Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

AudioNextLanguage

All the action commands are listed in the XBMC Keymap Wiki.

Thanks! I was looking for a keymap but didn't find it last night. That's perfect!
Quote:
Hmm. It should just work if you have it connected to the internet and set the time-zone under settings -> appearance -> international.

I saw some people having a similar issue despite internet connect, but the information seemed dated. I was on the OpenELEC forums and it said there was a place in settings that would tell you if your Pi was connected to the internet or not. I could not find it. It also said that you could fix the problem by putting some code in autostart.sh that forced it to update from the internet at boot each time, but I couldn't even find that file on my SD card (I both mounted the card and went in through the network via the file manager).
post #123 of 146 Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

I was on the OpenELEC forums and it said there was a place in settings that would tell you if your Pi was connected to the internet or not. I could not find it

Well, if you just go to the XBMC System menu, it should tell you there

System -> Hardware -> Network (I think Network is half way down). There is a internet connectivity line there that will either read "Connected" or "Not Connected"
post #124 of 146 Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I'll check that out.
post #125 of 146 Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Indeed, my internet is not working!

And I can't figure out how to make it work! I've assigned a manual IP address. Looking at another PC on my LAN, the Gateway and the DNS are both the 192.168.1.1 (the router obviously). I put that in for both and it still isn't connecting to the internet, though I have no problem getting to it via \\openelec, so it is connecting to the network fine.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the help everyone.
post #126 of 146 Old 05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed, my internet is not working!

And I can't figure out how to make it work! I've assigned a manual IP address. Looking at another PC on my LAN, the Gateway and the DNS are both the 192.168.1.1 (the router obviously). I put that in for both and it still isn't connecting to the internet, though I have no problem getting to it via \\openelec, so it is connecting to the network fine.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the help everyone.

Had the same problem with OE. I don't know why I assigned a static IP, but someone suggested it and it must have fixed something at some point

In practice, when both a router and a DHCP client are "told" to assign a static IP there are problems. (at least for me) I always try to leave clients set to "auto" and let the router keep track of the DHCP reservations. When I checked my router, I had in fact made a reservation for openelec, so I just went to the OpenELEC OS Settings Network page and used "defaults" to clear the static IP. (Couldn't find any way to "delete" with the remote, so I had to change my other settings back) After all that, it still took a reboot to get back online
post #127 of 146 Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the guide said to do it because it makes it easier to manage via Android, but not sure I'm going to do that anyway. Setting it back to auto seems to have fixed it!

Now I just need to figure out this slight stutter I am getting. Watching Brave, full BD MKV rip. Switching from the TrueHD to the DD+ makes it near perfect, but it still pauses real briefly about every half minute or so. Someone elsewhere suggested using NFS connections instead of SMB, but I'm really clueless on that. One thing I read though is that NFS doesn't work with FlexRAID, so that might make that a no go.
post #128 of 146 Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I just need to figure out this slight stutter I am getting. Watching Brave, full BD MKV rip. Switching from the TrueHD to the DD+ makes it near perfect, but it still pauses real briefly about every half minute or so. Someone elsewhere suggested using NFS connections instead of SMB, but I'm really clueless on that. One thing I read though is that NFS doesn't work with FlexRAID, so that might make that a no go.

I'm not sure FlexRAID gives a hoot, but I wasn't using it when I was using NFS rolleyes.gif Are you using WHS or a Linux server? If not, the hanewin and freenfs stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. Otherwise, cygwin might work, or even a VM running a linux server with local disks shared through VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox.

I had mad a lengthy post earlier today regarding the "common saying" of NFS being so much faster than Samba here

To summarize, if your samba share (windows to OpenELEC) is not password protected I'd venture to guess that it's within 2-3% of the speed you'd see in a NFS share. These are my guesses with a little poorly constructed test history of using both (at different times, from different platforms, and without verifying other issues-like drivers-were all equal)
post #129 of 146 Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

I'm using WHS2011 with FlexRAID. I set up an account for the Pi on there, which did have a password. I think WHS requires a password. I'll see if I can make it work without one. Also as a test, I'll copy the MKV to my desktop, which of course I could share without a password, and see if that fixes it. If it does, I guess I'll know the problem.
post #130 of 146 Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using WHS2011 with FlexRAID. I set up an account for the Pi on there, which did have a password. I think WHS requires a password. I'll see if I can make it work without one. Also as a test, I'll copy the MKV to my desktop, which of course I could share without a password, and see if that fixes it. If it does, I guess I'll know the problem.

I don't recall the steps to make WHS default sharing password free, I know the steps in W7/W8 but that wouldn't help. If you could, that would probably solve the issue.

For NFS . . .

If you are doing a mysql library sync for XBMC then this could bring headaches, but if you aren't and want to try NFS then it's pretty straightforward. Just right click your WHS shares, and select properties. In properties there should be a tab labeled "NFS Sharing" which you follow to the NFS Share Management dialog. If you trust your LAN then share with everyone (least security but should be best throughput). Now in XBMC on the PI you'll have to rebuild your library (might want to try just sharing a single video folder first - like the one that was stuttering), but when you go to add your video source choose NFS and you should see any shares you created. If you are inputting NFS shares manually they require a slightly different path
Code:
nfs://your.lan.ip/share/
rather than
Code:
\\your.lan.ip\share\
post #131 of 146 Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your help. I read about how you have to enable NFS in WHS2011 which seemed easy, but I saw on the flexraid forums that Windows NFS doesn't work on mounted shares, which FlexRAID is (I'm not even 100% sure what that means, but that's what it says).

I am not using a mysql library for XBMC. Right now, my other two machines run WMC with MediaBrowser. The Pi is the only XBMC device I have. I don't see any issue having no password on my lan for those shares. The few people that do use my wifi when they are over only use it for their phones or tablets. I'll give that all a try tonight. Thanks again for all your help!
post #132 of 146 Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just built an OpenElec Raspberry Pi build in about 20 minutes this past weekend. For the remote, the pi, the wifi adaptor, the case, etc, the USB drive, the whole thing ran about $150. I wish the UI were slightly snappier, but overall, it's a pretty great piece of value! I like!
post #133 of 146 Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Well, using SMB without a username or password seems to have fixed the problem in my test (copied the folder to my desktop then shared it). How do I remove sources from OpenELEC though? I want to remove all the ones that are using the password I set up, but I see no way to do it!
post #134 of 146 Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM

post #135 of 146 Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks!

Well, I enabled the Guest account on my WHS2011 for the videos folder and then created an SMB connection on the Pi with no username or password. It connected, but I'm still getting the same slight stutter. So either that doesn't do the same thing as sharing a foler from my desktop to 'everyone', or there is something in my network causing an issue (though this issue does not present on my HTPC or desktop, which are currently on the same switch as the Pi). Going to hook up the Pi to the same switch the WHS2011 uses and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then I guess I have a problem somewhere in my network.
post #136 of 146 Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 AM

post #137 of 146 Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have it overclocked to 900 (even moved it to 950 to see if that would solve it). The file played fine when I shared it from my desktop with no password required, it's just not playing fine off the WHS2011.
post #138 of 146 Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM

Liked: 17
post #139 of 146 Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

So do regular DVD menus work? I installed OpenELEC using the guide posted and I just got my mpeg-2 and vc-1 codec licenses installed. I then tried to fire up a couple of dvd's (ripped to folder, not iso). One opened (after quite a bit) and got me to the menu, but then I couldn't do anything at all. The other didn't open at all, just sat there.
post #140 of 146 Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've found the two rPi units that I have hooked up to TVs to work ok, but be frustratingly slow. My typical annoyance is waking them from "sleep" or whatever. I leave mine on all the time and when I turn the TV on, the screen is dimmed and a keypress will bring it back up, but it's generally a few minutes before everything seems to work again. There's generally a decent chunk of time, perhaps a minute, where it's completely unresponsive. Perhaps I could go through some settings to see if there's stuff that can be turned off.
post #141 of 146 Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Are you overclocking? I have mine at 900mhz and there is a slight delay to get it to brighten back up and be responsive, but no more than 5-10 seconds.
post #142 of 146 Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

I've found the two rPi units that I have hooked up to TVs to work ok, but be frustratingly slow. My typical annoyance is waking them from "sleep" or whatever. I leave mine on all the time and when I turn the TV on, the screen is dimmed and a keypress will bring it back up, but it's generally a few minutes before everything seems to work again. There's generally a decent chunk of time, perhaps a minute, where it's completely unresponsive. Perhaps I could go through some settings to see if there's stuff that can be turned off.

Are you using a MySQL library in XBMC? I found my resume from sleep time on OpenELEC was ridiculously slow using a MySQL windows server. The reason, I believe boiled down to a "minimal memory" MySQL installation. If so, re run your mysql setup on the server and choose one of the higher memory options
Quote:

So do regular DVD menus work? I installed OpenELEC using the guide posted and I just got my mpeg-2 and vc-1 codec licenses installed. I then tried to fire up a couple of dvd's (ripped to folder, not iso). One opened (after quite a bit) and got me to the menu, but then I couldn't do anything at all. The other didn't open at all, just sat there.

Thought from the feedback on menus in XBMC 12 that I'd be able to keep unencrypted isos in storage rather than mkv rips. In reality, menus are still so hit/miss that I just keep ripping everything to mkv
post #143 of 146 Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

Are you using a MySQL library in XBMC? I found my resume from sleep time on OpenELEC was ridiculously slow using a MySQL windows server. The reason, I believe boiled down to a "minimal memory" MySQL installation. If so, re run your mysql setup on the server and choose one of the higher memory options

Hmm, I am actually. I will have to check that when I get home. It's been a while since I installed it, I'll probably have to do some googling. So you're saying beef up the MySQL database/server setup? Worth a shot.

I'd actually get a lot more use out of mine if I could figure out an easy way to set up the menus to my liking. For instance, I have oodles of kids movies and it would be nice to just click "Kid's Movies" on the menu and not have to sort through all of our 600 or so rips and just get the kids ones. I haven't had much luck with Playlists getting it done. At one point I had it set up but I borked it and couldn't remember how I got it to work.
post #144 of 146 Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hmm, I am actually. I will have to check that when I get home. It's been a while since I installed it, I'll probably have to do some googling. So you're saying beef up the MySQL database/server setup? Worth a shot.
Yes. If you followed the XBMC wiki guide for setting it up, it would give you directions based on your OS. Those instructions could use a little updating. It says to download a copy of MySQL (without mentioning you have to register for a free account - as far as I can tell, I guess that might be nitpicking). Then during the install select "Standard configuration" (which was an option back in MySQL 4.1) but with a current MySQL intallation your options are
  • Developer machine
  • Server machine
  • Dedicated MySQL Server Machine
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-config-wizard-server-type.html

If you chose Dev machine, you'll probably have a long pause every time your Pi hops on the network. Same for openelec boxes. You'll have to decide what's best for reconfiguring, but it might be just to throw a server distro into a VM running the LAMP stack. You could also backup your library, delete the mysql installation and re-install, or find/edit the conf files to get more memory allocated to your installation. The server machine (middle option) got rid of this problem for me
Quote:

I'd actually get a lot more use out of mine if I could figure out an easy way to set up the menus to my liking. For instance, I have oodles of kids movies and it would be nice to just click "Kid's Movies" on the menu and not have to sort through all of our 600 or so rips and just get the kids ones. I haven't had much luck with Playlists getting it done. At one point I had it set up but I borked it and couldn't remember how I got it to work.

This one is not too difficult if you have the kids movies in a separate directory from your movies. If you have different genre directories, you could follow this guide pretty easily http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Custom_video_nodes which would work with Aeon Nox. I doubt Nox runs well on the Pi, so I might be sending you on a goose chase. You'd have to find a Pi friendly skin that supports custom video nodes as separate main menu items, but that's probably the best direction to go
post #145 of 146 Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My PI has been relegated to a NAS and MPD server as I recently picked up a Minix Neo G4 dual core android stick, picked it up on sale for $50 w/shipping about month ago...XBMC UI runs so much smoother, although there have been some teething problems with playing videos as GPU's default encoding is still a work in process, so most of the times you have to call an external player like mx player or the sticks default video player. Plus you get access to all the android apps like youtube, plexplayer, etc.

Today if I was debating between an Android stick or the PI as a mini-HTPC, I'd probably go with an Android stick.
post #146 of 146 Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 12
I have one of these running Xbian/Plex, and I just got the BenQ W1080ST projector.... What's the best way to do surround sound?
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page