I'm looking for a IR blaster to be able to control all my A/V gear from a computer. Gear I want to control:
* 2-3 identical STB's for recording with MythTV
* 2 TV screens (one is Samsung and the other will be too when replaced)
* BluRay player
* air conditioner (only non A/V thing)
Since I actually want to control this stuff from a computer (command line, web, mobile app, etc.) I can't just use an IR repeater. Although there can be a place for repeaters in this setup too....IR blaster
So I need a blaster that is able to send different signals to different devices. Ideal solution would be an USB IR blaster box with 8 outputs. I haven't found one that doesn't cost a fortune. The most promising and well known is CommandIR
. The problem is that they don't list options of selling it outside USA&Canada and they don't answer e-mails and no one else is not reselling it. Has someone dealt with them recently? Do they still operate?
Another one that I've found is Global Cache IP2IR iTach Wired TCP/IP to IR
, but its description is very confusing:
* 3 Independent selectable IR outputs or sensor inputs
* 3 IR emitters included
* 1 IR blaster included (supported on 3rd IR port)
I cant figure out if I can only control (i call it "blasting") one device or 3?
Then there is Xantech that offers more "enterprise" like IR systems. But they are costly and haven't found a generic PC (Linux) controllable device.
Any other suggestions?IR repeater
There are a lot of repeaters on the market as this is something that 98% of customers need to hide their gear out of sight. It seems like it is not very realistic to find an affordable 8 port IR blaster so I might have to combine a blaster with couple of repeaters.
The setup would look something like this:
Here's a list of some repeaters I've found:
* Cables to Go Impact Acoustics 40430
- 4-12 outputs - 44$
* Sewell Infrared (IR) Remote Control Repeater Kit
- 8-12 outputs - 43$
* Sewell IR Repeater Kit, 4 Dual Emitters
- cheapest, but reviews not good @amazon - 16$
* Unknow manufacturer
- 8 outputs - sold widely on eBay and feedback is not bad - 39$
* Hot Link Pro X12
- up to 12 ourputs. 150$