ffmpeg profiles for version 0.11.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First a bit of a vent:
WHY does the ffmpeg developer community assume you have been using ffmpeg forever and have installed / updated so your old profiles with deprecated options (every new version changes something) are replaced??? If I install ffmpeg from source (as is required by my CMS / streaming software, no git, no static - source only) I end up missing 95 percent of the profiles with no info on what version I can go grab profiles from that will still work. Also finding documentation on all the various options and the new syntax of the moment is freaking impossible to find. Huge PITA.

It would be really nice if "they" would include the basic set of presets w/ updated syntax where needed even if it means replacing an older file with an identical new one. A readme that lists all the syntax changes and options would be really cool also. One can dream.....

Thanks...

My current issue is trying to create new profiles for transcoding MP4 source files. I need to transcode the source files to iphone compatible and apple tv compatible versions. The quickest and best quality option is to use the mpeg4 codec, copy audio and video for acodec and vcodec and just resize the video to the closest aspect ratio. (480 for iPhone and 720 for appletv works, so does 1080x640 and 1080x720 for that matter. iPhone will work with everything from 320 to 720 depending on which one you have and who knows what the newest display size should be using other than it can finally suport a true 16:9 aspect ration apparently. (Which is why the preset should only define Height in order to support the various older screens and also fit well on the Android mobiles).

The old syntax for a preset that worked fine in the past was to use "s=1080x640". Of course, this option no longer works.

As far as I can tell, it looks like the way to go is to use the "scale" option but I can't find an example of how to put this in a preset, only in cli. Would it be:

scale=-1:480 / scale=-1:720
or
scale=1:480 / scale=1:720
?

Or should it be something else completely?

Of course, if there's a better compromise aspect ratio / dimension setting that will give the best results on all the iPhones, Android devices, iPads, etc I'm interested in hearing it.

Currently we're using the 720 MP4 format as our iPad / AppleTV / Other Set Top / Web Browser (Desktop) compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes the documentation of ffmpeg is poor. And you are correct about there not being a good changelog for new releases.

I haven't used ffmpeg for maybe a year. Two days ago I wanted to transcode a TV show that had black borders. I found that there was the -croptop, -cropbottom, -cropleft & -cropright options, but that they were removed from newer versions of ffmpeg. I have Fedora 16, and ffmpeg is installed from repositories, and those options ARE included in my version. Or that is what the documentation says. I haven't actually tried it, yet.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0shell View Post

First a bit of a vent:
WHY does the ffmpeg developer community assume you have been using ffmpeg forever and have installed / updated so your old profiles with deprecated options (every new version changes something) are replaced??? If I install ffmpeg from source (as is required by my CMS / streaming software, no git, no static - source only) I end up missing 95 percent of the profiles with no info on what version I can go grab profiles from that will still work. Also finding documentation on all the various options and the new syntax of the moment is freaking impossible to find. Huge PITA.
It would be really nice if "they" would include the basic set of presets w/ updated syntax where needed even if it means replacing an older file with an identical new one. A readme that lists all the syntax changes and options would be really cool also. One can dream.....
In the spirit of The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show: "Be with us next time for 'You get what you pay for' or 'Volunteer to make those commits for them' "
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page