VDPAU problems with certain files in MythTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Every once in a while (okay maybe 3 times) I have some problems with some of the files I want to playback using VDPAU in myth. They are always h.264 mkvs, although most h.264 mkvs play fine. What I get is either a lot of pixelation, or as in this latest case, audio stuttering (the video seems fine). I've played with all kinds of settings in my ION Zotac Mag (Atom 330) but (different deinterlacers, modifying vdpaubuffersize) but nothing seems to help. The latest file is 3859Kbps (video), audio is DTS 6Channel 510Kbps. I've toggled the audio buffer setting in the frontend playback settings to no avail.

It's not a huge deal, as the video plays fine on my frontends that are powerful enough not to rely on VDPAU.

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with Myth's internal player or my configuring of it because on the same ION machine that has problems, I can play it back using VDPAU in XBMC or using mplayer without a problem. However, I'd prefer to use the internal player.

Any ideas on what I should look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I've tried a couple of more setting tweaks, but to no avail. If there is more information I can send that will be helpful (help someone help me) please let me know. I've upgraded mythfrontend to the latest .24 version in the mythbuntu repos, but still have this problem on certain files, that work in other players...
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No bright ideas, but a question, have you tried anything else for playback that has working VDPAU? I have one box where VDPAU seems to be working with MythFrontend but not on XBMC. That fact hasn't helped me fix XBMC, but it might be worth trying something that might lead someone to some ideas...
post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I posted earlier that mplayer and XBMC work fine on these same files on the same machine, so I think it is the Internal player - but I would like to use the Internal player so it would be nice to get it working... Same boat as you (well opposite . VDPAU works okay in all, but some files the mythtv Internal player butchers with VDPAU while XBMC and mplayer have no problems.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

Yeah, I posted earlier that mplayer and XBMC work fine on these same files on the same machine, so I think it is the Internal player - but I would like to use the Internal player so it would be nice to get it working... Same boat as you (well opposite . VDPAU works okay in all, but some files the mythtv Internal player butchers with VDPAU while XBMC and mplayer have no problems.

Maybe you'll see improvement in 0.25. There is a trunk feature freeze right now and it will be beta shortly. We should see the release in a month or so.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post

Maybe you'll see improvement in 0.25. There is a trunk feature freeze right now and it will be beta shortly. We should see the release in a month or so.

Regressions like this can be frustrating, especially if you use the software daily. Situations like this one is why I wrote my own code. A few times over the years I tried to debug and fix issues with myth without any success. That is not a reflection on them - it's me not knowing C++ very well and not investing the time needed to understand how their code works and is organized. At least now I can fix problems quickly because I wrote the code myself and understand every bit of it. And if a user (like my wife ) want a new feature I can just add it without depending on anyone else.

I hope it gets resolved for you sooner rather than later.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post

Regressions like this can be frustrating, especially if you use the software daily. Situations like this one is why I wrote my own code. A few times over the years I tried to debug and fix issues with myth without any success. That is not a reflection on them - it's me not knowing C++ very well and not investing the time needed to understand how their code works and is organized. At least now I can fix problems quickly because I wrote the code myself and understand every bit of it. And if a user (like my wife ) want a new feature I can just add it without depending on anyone else.

I hope it gets resolved for you sooner rather than later.

It's not a huge deal, I can switch between mplayer/XBMC/myth pretty easily. More a curiousity than anything else.

I wish I had the time (and still had the skill) to write my own code. My coding days are long past and pretty much today only consist of simple shell scripts and making somewhat simple modifications to existing C/C++/Java/Python/ASP.Net/PHP/Perl/Shell script code. I can read code now MUCH better than I can write it, although I'm not good enough at reading or writing to make a career of it at this time (being in management has dulled my technical skills ).
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page