My next HTPC will be Raspberry Pi - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 146 Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

2) Reliance on WiFi

Can this be alleviated with an adapter? http://www.budgetgadgets.com/10100mbps-rj45-ethernet-network-adapter-dongle-zt106-p-7428.html

According to this random wiki, a usb 2.0 ethernet adapter works fine with the MK802 http://romanrm.ru/en/a10/mk802-server

However this blogger and some other Q/A sites have unverified questions in regards to Android's ethernet adapter compatibility http://rikomagicmk802.blogspot.com/


Future would seem to be next gen pivos xios http://www.pivosgroup.com/xios.html. They already have XBMC builds with H/W acceleration, but there user forums still contains several 1080p playback stuttering reports. There seems to be a movement to place blame on the SMB sharing protocol, but windows to windows SMB shares can already deliver shared blu rays smoothly. I don't really know what's different with android's SMB protocol, or how far h/w acceleration is from the rest of the NEON ARM SoCs. It could be that next gen Tegra, Exynos, etc will be powerful enough to deliver smooth playback on software decode??? If so current hardware might just be deemed SD compatible
Dark_Slayer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 146 Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Member
 
PobjoySpecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
...
PobjoySpecial is offline  
post #93 of 146 Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Member
 
Castaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Castaa is offline  
post #94 of 146 Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Senior Member
 
kwisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to report that with the Raspbmc spin for the Pi I am 95% there for a media center frontend. The only thing I can't do is stream live TV from my HDHRPrime device. Live TV from my DVB tuners works and watching all recordings. There is a PVR addon in XBMC that will connect to your MythTV backend. I did have to purchase the MPG codecs for $3.75 also. It's almost there.
kwisher is offline  
post #95 of 146 Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dropkick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just got a PI and recently started playing with it but I'm unclear on one thing. Can this thing stream from a NAS/Server, or is it attached storage only?

Dropkick Murphy is offline  
post #96 of 146 Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
djb61230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Johnstown, NY
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisher View Post

I'd like to report that with the Raspbmc spin for the Pi I am 95% there for a media center frontend. The only thing I can't do is stream live TV from my HDHRPrime device. Live TV from my DVB tuners works and watching all recordings. There is a PVR addon in XBMC that will connect to your MythTV backend. I did have to purchase the MPG codecs for $3.75 also. It's almost there.

So are you using the PVR plugin? If so does commercial skipping work? Or in general, are there things that the XBMC/PVR interface lacks in respect to mythfrontend? I ask because whenever one changes from one program to another, sometimes there are compromises to be made. We tend to only hear about the positives and not the negatives. But perhaps there are no negatives in this case.
djb61230 is offline  
post #97 of 146 Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I asked this before, but don't think I really got an answer:

How does Raspbmc handle something like a Blu-Ray rip that has TrueHD? I know it can't decode TrueHD. Can it pass it through though? And if not, does it just default to the next audio tract it can handle?

Also, while I know it does not support BD-J menues, if you have rippe a Blu-Ray to folder structure, will it just select the largest title to play? Or does it not work at all?

Thanks!
ncarty97 is offline  
post #98 of 146 Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Member
 
PobjoySpecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
...
PobjoySpecial is offline  
post #99 of 146 Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 AM
Senior Member
 
kwisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

I just got a PI and recently started playing with it but I'm unclear on one thing. Can this thing stream from a NAS/Server, or is it attached storage only?
Yes, in fact in XBMC you don't even need to manually mount any network shares, you can just browse to them the first time and it adds it automatically. If you are using a vanilla Linux spin then shares can be mounted the usual way.
kwisher is offline  
post #100 of 146 Old 02-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
kwisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post

So are you using the PVR plugin? If so does commercial skipping work? Or in general, are there things that the XBMC/PVR interface lacks in respect to mythfrontend? I ask because whenever one changes from one program to another, sometimes there are compromises to be made. We tend to only hear about the positives and not the negatives. But perhaps there are no negatives in this case.
The standard PVR addon in XBMC connects to multiple backends, including MythTV. I am not sure about commercial skipping as I did not keep it in place long enough since I can't stream LiveTV from my HDHRPrime.
kwisher is offline  
post #101 of 146 Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisher View Post

The standard PVR addon in XBMC connects to multiple backends, including MythTV. I am not sure about commercial skipping as I did not keep it in place long enough since I can't stream LiveTV from my HDHRPrime.

Why couldn't you play livetv from the prime in Myth? It was one of the first backends to support it. Were you having problems with playback on the Pi, or all htpcs?

I use the prime as well, but I run the NPVR backend on windows 8 XBMC server-htpc. Live TV and recording scheduling have been working pretty well on OpenELEC 2.99.1 and 2.99.2. I've also got livetv playing on my Nexus 7 running the android stable release, but it doesn't handle 1080i for very long. It starts to buffer frequently after 10-12 seconds. There are experimental android builds to get graphics acceleration, but I've not had time to go test them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

I don't know about Ethernet adapter support under Android, but most "Android" devices currently use a custom version of Linux to run XBMC. They support XBMC on the Android OS, but there is too much overhead for it to work well.

Coming from someone who's been using XBMC on the Android OS, I don't believe this is correct for "most" Android devices. I'm sure this is correct for a "few" android devices, but post-4.0 devices take less than 100MB to run the Android OS and services. It may not intelligently manage itself if you load it full of third party resource hogs, but if you keep tabs on what's running it can handle XBMC and plenty more with breathing room. I don't soft-handle my Nexus to make it run XBMC smoothly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

Keep in mind that the fastest ARM processor is just approaching Intel Atom levels of performance.
In math calculation performance, but they kill Atoms at drawing polygons
The fastest ARM processor is a weak cpu with a gpu on steroids. Just need to wait a little longer on h/w acceleration. libstagefright looks promising
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

SMB has high overhead. I don't know if it's due to the protocol or its implementation on Linux
I don't know either, but to shed a little light on this. I picked up a $30 SSD back in August to replace my whs 2011 OS drive, but I instead of whs I wanted to try an ubuntu server since it could also run a myth backend. I went with a precise build and just added the ntfs drives to automount in the fstab and setup SMB sharing. I mounted the shares to my W7 htpc, but couldn't get blu ray rips to playback smoothly. Same story for openelec htpc. I installed W7 on the OS drive, repeated the process, and playback was smooth. I also tried out several file copies, and they would average about 30MB/s through Precise SMB sharing. W7 SMB share (same switch, cables, drives, just W7 as the OS instead of precise) would hit 80MB/s. I think it's the implementation, not the protocol
Dark_Slayer is online now  
post #102 of 146 Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
 
quantumstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Personally I can't understand using Samba rather than sshfs, but DS were you using CIFS or SMB? Ditch SMB (138, 139) as it is very old. All you need is port 445 on the server open for CIFS.
quantumstate is offline  
post #103 of 146 Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I think there are checkboxes during the server install for something like
  • SSH
  • Samba
  • LAMP

I chose from there, and ran "apt-get upgrade" "apt-get update" after installation. I never checked which versions. I'll probably try to troubleshoot different protocols next time around, thanks
Dark_Slayer is online now  
post #104 of 146 Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
 
quantumstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You can check which ports are open on a server with # lsof -i -n -P
(I have this in /etc/profile as: alias listen='lsof -i -n -P |more')

Definitely want to close all ports in and out that you don't specifically need. (I use app config first, and then Shorewall)

For years I've mounted remote volumes with sshfs. I regularly get ridiculed for keeping extremely tight security on my own LAN, but now with the rise of AWS (and BTW all the IT jobs it will cost), I'm laughing all the way to the bank. IT security is almost a reflex.

PS - You want to use: apt-get dist-upgrade instead of just upgrade, as the former upgrades in addition dependencies and libs. This is necessary for a stable system.
quantumstate is offline  
post #105 of 146 Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Member
 
PobjoySpecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
...
PobjoySpecial is offline  
post #106 of 146 Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Interesting!

Also, have any of you guys ordered a Raspberry Pi? It sounds like there's still a long wait. Also, the two websites that ship in the US listed on the Raspberry Pi website won't give you shipping and tax costs until after your order is processed. Sketchy! If these things were on Amazon I would have had one ages ago.

Edit: Nevermind, it is on amazon now!
lockdown571 is online now  
post #107 of 146 Old 03-15-2013, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
karrih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Interesting!

Also, have any of you guys ordered a Raspberry Pi? It sounds like there's still a long wait. Also, the two websites that ship in the US listed on the Raspberry Pi website won't give you shipping and tax costs until after your order is processed. Sketchy! If these things were on Amazon I would have had one ages ago.

Edit: Nevermind, it is on amazon now!

At least here I could just walk in shop and buy one right now.
karrih is offline  
post #108 of 146 Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Microcenter now has them in stock, so I may go pick one up.

I've converted all my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's to MKV, so no menu issues there anymore, however I'm curious how it handles regular DVD's. Any menu support? I know that XBMC has menu support (though it seems like the Frodo build is having issues with it).
ncarty97 is offline  
post #109 of 146 Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm looking at purchasing a Raspberry Pi model B. I have absolutely no experience with computers or software, besides the basics -no programming experience at all. I wanted to make sure that I'm purchasing the right equipment for what I want to do, which is learn how to rip my BDs, put them on a USB drive and watch them on my HDTV with the Pi. I would connect the Pi to my onkyo 809 AVR, which then goes to a Darbee Darblet and then to the plasma display.

First I wanted to make sure that I can rip my BDs and put them on this WD 4TB 'My Book' hard drive, and connect it to the Pi?

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B008S94HXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367130599&sr=1-1&keywords=my+book+essential+4tb

I also wanted to make sure the following equipment is all I need to purchase besides the hard drive:

-Raspberry Pi model B
- enclosure
- SD card (is bigger better? do I need software on this?)
- power supply
- USB cable (or USB to micro USB cable??)
- I have an HDMI cable already

I understand that I'll need to have an XBMC, such as RaspBMC or something similar... but my main concern is for someone like me that has no computer/software experience, will I have difficulty setting up the Pi and watching movies off the USB hard drive attached to it??

Many thanks for any assistance.

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #110 of 146 Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
James A. McGahee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

I just updated to Frodo. I was previously unable to revive my Raspberry Pi but the update, or something, seems to have almost brought it back. It did about a 30 min. rebuild and is now stuck int a "Relax, XBMC will restart shortly. Press ESC key for a command line". Every few seconds that message goes black and then comes back over and over. I unplugged RB Pi and plugged it back in on to have the same message return. I have it cabled to my router but it does not seem to find it to connect to the internet. I also have a hard drive connected to it that houses all the discs I own. It does not seem to find that either.

HELP!
and
THANKS!!!
James A. McGahee is offline  
post #111 of 146 Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Anyone ?? I'd really like to get the equipment this week for this.. Thx !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I'm looking at purchasing a Raspberry Pi model B. I have absolutely no experience with computers or software, besides the basics -no programming experience at all. I wanted to make sure that I'm purchasing the right equipment for what I want to do, which is learn how to rip my BDs, put them on a USB drive and watch them on my HDTV with the Pi. I would connect the Pi to my onkyo 809 AVR, which then goes to a Darbee Darblet and then to the plasma display.

First I wanted to make sure that I can rip my BDs and put them on this WD 4TB 'My Book' hard drive, and connect it to the Pi?

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B008S94HXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367130599&sr=1-1&keywords=my+book+essential+4tb

I also wanted to make sure the following equipment is all I need to purchase besides the hard drive:

-Raspberry Pi model B
- enclosure
- SD card (is bigger better? do I need software on this?)
- power supply
- USB cable (or USB to micro USB cable??)
- I have an HDMI cable already

I understand that I'll need to have an XBMC, such as RaspBMC or something similar... but my main concern is for someone like me that has no computer/software experience, will I have difficulty setting up the Pi and watching movies off the USB hard drive attached to it??

Many thanks for any assistance.

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #112 of 146 Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
sigma957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I'm looking at purchasing a Raspberry Pi model B. I have absolutely no experience with computers or software, besides the basics -no programming experience at all. I wanted to make sure that I'm purchasing the right equipment for what I want to do, which is learn how to rip my BDs, put them on a USB drive and watch them on my HDTV with the Pi. I would connect the Pi to my onkyo 809 AVR, which then goes to a Darbee Darblet and then to the plasma display.

First I wanted to make sure that I can rip my BDs and put them on this WD 4TB 'My Book' hard drive, and connect it to the Pi?

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B008S94HXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367130599&sr=1-1&keywords=my+book+essential+4tb

I also wanted to make sure the following equipment is all I need to purchase besides the hard drive:

-Raspberry Pi model B
- enclosure
- SD card (is bigger better? do I need software on this?)
- power supply
- USB cable (or USB to micro USB cable??)
- I have an HDMI cable already

I understand that I'll need to have an XBMC, such as RaspBMC or something similar... but my main concern is for someone like me that has no computer/software experience, will I have difficulty setting up the Pi and watching movies off the USB hard drive attached to it??

Many thanks for any assistance.
I have been experimenting with XBMC on a Raspberry Pi and I can answer a couple of your questions:

- The Raspberry Pi is intended for people with some technical knowledge - not necessarily programming experience, but you will have to be able to write sd card images, edit configuration files, and search online forums for instructions (the Pi does not come with any directions). That said, it's not hard to set up - but you will have to be prepared to do some learning. It takes a bit of effort to get smooth 1080p playback because it is such an under powered device. I had to overclock mine to get it to work satisfactorily, and there are still times when I find that the interface lags a bit too much for my liking.

- You can connect external USB drives to the Pi as long as they have their own power supply. The drive you reference above looks like it should work, but no one can say for certain without trying it.

- Unless you plan to store media files on the SD card, bigger is not better (8GB should be plenty) - however faster is better. If possible you want a class 10 card.

- You don't mention it in your list, but I assume you will want to network the device. For that you need either an ethernet cable (and somewhere to plug into you home network), or a usb wireless adapter. The wireless route can be tricky - check the forums for compatible devices.

- You also need to consider how you will control it. For initial setup it's handy to have a usb keyboard. After that you will want to use a remote control. There are Android and iPhone remote control apps, but they require you to be networked. If you have a modern TV connected to it through HDMI, you can probably control it with the TV remote using CEC.

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
sigma957 is offline  
post #113 of 146 Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957 View Post

I have been experimenting with XBMC on a Raspberry Pi and I can answer a couple of your questions:

- The Raspberry Pi is intended for people with some technical knowledge - not necessarily programming experience, but you will have to be able to write sd card images, edit configuration files, and search online forums for instructions (the Pi does not come with any directions). That said, it's not hard to set up - but you will have to be prepared to do some learning. It takes a bit of effort to get smooth 1080p playback because it is such an under powered device. I had to overclock mine to get it to work satisfactorily, and there are still times when I find that the interface lags a bit too much for my liking.

- You can connect external USB drives to the Pi as long as they have their own power supply. The drive you reference above looks like it should work, but no one can say for certain without trying it.

- Unless you plan to store media files on the SD card, bigger is not better (8GB should be plenty) - however faster is better. If possible you want a class 10 card.

- You don't mention it in your list, but I assume you will want to network the device. For that you need either an ethernet cable (and somewhere to plug into you home network), or a usb wireless adapter. The wireless route can be tricky - check the forums for compatible devices.

- You also need to consider how you will control it. For initial setup it's handy to have a usb keyboard. After that you will want to use a remote control. There are Android and iPhone remote control apps, but they require you to be networked. If you have a modern TV connected to it through HDMI, you can probably control it with the TV remote using CEC.


Thanks very much for your response, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this up, the info you provided is very helpful for me. From what you've said, I'm on the fence right now.. I'm willing to learn and I think that by reading the boards and asking questions, I might be ok (?) I believe that there might also be some 'instructions' manual on the net. But when you start talking about overclocking, you totally lost me there lol.

I might hook it up to my network, I have a router in my AV stand with a free port so that wouldn't be a problem at all. However, that's not a priority for me.. All I really want to do is rip my BDs on my PC, put them all on the 4TB USB external hard drive, hook it up to the Pi and watch the BDs on my system.. I'm not familiar (yet) with ripping BDs, but obviously I know all the info is out there and I will look it up, but my main concern besides actually setting up the Pi and the interface is your comment about the difficulty in 1080p playback for the Pi. I will want to rip my BDs with the highest level of fidelity possible (not sure if you can rip at variable bit rate exactly like the BD plays back at, but if not I would want to use the highest mbps possible. I want the playback from the Pi to look at much as possible as if you were actually watching the BD in a blu-ray player. Since that's the main intention, will the Pi work for this or should I look at another alternative to hook up a USB drive to, if so any suggestions?

I might have to get a USB keyboard then for setup.. then I can use my iPhone/iPad or my Panasonic TV has CEC. But what I would really like is to use my harmony remote since that's the only one I use for all my components besides the PS3, would the Harmony One work with the Pi, if so any IR adapter or anything extra needed?

Thx !

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #114 of 146 Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
sigma957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Thanks very much for your response, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this up, the info you provided is very helpful for me. From what you've said, I'm on the fence right now.. I'm willing to learn and I think that by reading the boards and asking questions, I might be ok (?) I believe that there might also be some 'instructions' manual on the net. But when you start talking about overclocking, you totally lost me there lol.

I might hook it up to my network, I have a router in my AV stand with a free port so that wouldn't be a problem at all. However, that's not a priority for me.. All I really want to do is rip my BDs on my PC, put them all on the 4TB USB external hard drive, hook it up to the Pi and watch the BDs on my system.. I'm not familiar (yet) with ripping BDs, but obviously I know all the info is out there and I will look it up, but my main concern besides actually setting up the Pi and the interface is your comment about the difficulty in 1080p playback for the Pi. I will want to rip my BDs with the highest level of fidelity possible (not sure if you can rip at variable bit rate exactly like the BD plays back at, but if not I would want to use the highest mbps possible. I want the playback from the Pi to look at much as possible as if you were actually watching the BD in a blu-ray player. Since that's the main intention, will the Pi work for this or should I look at another alternative to hook up a USB drive to, if so any suggestions?

I might have to get a USB keyboard then for setup.. then I can use my iPhone/iPad or my Panasonic TV has CEC. But what I would really like is to use my harmony remote since that's the only one I use for all my components besides the PS3, would the Harmony One work with the Pi, if so any IR adapter or anything extra needed?

Thx !
You've probably done a lot of reading already, but here is a good guide for setting up the R Pi. If it sounds too complicated, then you may want to re-consider. However, for the ~$50 it will cost to try, there's not that much to lose smile.gif.

http://www.gaducated.com/the-perfect-xbmc-setup-on-the-raspberry-pi/

Like I said above, you can connect a usb drive directly to the R Pi, but I think most people use some kind of NAS server instead and then connect to it over the network. A NAS costs quite a bit more, but it's expandable and you can use it with other media players.

I believe that XBMC works out of the box with certain usb IR receivers, but they cost about as much as the R Pi does in the first place, so most people use the options I mentioned above.

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
sigma957 is offline  
post #115 of 146 Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for linking that guide!

I've asked this before, but never been able to find a good answer. What happens when you try to play a file with TrueHD? I know with DTS-MA, it can just play the 'core' part, but with TrueHD, does it just default to the next available audio track or do you get silince or a crash?
ncarty97 is offline  
post #116 of 146 Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957 View Post

You've probably done a lot of reading already, but here is a good guide for setting up the R Pi. If it sounds too complicated, then you may want to re-consider. However, for the ~$50 it will cost to try, there's not that much to lose smile.gif.

http://www.gaducated.com/the-perfect-xbmc-setup-on-the-raspberry-pi/

Like I said above, you can connect a usb drive directly to the R Pi, but I think most people use some kind of NAS server instead and then connect to it over the network. A NAS costs quite a bit more, but it's expandable and you can use it with other media players.

I believe that XBMC works out of the box with certain usb IR receivers, but they cost about as much as the R Pi does in the first place, so most people use the options I mentioned above.

Thx very much for all your help, much appreciated.

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #117 of 146 Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Senior Member
 
sigma957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Thanks for linking that guide!

I've asked this before, but never been able to find a good answer. What happens when you try to play a file with TrueHD? I know with DTS-MA, it can just play the 'core' part, but with TrueHD, does it just default to the next available audio track or do you get silince or a crash?
XBMC is not able to extract the AC3 core from TrueHD tracks. Instead, it will decode it to PCM (which kills the cpu on a Raspberry Pi). If there is another audio track, I don't believe it will fall back to it unless that track is marked as "default".

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
sigma957 is offline  
post #118 of 146 Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quick question: With OpenELEC or RaspBMC do you need to buy the two codecs that the Raspberry Pi foundation sells online?
ncarty97 is offline  
post #119 of 146 Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Member
 
PobjoySpecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
...
PobjoySpecial is offline  
post #120 of 146 Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks!

I used that guide and got mostly setup. Having a slight stuttering on a high bit rate MKV (about every 30 seconds to a minute it briefly pauses), so need to work that out, but overall, pretty nice! I saw one suggestion to change from SMB to NFS. I really have no idea how that works though. Do I have to do anything on the server side?


I set up three of the buttons like the guide said. I'm interested in setting up fourth colored button to change the audio tract so when I play something with TrueHD I can just easily switch it. Does anyone know what the command is for 'Next Audio Tract' (if there is one)?

Also, anyone else have an issue with the time? It says its 1970 and I can't figure out how to update it.
ncarty97 is offline  
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off