Ubuntu DLNA server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my gf's parents have a Panasonic ST30 tv, I am looking to simplify things for them and thinking of setting up a DLNA server on their pc instead of playing movies straight from the pc. They are a little shaky on switching displays, sometimes the tv is on, sometimes it's off.

Any recommendations for a DLNA server that works with Panasonic, the PC is running Oneric 64 bit, it's a g620 processor with 8 gigs of memory. Video is Intel HD2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

my gf's parents have a Panasonic ST30 tv, I am looking to simplify things for them and thinking of setting up a DLNA server on their pc instead of playing movies straight from the pc. They are a little shaky on switching displays, sometimes the tv is on, sometimes it's off.

Any recommendations for a DLNA server that works with Panasonic, the PC is running Oneric 64 bit, it's a g620 processor with 8 gigs of memory. Video is Intel HD2000.

I've played with several DLNA servers for 20-30 minutes each... I've yet to find my perfect one. IMO, ideally it will
a) do transcoding on the fly, only a few do (so you aren't stuck with only the codecs supported by your endpoint device)
b) display media in a folder structure .. I'm not sure I've found a single one that doesn't merge all my video files in to one long list... (I'm assuming its the server side at fault, but I suppose it could be the client side.. but I have 2 different clients, both seeing the same thing)

The least imperfect one I've found so far (per my criteria) is the one from Logitech: http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download
post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

I've played with several DLNA servers for 20-30 minutes each... I've yet to find my perfect one. IMO, ideally it will
a) do transcoding on the fly, only a few do (so you aren't stuck with only the codecs supported by your endpoint device)
b) display media in a folder structure .. I'm not sure I've found a single one that doesn't merge all my video files in to one long list... (I'm assuming its the server side at fault, but I suppose it could be the client side.. but I have 2 different clients, both seeing the same thing)

The least imperfect one I've found so far (per my criteria) is the one from Logitech: http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

ty, I might give squeezebox a whirl...how is the management of media, is it easy to use?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 AM

I personally give a thumbs up to Serviio. Works very well for me. I used PS3 Mediaserver for years until just lately.

Kryspy
post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I hadn't gotten around to trying Serviio yet...

so I installed ffmpeg with apt-get, then downloaded the serviio pkg..

bin/serviio.sh
bin/serviio-console.sh

Added 2 folders of video.. and fired up my Sony Network Media player. It saw the server, AND there is a FOLDER view (nice!)... as the ultimate test, I tried to play a BluRay rip... hm.. not so much. Stutter stutter stutter (configured to use 2 cores for transcode, but top only showed 10% CPU usage). Couldn't connect to the server after that.. so I restarted it, and un-ticked the "best video quality" box on the transcoding tab, and tried again... still no dice.

So I went downstairs to GoogleTV, and no stutter.. video looks good...but I was getting the wrong audio track.. per a post I found in the serviio forums, it appears there is no way to pick which audio track you want.. so if you rip more than 1, and its not the default, tough cookies

So, is there any easy way to strip out the other audio tracks, or am I essentially looking at a full run thru Handbrake anyway?

From some quick googling, dlna may not support picking audio tracks, which is unfortunate.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can change the default audio track with mkvpropedit: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...vpropedit.html
post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysadmin View Post

You can change the default audio track with mkvpropedit: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...vpropedit.html

At this point I can only conclude that serviio doesn't obey the flags.. I've not only removed the default flag on the SPA track, I've also set its enabled bit to 0, and tried setting default flag on 2 other tracks. But all I get is the SPA track (track 4 I think). Dunno.. I can easily see all the tracks and pick from VLC.

Wah.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, that's weird. Guess you have no choice other than pulling out all of the other audio tracks. Still assuming that we're talking about mkv files, it should be relatively painless to do with the mkvmerge GUI. You could use mencoder in a script, too, for a whole bunch of files just copying the video and audio track that you want to keep over to the output file without re-encoding anything.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
FWIW, some recent commentary on DLNA-

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/02...or-windows-mac

Quote:
Doesn't DLNA pretty much obsolete that? DLNA seems to be built into all my devices (tv, xbox, squeezebox) and Windows by default now, and works just fine.

DLNA is not fine and does not work fine. It is a very broken, short-sighted media streaming protocol, lacking in any modern features, and should be replaced as soon as possible.

1) First of all, it streams the whole file, not only relevant portions of the file. For files with multiple streams in them this wastes network bandwidth, especially for files with lots of such streams. This also hampers DLNA-usage on mobile devices.

2) It does not support metadata. Metadata is only available if it's inside the file that is being streamed, and even then it's up to the client to handle metadata.

3) In relation to the above, it does not handle multiple-files-per-item situations.

4) It relies on clients to understand container formats, instead of the server itself reading the container and only sending the relevant streams inside it to clients -> lots of incompatibility issues.

Etc. etc. I've written a lengthy post before about the various shortcomings of DLNA and I am hoping it'll some day in the future be replaced. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page