AVS Forum banner

Mythbuntu and Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  WLPARKER 
#1 ·
I purchased the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 2 years ago to set up a Mythbuntu box. At the time I was unable to get it working at all. It simply would not recognize the card. After hours and hours of research, I admitted defeat and gave up.

Flash forward to yesterday. I downloaded the newest version of Mythbuntu, 12.04, thinking that the newest version would have all the bugs worked out.

Same issues as before. Has anyone else used this card before?

#3 ·
If you run the command lspci from the terminal you should see all your PCI devices. This doesn't mean they are working, just that the O/S knows they are connected to the system. I'm not familiar with your particular card but if it is not automatically recognized in MythTV, you may need to manually install a driver for it.

According to the link below, no additional drivers are needed.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards

#4 ·
Thanks for the info, but embarrassingly I figured out what the problem was. I assumed that mythtv had configured itself automatically. So I went in and configured everything and it works now!

My next question is how to disable transcoding? I am using the box just to record OTA channels, and I have a 750 gig hdd. So I'd rather have the best quality and have it eat up a lot of space.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcramdon  /t/1420342/mythbuntu-and-hauppauge-wintv-hvr-1250#post_22224489

don't worry -- I just bought this POS HVR1250 card myself and it will crash my windows 7 installation -- and I mean I've been forced to do a complete reinstall of windows 3 times and still nothing.

thanks happaugue -- you sell crap.
Maybe you should try Mythbuntu then, it seems to work fine under Linux using Mythbuntu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.