cisco/linksys AE1000 wifi adapter with Openelec - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't check the compatibility list before purchasing this adapter and before exchanging it I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to get this adapter installed with Openelec. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can help you with this. It does involve altering the driver source and compiling it. I don't know your level of experience, so I'll try to be detailed but simple.

You will need to install your kernel source (and kernel headers?), and the gcc compiler. For Ubuntu this can be done with this command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
You now need to download the Linux driver and firmware from Ralink.

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=501

You want the RT3572USB driver, and the RT28x/RT30xx firmware. They should come in a compressed file format, so I unpack them by right-clicking and selecting "Extract Here".

You now have to add the USB ID of your device to the driver. This can be found by running this command:
Code:
lsusb
I'm not sure how it will identify it on your system. But if you run lsusb before you insert the stick, and then again after you insert it, it will be the new entry. You want the eight character ID, which is divided by a semicolon. Mine says this:
Code:
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 13b1:002f Linksys AE1000 v1 802.11n [Ralink RT2870]
So 13b1:002f is how my wireless chip is identified in Linux.

In the folder that has the driver source files, open this file in a text editor like gedit:

/common/rtusb_dev_id.c

As you scroll down the page you will see all of the supported devices, and their USB IDs. I added mine under the RT35xx section, after the Ralink 3572 entry:
Code:
#ifdef RT35xx
        {USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x3572)}, /* Ralink 3572 */
        {USB_DEVICE(0x13B1,0x002F)}, /* Linksys AE 1000 */
The best way to do this, without accidentally inserting unwanted page formatting, is to copy an entire line, insert it, and then change the line with your device's information.

When done save the file, and compile it. For this follow the instructions in the driver's README file. You want to set the option to "control by NetworkManager". Then do the make and sudo make install commands. To install the firmware, just copy the rt2870.bin file to the /lib/firmware folder. You need root permissions for that.

Any place you get stuck at, just give a holler.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I never heard of the OpenElec distro. If you are a newbie, I would suggest using a more popular distro like Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page