or similar, and it's "Oh. Cool". Same goes for other app categories/types.

No non-technical/non-corporate user needs MS Office, Photoshop or any of the other oft cited commercial apps as reasons to stick with Windows.

Even large, serious organizations don't-

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/0...witch-to-linux

Funny thing is, the only reason I keep hearing to stay with Windows in recent months is for some commercial games that don't work well under Wine or aren't Flash/Java/web/cross platform already. Get them an Xbox and have your PC grow up!

Ironically, the most often heard excuse I heard in the late 1980's for companies or image-conscious home users to *Not* buy a Commodore Amiga or Atari ST (both machines and OS's being far more capable than the DOS/x86 machines of the day) was that those were "game computers" sold by "game companies", i.e. the "game" label was a derisive term used to disparage those choices. Funny how now most companies/home users have computers running an OS/apps by a "game company" The double standard to those of us who've been in this business/hobby long enough is both hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Quote:

"Ubuntu is a great fit for users who are only concerned with Web browsing"

Quite laughable given the HTPC/PVR/media uses detailed in this forum. He then goes on to actually contradict his absolutist statement with counterexamples:

"Virtual immunity to viruses, free cloud storage, automatic updates, in-the-background backups, and social network integration on the desktop just sweeten the pot for this crowd. Casual indie games available in the Ubuntu Software Center, music from the Ubuntu One Music Store, and the Ubuntu One mobile clients serve to make Ubuntu more appealing..."

I'm glad to see reviews like Tom's- just critiquing his journalism style
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page