SUSE Studio: build your own distro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
OK, now, this is pretty cool especially since it's free: http://susestudio.com/

I did one up just to see how it works: https://susegallery.com/a/ZKRCPb/sys...minimal-x-htpc

Note that I didn't put much thought into that, but you can see the potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
While I'm on the subject, here are some things that I love about openSUSE:

1) YaST is the best system config/admin tool that I've ever seen.
2) stable, rolling updates with Tumbleweed repos: http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
3) Xen works out-of-the-box.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be included in an HTPC distro. I'm sure that if we all put our heads together then we could come up with something that would be better and even easier to set up than what's currently available.

Or not. Whatever.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I couldn't resist.
Just say the word, Su-Su-Sussudio.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post

I couldn't resist.
Just say the word, Su-Su-Sussudio.

I never understood what the heck that song was about. What is a sudio?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I never understood what the heck that song was about. What is a sudio?

Hmm, let's see a quick https://startpage.com search (no I don't use the big G anymore) turns up:
Quote:

The main lyric came about as Collins was improvising lyrics to a drum machine track he had programmed: "suss-sussudio" was a wording that scanned improperly. After trying to find an alternative word to fit the rhythm, the singer decided to keep "Sussudio" as the song title and lyric. Collins has said that he "improvised" the lyric. Collins was just playing around with a drum machine, and the lyric "sus-sussudio" was what came out of his mouth. "So I kinda knew I had to find something else for that word, then I went back and tried to find another word that scanned as well as 'sussudio,' and I couldn't find one, so I went back to 'sussudio,'" Collins said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussudio

Now what do I win?!

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #6 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw that too, but figured there had to be another reason, a real reason.

Just shows why Genesis went downhill after Peter Gabriel left and Phil Collins took over.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just shows why Genesis went downhill after Peter Gabriel left and Phil Collins took over.

Is/was Britpop so popular in the US?

Personally I much rather listened to "The Boss" (I mean his albums up to the mid '80s, not the newer stuff) than to any of those British weenies.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #8 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, now we're off topic.

I can't stand Springsteen. It took Manfred Mann (a Brit) to make his songs sound decent. I like Dylan, and Springsteen is no Dylan.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

OK, now we're off topic.

I can't stand Springsteen. It took Manfred Mann (a Brit) to make his songs sound decent. I like Dylan, and Springsteen is no Dylan.

And Patti Smith too(Because The Night).
post #10 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, now we're off topic.

I didn't start the off topic, pcdoctor did!

Quote:
I can't stand Springsteen. It took Manfred Mann (a Brit) to make his songs sound decent.

Manfred who? Never heard of him or his covers before you mentioned him. I like the original Springsteen and the E-Street band, and mostly his classic stuff up to and including the 'Born in the USA' album, his later albums aren't that great anymore, there are some good songs in between but none of them compare to his earlier songs.

Quote:
I like Dylan, and Springsteen is no Dylan.

Thank goodness. If Springsteen sounded like Dylan I would have never liked his songs!

Quote:
And Patti Smith too(Because The Night).

Yes, she was a good influence on Springsteen, 'Because The Night' is one of my favourite songs.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The real question is can any of those musicians run Linux from the cloud? From anywhere?
post #12 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Whoa now, hang on there- NOW you guys have opened a can of worms!

I'm THE uber Genesis geek!

(and prog/alternative/indie in general)

Other Sussudio links-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussudio

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1908

Quote:

"Sussudio" is a girl's name in the lyrics, but it is also the name Collins gave to the song's drum track.

I think it's clear from the song and the music video produced at the time that Sussudio is a (made up/improvised) girl's name and the song is about her.

Is the track a great piece of art? Probably not. Does it represent the time/culture of the mid 80's well- sure does. Phil's solo work was never intended to be high art. He wanted to indulge in pop sounds for the masses/radio play = mass market $$$, which he did quite well with, with far more profit than any other Genesis member's solo work.

Yes, Genesis' output after Gabriel's departure became increasingly poppy/commercial, again on purpose, in order to reach a wider audience and more income. Bands like Yes were doing the same thing with more mass market appeal in their sound. Even then, they threw the prog fans a bone with several proggy tracks on all albums released in the 80's/90's, with the ratio of pop/prog increasing with every album. But it took until at least Duke for that to become obvious, as Wind & Wuthering, Trick of the Tail and yes, even And Then There Were Three are great prog/art albums.

Even prog/art prudes should recognize the value in neo-prog tracks like Abacab, Mama, Domino, and even Collin's solo "In the Air Tonight". Heck, even Sussudio was recognized with (Wikipedia)

Quote:

At the time, it was like nothing you had ever heard before on the radio. The word "Sussudio" may not have meant anything, but the song itself was pure magic."

Quote:

Where the vast majority of artists from this era try out the synthesizer/keyboard/horn section soup and fail miserably, Collins seems to have the recipe down to a science," Hamilton adds

At least his sound wasn't cookie cutter of the era, but rather trendsetting, regardless of being (now)dated/poppy or not.

Genesis' live concerts all the way until the 2007-2008 tour were at least 50% prog/art playlists (by playtime), so they never really forsake the serious fans. Whereas too many artists/bands appear to become parodies of themselves as time marches on, Genesis demonstrated their timeliness, attention to quality showmanship, and class in the 2007/8 tour, which I attended and recommend on DVD.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

...Genesis demonstrated their timeliness, attention to quality showmanship, and class in the 2007/8 tour, which I attended and recommend on DVD.

I actually saw Genesis on the first tour without Peter Gabriel. A friend had seen them during "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" tour. He came back with stories of the lead singer wearing freaky masks while performing! I was familiar with Genesis music, but now I had to see them. I was determined to see them next time they came around.

Not being a huge fan, I hadn't heard of Peter Gabriel's departure from the band. When they came to Milwaukee the next year, I got tickets and went. What a HUGE disappointment that concert was!!. No Peter Gabriel, no freaky masks, just a balding drummer imitating Peter Gabriel's singing style.

I guess that is why I hate Phil Collins so much.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually saw Genesis on the first tour without Peter Gabriel. A friend had seen them during "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" tour. He came back with stories of the lead singer wearing freaky masks while performing! I was familiar with Genesis music, but now I had to see them. I was determined to see them next time they came around.

Not being a huge fan, I hadn't heard of Peter Gabriel's departure from the band. When they came to Milwaukee the next year, I got tickets and went. What a HUGE disappointment that concert was!!. No Peter Gabriel, no freaky masks, just a balding drummer imitating Peter Gabriel's singing style.

I guess that is why I hate Phil Collins so much.

Quite understandable. That's pretty much the sentiment I hear from those old enough in the 70's to have been aware of Genesis and attended their concerts at the time. It took a few years for them to find their footing and confidence doing live shows sans Gabriel.

However, I was not old enough to have attended concerts on my own until the mid 80's, and no one I knew was into prog in the late 70's to have taken me even if I wanted.

Gabriel's theatrics, which he continues to this day in his solo concerts, lended notoriety to the 70's Genesis, who didn't get airplay then for their high art/prog sound. It made concert/live music fans at least want to see them.

Gabriel's departure demonstrated that he had little to do with the "Genesis" sound, though. Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail clearly show it was Banks and Hackett's contributions that comprised most of the "Genesis sound". This assertion is further reinforced by the sound of And Then There Were Three, which is a Banks-fest, after Hackett left.

To people forty-something and below, I think the current live lineup (the same since 1977 and Seconds Out, sans Hackett), represents the "real Genesis", since that's all we've ever known live, such as the Three SIdes Live, Mama Tour and We Can't Dance/Invisible Touch concert videos (on DVD), all chock full of serious prog/art goodness (and yes, poppy tunes by Invisible Touch/Wembley)

I *meant* "timelessness" vs "timeliness", but I guess both are apropos to my point.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page