Cheap 2nd HTPC-looking for a user interface that mirrors WMC w/o a windows 7 OS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking to build a bedroom HTPC that passes the "easy to use wife test". We currently use Windows Media Center in Windows 7 on our main hub HTPC for OTA HDTV, DVR, music, pics, etc. I am wanting to mirror this in our bedroom over the network. I want to build a small and cheap HTPC (without having to fork out another $100 for WMC/Win7). The bedroom HTPC will not hold any files but will be attached to the network so it can grab DVR recorded TV, etc. She is used to the WMC UI, so thought of a desktop remote access program like Splashtop, but they have no support for Linux. Thought of XBMC, but the UI is different, I think, especially when accessing recorded TV files off of the network? Does anyone have info on any solution that may work well for our purposes?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I don't know what WMCE looks like, but MythTV has a MythCenter theme that I think is suppose to look like it.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Themes
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Except if you use MythTV, you wouldn't go through the "Watch Recordings" menu item, you would go to "Media Library" and import the recording files from the WMC share. The metadata wouldn't be imported from WMC, just files. You may be able to grab metadata from thetvdb.com, if the files are named properly.

This is a long way of saying, no you won't get the same UI. If you want the same UI, seamless watching of recordings from any TV, you'll probably need to shell out the money for another copy of Windows. Or switch everything to MythTV.

Edit: does WMC even store recordings in a file format that can be used outside of WMC?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I don't know what WMCE looks like, but MythTV has a MythCenter theme that I think is suppose to look like it.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Themes

Already have win 7 WMC as my hub though, and pretty sure Myth TV doesn't play nicely with WMC...
post #5 of 6 Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross View Post

Except if you use MythTV, you wouldn't go through the "Watch Recordings" menu item, you would go to "Media Library" and import the recording files from the WMC share. The metadata wouldn't be imported from WMC, just files. You may be able to grab metadata from thetvdb.com, if the files are named properly.

This is a long way of saying, no you won't get the same UI. If you want the same UI, seamless watching of recordings from any TV, you'll probably need to shell out the money for another copy of Windows. Or switch everything to MythTV.

Edit: does WMC even store recordings in a file format that can be used outside of WMC?

thanks for the info and your thoughts. WMC stores the file as .wtv, which I don't think can be played very easily. I have played .wtv file in VLC, so maybe I can somehow use VLC in Linux... Only issue is the User Interface might not be too user friendly for the wife. Handbrake can also work with .wtv files now.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hate to say it, but the WAF probably requires you to use a media center extender, e.g.: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-DMA2100-.../dp/B000XQGOW4
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page