1st Htpc. Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm new here. Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I'm planning my first true Htpc build. It's going to be a machine running xubuntu 12.04. I plan on getting a ceton infinitv 4 (pci-e). From what I've been told on a few other forums, the Ceton card isn't going to work well with xubuntu. My main question is, if that's true, will the card work fine from a windows VM?

Thanks,
-RYknow

Edit: looking around on this forum, I saw the hdhomerun prime listed. Is this a better option then the Ceton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Bueller...

Bueller...

Bueller...?

Think after reading some more here, I'm leaning towards the hdhomerun prime. Should be a smooth setup with my Linux machines?

Thanks,
-RYknow
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RYknow View Post

Bueller...

Bueller...

Bueller...?

Think after reading some more here, I'm leaning towards the hdhomerun prime. Should be a smooth setup with my Linux machines?

Thanks,
-RYknow

The standard HDHomerun works fine with linux. I don't have the prime, so I can't comment. There some things that the prime is allowed to do on windows that it is not allowed to do on Linux.

Assuming you are planning to use MythTV, consider using more than one physical disk drive in your system, and keep the database on a separate spindle from the recordings. Database accesses can swamp the drive to the point that data is lost on the recordings.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to use mythbutu at this point. I am planning to use a drive for the os and a 2tb drive for the recordings and what not. When you say to make sure the database and recordings are on separate platter's, I just do that by creating separate partitions (say 500gb and 1.5tb?)?

Also, could you elaborate on what the prime can't do on Linux that it can do in windows?

Thanks,
-RYknow
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My recommendation for mythbuntu is this.

• Small SSD for OS and /home suggest 64G
  • Large disk designed for low power. i.e. 5400 rpm is fine. It's also quiet. suggest 2T
  • You can put the DB and MythTV Storage on the same drive, However use different file systems. They do not need to be separate drives.
  • I would handle it this way. Create a 30 G on the large disk or so partition and use it for /var. This will put all your constantly changing files onto the mechanical drive and not on the SSD. You might consider formatting it as reiserfs
  • Use a symbolic link(s) to put the mysql DB on /var
  • Create a large XFS partition for all the video directories. The MythTV wiki will give the details of that.
  • I've been using this configuration with no issues at all. My system has 6 physical tuners and 3 frontends and there is no trouble with disk IO
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Put the data base on a separate spindle, not just a separate partition. Separate spindles can be accessed in parallel. Writing to one will not prevent access to the other. The problem I encountered was that the database was thrashing the disk so much with small reads & writes that it held off writing the video stream so long (minutes) that the buffer overflowed and data was lost.
Putting the database on a separate partition of the same disk is worse than on the same partition as the heads are forced to move to a different radius for the different partitions, and moving the head takes time. If you plan to put the database on the same disk as the recordings, put them both on the same partition.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 41
There was a bug in mythfilldatabase which was causing the thrashing. It's been fixed and/or there is an option to put the temporary files for it in ram.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page