Intel G620, is it enough? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand VDPAU is only available using Nvidia video cards. I am looking to build a PC for a friend, on a tight budget. I would like to use a G620 Sandy Bridge CPU and my concern is if the CPU is capable of playing 1080p video in Linux with no hardware acceleration.

I would not mind using a Nvidia GPU but it adds a minimum of 50 bucks to the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

Correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand VDPAU is only available using Nvidia video cards. I am looking to build a PC for a friend, on a tight budget. I would like to use a G620 Sandy Bridge CPU and my concern is if the CPU is capable of playing 1080p video in Linux with no hardware acceleration.

I would not mind using a Nvidia GPU but it adds a minimum of 50 bucks to the build.

Should only add ~$20 if you wait for a good sale/rebate on a G210, etc.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

Should only add ~$20 if you wait for a good sale/rebate on a G210, etc.

That's a pretty good idea, but I would rather stay with an onboard video card if I can avoid buying a second one.

Also it looks like Intel can use VA-API which might be what I was looking for.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

That's a pretty good idea, but I would rather stay with an onboard video card if I can avoid buying a second one.

Also it looks like Intel can use VA-API which might be what I was looking for.

I'm not paying huge attention (b/c I already have nvidia and VDPAU, ie. a working solution), but I have the impression that non-nvidia solutions for accelerated GPU are still a year away (or more) from being pervasive.. I'm not saying there aren't any players for vaapi, just that "everything" supports vdpau (it seems), and that wide-spread support isn't there for anything else, yet (and/or its there but you have to compile everything yourself)

You can always try the on-board Intel GPU for a few weeks, just make sure you buy a case that would permit (at least) a low-profile (or normal height) and fan-less G210 if you find that the vaapi support isn't everything you need.

Personally I prefer the Intel CPUs, but have nothing but contempt for their GPUs, doubly b/c they kicked the consumer in the teeth by freezing out the nvidia mobo chipsets which frankly ran circles around what Intel offered.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not paying huge attention (b/c I already have nvidia and VDPAU, ie. a working solution), but I have the impression that non-nvidia solutions for accelerated GPU are still a year away (or more) from being pervasive.. I'm not saying there aren't any players for vaapi, just that "everything" supports vdpau (it seems), and that wide-spread support isn't there for anything else, yet (and/or its there but you have to compile everything yourself)

You can always try the on-board Intel GPU for a few weeks, just make sure you buy a case that would permit (at least) a low-profile (or normal height) and fan-less G210 if you find that the vaapi support isn't everything you need.

Personally I prefer the Intel CPUs, but have nothing but contempt for their GPUs, doubly b/c they kicked the consumer in the teeth by freezing out the nvidia mobo chipsets which frankly ran circles around what Intel offered.

Thanks for the advice.

I am looking online and cannot find HQV scores for the G620, looking at the Nvidia scores it doesn't do very well so I am not sure I like the idea.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Have you looked at the AMD FM1 llano fusion apu's?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker305 View Post

Have you looked at the AMD FM1 llano fusion apu's?

Yeah I have looked at the Liano, it looks good also. It's a less powerful CPU but a good GPU. Both(Intel HD2000 and Radeon 6530)have good benchmark scores(HQV) and the price is very similar. However because of budget there are more choices for moetherboard that are cheap for Intel. The Liano I was looking at was the A4-3400.

Honestly I am not too concerned with video quality, I think any one of them will be fine. I just want to find a more or less fullproof equipment list for the budget. I do not want to rely on VA-API but it would be nice. It sucks that no tests mention CPU utilization playing HD video using CPU and not GPU.

I am not sure, maybe it's trivial now and that is why it isn't included in any tests?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

It sucks that no tests mention CPU utilization playing HD video using CPU and not GPU.

I am not sure, maybe it's trivial now and that is why it isn't included in any tests?

Pretty much. Not only has there been considerable improvement on lower end CPUs, decoders are also more efficient compared to before. The Pentium G620 is around the same level as a Core 2 Duo E8400 which is definitely no slouch. Heck, I reckon even a dual-core Celeron G530 shouldn't have much problem decoding Blu-ray 1080p.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Pretty much. Not only has there been considerable improvement on lower end CPUs, decoders are also more efficient compared to before. The Pentium G620 is around the same level as a Core 2 Duo E8400 which is definitely no slouch. Heck, I reckon even a dual-core Celeron G530 shouldn't have much problem decoding Blu-ray 1080p.

Thanks for the confirmation, in that case this thread is moot. I have an older I3 and a tricore AMD as my HTPC but both always use DXVA under windows so I wasn't sure. The I3 has hyperthreading so I couldn't really try since it's not apples to apples.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Thanks for the confirmation, in that case this thread is moot. I have an older I3 and a tricore AMD as my HTPC but both always use DXVA under windows so I wasn't sure. The I3 has hyperthreading so I couldn't really try since it's not apples to apples.

Mind you, I have no personal experience of software decoded 1080p playback on Linux (well, I might have had some playing with Kubuntu on a Celeron E3300 3.33GHz but I can't remember the results now). However, I didn't experience any issues using FFDshow Multi-Threaded (non-DXVA) on Windows 7. I do believe CPU utilization was well under 50%.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I'm not saying there aren't any players for vaapi, just that "everything" supports vdpau (it seems), and that wide-spread support isn't there for anything else, yet (and/or its there but you have to compile everything yourself)

The latest release of XBMC supports VAAPI and while this version of XBMC is beta I have found it to work fine...Although I can't comment of VAAPI as I've got a Nvidia card in my HTPC.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, XBMC, VLC, and MythTV (0.25) all support VA-API. It works fine for playing back ripped BluRays, for example. However, there's no de-interlacing support yet, so if you plan on using it with MythTV as a DVR, then you'll have problems playing back interlaced h.264 content. Interlaced MPEG-2 is no problem, it can be done in software just fine.