Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Mint 13 KDE Released
Quote:
Linux Mint Clement Lefebvre has announced the release of the "KDE" edition of Linux Mint 13: "The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 KDE. KDE is a vibrant, innovative, advanced, modern-looking and full-featured desktop environment. This edition features all the improvements from the latest Linux Mint release on top of KDE 4.8. The highlight of this edition is the latest KDE 4.8 desktop, which features the following improvements: Kwin optimizations; redesign of power management and integration with Activities; the first QtQuick-based Plasma widgets have entered the default installation of Plasma Desktop; new display engine in Dolphin; new Kate features and improvements; functional and visual improvements in Gwenview."

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2090

Whats new
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya_kde_whatsnew.php

Release notes

http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya_kde.php

32bit
http://linuxmint.bio.lmu.de//stable/13/linuxmint-13-kde-dvd-32bit.iso

64bit
http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/linuxmint//stable/13/linuxmint-13-kde-dvd-64bit.iso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Peppermint 3 released
Quote:
We are proud to announce the release of Peppermint OS Three in both 32 and 64 bit builds. This edition is based on Lubuntu 12.04 and, as always, uses some features from the ever awesome Linux Mint. Both builds are available as free downloads and will be available via purchasable live cd/usb in the very immediate future. Here’s a quick overview of some of the details associated with this release:
- The Chromium Stable repository is now enabled by default. This means no waiting on new versions as any updates will be immediately available as opposed to waiting on upstream maintainers to merge updates into the main repository.
- We’ve taken a different direction with the look and feel and have decided to go with a very light theme and default artwork. The new look was designed around the new default desktop background created by a very talented art student named Ilina from Bulgaria as well as Daniel Burke who contributed to the menu theme
- We’ll be shipping with fewer default web applications in the menu as we feel that we’d rather not clog everything up by default. Instead we’d rather the users select what they’d like. We’re still including some Google and Pixlr apps as well as some Peppermint related links.
- Peppermint Three is the first distribution to ship with GWoffice by default. This is a desktop Google Docs client that is lightweight and runs completely independent of Chromium. It’s still beta software, but we feel it offers a great improvement over using Docs from a browser or SSB.
- The GIMP 2.8 is in the Peppermint repository as opposed to version 2.6 that is available in the upstream releases. This version has been a long time coming and offers some improvements over the older iteration, notably a single window view.
- We’ve moved back to Linux Mint’s update manager over Ubuntu’s due to a handful of issues we had with it in Peppermint Two. We feel that Mint’s software is time tested to be stable and reliable and we’d like to pass as much of that on as possible with Peppermint.
There are a handful of minor things detailed in the release notes that you may want to be aware of. We certainly hope you enjoy it. Please give us feedback so that we can work to improve the release, and if you feel like it, we’re always accepting of a donation to the project. Enjoy.
Kendall Weaver

Download page
http://peppermintos.com/download/
post #93 of 104 Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I'm in way over my head over here.

We recently dumped FIOS for TV since we weren't using it much but still have phone and Internet (50/25) through them. We also had an old PC that belonged to my grandmother sitting around not being used. along with my wife's "dead" Inspiron 1525.

And so here I am. I'm a complete n00b at Linux, HTPCs, and the like but ever since rooting my Kindle Fire in May I've become way too interested in tinkering with this kind of stuff and I only know enough to be dangerous. Basically, I'm pretty good and searching for things on the internet and following directions, LOL.

I started out by resurrecting my wife's dead Dell laptop with an old SO for gOS and then switched it over to Debian from there. I couldn't figure out how to do anything in Debian so now I have it running Ubuntu 12.04 Precise and I've found that to be much more user friendly. I think I'm a convert.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to run XBMC Eden on it to my TV via HDMI but all I get is a really screwed up image of the desktop when I hook it up. I haven't yet tried booting it up hooked up yet. I have a VGA>HDMI cable that I can also try as well.

Even if I get that working I have no idea what to expect as I'm not sure that laptop can run XBMC given it's integrated graphics.

Which leads me to my grandmother's old PC. It's a Compaq Presario P4 (3ghz) w/ 512 MB of RAM (can go up to 2GB). It was so bogged down with garbage that it would barely start. I think she had 8 toolbars in IE and half a dozen spyware detection programs and other assorted bloatware. I wiped it down and now it's only running OpenELEC. Boots up in about 15-20 seconds as opposed to 10+ minutes when I got it.

I've been toying with the idea of putting a GT 430 in it and going to 2 GB of RAM if the laptop doesn't work well. Any chance that either of these options works even moderately well?

Sorry for the ramble. Not sure where to start.

New - Samsung 51F5300B / Old - Hitachi 42HDS69 w/ firmware v120
post #94 of 104 Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What type of graphics slot does the P4 have? Most mobos of that age had AGP slots, and you won't find an nVidia AGP card that can do VDPAU. But, there are some PCI cards (not PCI-express) that can do it.
post #95 of 104 Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 PM

I'll have to check. I'm not really sure. What are the different kinds?

post #96 of 104 Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBadger View Post

I'll have to check. I'm not really sure. What are the different kinds?

Here is the PC:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/compaq-presario-sr1350nx-p4/4507-3118_7-31273994.html

And found this:

Graphics on the 1350NX are somewhat disappointing. The system uses the integrated Intel GMA 900 graphics adapter that is suitable for most standard uses but not well suited for PC gaming. It also does not include an AGP or PCIe expansion slot. This restricts the user to only using the integrated solution.

post #97 of 104 Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

post #98 of 104 Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM

Yeah, probably not. What about the laptop? Any options for making that be able to play HD content via XBMC?

post #99 of 104 Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, probably not. What about the laptop? Any options for making that be able to play HD content via XBMC?
I doubt it., but according to this it has a HDMI output, so there is hope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron_1525

EDIT: Here's more info on the LInux driver for the laptop. You may ned to create a custom xorg.conf file to get it to to things that aren't default.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Media_Accelerator_X3100
post #100 of 104 Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 AM

From what I can tell I should already have the drivers and I can get the TV to pick up the signal from the laptop via the HDMI cable but the screen is skewed badly. Also as if it's two images of the desktop on top of each other and at an odd angle.

It also reads the HDMI connection as DVI-5 rather than HDMI-5 like when I'm using for an Xbox 360. Can't get any kind of video to play and I've tried two different HDMI cables.

post #101 of 104 Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I can tell I should already have the drivers and I can get the TV to pick up the signal from the laptop via the HDMI cable but the screen is skewed badly. Also as if it's two images of the desktop on top of each other and at an odd angle.
It also reads the HDMI connection as DVI-5 rather than HDMI-5 like when I'm using for an Xbox 360. Can't get any kind of video to play and I've tried two different HDMI cables.
Like I said, you may need to create a custom xorg.conf file.

Read the man pages for the Intel driver. In a terminal type:
Code:
man intel
Here is a snippet that I see towards the beginning:
Quote:
TMDS-1
First DVI SDVO output

TMDS-2
Second DVI SDVO output

TMDS-1 , TMDS-2 , HDMI-1 , HDMI-2
DVI/HDMI outputs. Avaliable common properties include:

BROADCAST_RGB - method used to set RGB color range(full range 0-255, not full range 16-235)

Adjusting this propertie allows you to set RGB color range on each channel in order to match HDTV requirment(default 0
for full range). Setting 1 means RGB color range is 16-235, 0 means RGB color range is 0-255 on each channel.

SDVO and DVO TV outputs are not supported by the driver at this time.

See xorg.conf(5) for information on associating Monitor sections with these outputs for configuration. Associating Moni‐
tor sections with each output can be helpful if you need to ignore a specific output, for example, or statically config‐
ure an extended desktop monitor layout.
As it says, also read the xorg.conf man pages. You might have better luck if you Google for some examples of a working xorg.conf file that is using HDMI with the Intel driver.

EDIT: Check out this thread from the Arch Linux forums:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130734
post #102 of 104 Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the output of this command?
Code:
xrandr -q
post #103 of 104 Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM

I'll have to run that tonight. I tried just xrandr and it did show the TV connection with some pretty odd resolutions but I didn't know how to change them.

Also, I looked the x.conf file on the laptop and it wouldn't allow me to view it or edit it.

post #104 of 104 Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The file that I am referring to is named xorg.conf. You should be able to open it to see it, but you can't edit it and save the changes without root privileges. It would be found here:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Newer versions of Linux don't usually even have this file, any more. If you install nVidia drivers, it will create one. You can also have Linux create one, using whatever the current settings are. You first need to stop the Unity desktop. Follow these instructions to do that:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/73767/how-to-stop-the-unity-desktop

Then, in that same terminal, type in this command:
Code:
sudo Xorg -configure
This will create a file in your home folder named xorg.conf.new. It will still be owned by root, but you can change that with another command. Use your login name where I have written "name":
Code:
sudo chown name:name xorg.conf.new
This will give you a file that you can tinker with, and then try it out. To do that you would need to copy it to the /etc/X11 folder. If you have a working xorg.conf file in that folder, make a backup of it first:
Code:
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
Then copy the new file from your home directory:
Code:
sudo cp ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Now, when the desktop doesn't come up at boot (that WILL happen, believe me), use the terminal to restore the old file:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then:
Code:
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Anytime you change the xorg.conf file, you have to reboot for the changes to take effect. By terminal use this command:
Code:
sudo reboot

I know, lots of commands for a newbie. But if you want to tinker with the xorg.conf file, it is a must. Another good thing to know is how to use a terminal text editor. I use Vi (Vim), but many use Nano. You will have to learn one, as they are not very intuitive. This way you can edit the file without first booting into the Unity Graphical Desktop.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page