Will these components work Linux HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2012, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just ordered the parts for my HTPC and ended up with

Antec ISK 310-150 (this will not be affected by Linux ofc smile.gif)
ASRock A75M-ITX
AMD A6-3500
Samsung SSD 830 128GB
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10JPVT 8MB 1TB

I'm going to play music,movies and stream media from the web and would like to run Linux Mint or Ubuntu.
Will any of my choice of components cause problems with linux or am I good to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Linux doesn't do well with some cutting edge hardware and/or AMD graphics. A Google search turned up a relevant thread, read through it and the links in it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1916325
Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 46
An Intel build would have been the better choice as their drivers and hardware are the best for HTPC if you want a solid setup. AMD's graphics simply don't cut it on Linux right now. I would cancel your order and make a new one if it hasn't shipped yet.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

An Intel build would have been the better choice as their drivers and hardware are the best for HTPC if you want a solid setup. AMD's graphics simply don't cut it on Linux right now. I would cancel your order and make a new one if it hasn't shipped yet.

They have shipped, but i think im able to return it and change to an Intel setup. However i thought that AMD was superior in the graphics department (when it comes to integrated graphics).
Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

-
Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanner View Post

They have shipped, but i think im able to return it and change to an Intel setup. However i thought that AMD was superior in the graphics department (when it comes to integrated graphics).

From a technical standpoint, you are correct. However, AMD graphics hardware on Linux is just not great. Most would tell you it's downright awful because AMD just can't get their act together and put out some solid drivers for their latest cards. Intel on the other hand, really wants you to buy and use their hardware on Linux so they have been committing serious resources to bringing their latest graphics hardware to your desktop and they do offer the best experience for an HTPC on Linux if you want something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and also has a small footprint. Since your are just using the computer as an HTPC, Intel all the way is really your only option as using an Nvidia graphics card would be overkill for HTPC on Linux, though their cards work exceptionally well for HTPC due to their long history VDPAU support.