IR suggestions for two HTPCs in a single room, one XBMC/LInux one MCE/Windows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been running a Windows based HTPC for years. For various reasons I want to add a second HTPC that is Linux based to run XBMC. My intent is MCE for the PVR and XBMC/Linux for everything else. All IR receivers I have found are RC6 so the drivers recognize them as an MCE receiver and are setup for the Windows MCE IR codes. Two RC6 IR receivers would lead to both HTPCs accepting the same IR codes for the same actions. This will cause me troubles. Are there alternatives to RC6 receivers, or other HTPC like devices that can be emulated that are not MCE?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers!

Apologies for the cross post. I wasn't sure where best to stick this.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433854/ir-suggestions-for-two-htpcs-in-a-single-room-one-xbmc-linux-one-mce-windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think you can setup one of the machines to respond to different codes than the other ones. With LIRC you could configure the receiver to accept codes from a different remote than an MCE remote, like snapstream or other remote codes. That might do what you want, if you have a different remote you can use (or a universal and/or learning remote).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

I think you can setup one of the machines to respond to different codes than the other ones. With LIRC you could configure the receiver to accept codes from a different remote than an MCE remote, like snapstream or other remote codes. That might do what you want, if you have a different remote you can use (or a universal and/or learning remote).

That's what I'm thinking but I'm hoping there is an easy way to do it in XBMC. Before I had an RC6 receiver I had to make up IR codes to work with BeyondMedia (LONG time ago). That just sucked and took a lot of effort. I will check out the XBMC threads and see if someone has a good solution for this already.

Cheers,
Scott
post #4 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good luck. I use a combination of remote codes (snapstream and mce) for my mythtv installations, but for XBMC I only use MCE.

If you had a snapstream remote remote you could setup one like this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Snapstream_Firefly

Many here can help you configure LIRC however you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hah. I used to have a Firefly.

The problem I am finding is that nearly every remote talked about for XBMC emulates the MCE remote, so that won't work for me. I think I will use a TiVo remote codes or something just so I have an IR codeset already made that I can easily just add as a new device to my Harmony. Then someone else should already have done the mappings to XBMC for that remote and I'll call it a day. At least on paper that sounds like a good idea.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page