Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...-on-linux.html

Quote:

Flash Player will continue to support browsers using non-Pepper plugin APIs on platforms other than Linux.

ARgh... I use Firefox, b/c its the only browser where xmarks bookmark sync permits using one's own private server (so I can sync my bookmarks without letting any marketers get their grubby hands on them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, they say:
Quote:

Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release.

So we can safely use 11.2 for another 5 years.

I will certainly NOT start to use Googles' spy browser because of Flash!

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/02...ux-chrome-only

Quote:
by IGnatius T Foobar (4328) on Wednesday February 22, @10:00AM (#39124679) Homepage Journal
From TFA:
As discussed in the just released Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes, Adobe has been working closely with Google to develop a single modern API for hosting plugins within the browser (one which could replace the current Netscape plugin API being used by the Flash Player). The PPAPI, code-named “Pepper” aims to provide a layer between the plugin and browser that abstracts away differences between browser and operating system implementations.

In a typical Slashdot display of sensationalism, the headline reads "Adobe makes flash on Linux Chrome-Only" but they've announced nothing of the sort. Adobe is switching Flash from the increasingly outdated and cumbersone Netscape plugin API to the new PPAPI (Pepper). There is nothing stopping Mozilla from implementing this API. And that's probably what's going to happen. I'd be surprised if there isn't already a team working on it.

...and within 2-3 years Flash will be largely replaced with HTML5/CSS/JS anyways.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

Well, they say:

So we can safely use 11.2 for another 5 years.

I will certainly NOT start to use Googles' spy browser because of Flash!

Why not use Chromium instead, if it will support PPAPI too
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mozilla is not interested in or working on Pepper at this time. See the Chrome Pepper pages.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI%3APepper
Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

"At this time" means today.

If they have no choice tomorrow, I think they will support "Pepper" if that's what it takes for Flash to remain usable on Firefox.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

RGB, you missed a crucial bit of info:

Quote:

For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plugin for Linux will only be available via the “Pepper” API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe.

Regardless whether Mozilla implements the “Pepper” API or not, new versions of the flash plugin won't be available for public download anymore so Chromium is out of the question as it's distributed only in source code form and while Mozilla distributes binaries too, I very much doubt they would incorporate a closed source blob into it, as this would go against their FOSS philosophy. (and even if Mozilla were to do that then we would all depend on the binaries provided by Mozilla rather than being able to get customized packages from our distro of choice).

The only option is sticking with 11.2, hoping that web sites won't start becoming incompatible with it when they start implementing new features from new releases.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I suspect flash will fall from grace just as fast as it rose; we can thank Apple for this. While flash has gotten better over time, always felt it was a resource hog! I'll be glad to see it go away! As for this Pepper API, I'm sure Linux guru's will figure out a way to access it.