linux HTPC "receiver" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to avoid "control hell" on my new build, so i want to do video input selection on the computer.

Is there good solutions for HDMI/Composite multi input for linux?

I will probably need One composite in for the Wii and another HDMI in for hooking up things on-the-fly as I do with the receiver front port occasionally.

I will try to have all sources directly on the box (dvd/blue-ray/pandora/bluetooth/hdtv/torrents/fm) but i know i will miss at least one port eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
No such solutions exist. The only solution is a PC-friendly HDTV with the appropriate A/V connections for your sources.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This sounds like something any universal remote should be able to handle. If you wanted to get crazy with it, you could probably cook something up with a pulse-eight CEC adapter
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You do not want to run video sources *into* a HTPC. You would be adding massive complication and points of failure. Plus, getting the switching and video processing right for each source (i.e. deinterlacing/tearing issues from analog composite sources, etc) just adds to complexity and instability.

Get an HDTV with lots of inputs and route each source directly. Curiously, "no name" brands like Sceptre, Element and others usually have far more inputs than the name brands- look at the walmart.com's or target.com's of the world (they sell more models on the websites than in their stores). These models may have 4x HDMI, PC VGA plus 2 or 3 composite, Svideo and component inputs.

Otherwise you'll need a recent vintage receiver (only $250-$300 for a Pioneer or similar) or exteranl video switcher.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only solution is a PC-friendly HDTV with the appropriate A/V connections for your sources.

that's exactly what i'm looking for... what would be the best hardware that works with linux that allows me to have those connections? i found a couple, but zero info on how it would play with linux.

Quote:
universal remote
And you guys are all ignoring the benefits. with sources going into the htpc, i can record. and i can use much better controls than a IR remote. Also, if I limit myself to using a receiver, a receiver is the least future proof equipment there is. need a new video or audio codec? that will be another $500. Need a new port, another $500. ...with the HTPC the beauty is that you can add complex hardwared stuff on the go, and for codec, it's trivial.

an example why a universal remote is not a solution: my wife only listen to pandora. ONLY! ok, we got a receiver with ipod port even so it was easier for her... but you can't control the pandora app with a remote. now she wanted a bluetooth add on or a bluetooth enabled receiver... but then a friend told her that the battery on the phone dies too fast that way, then she found out some receivers have pandora... (besides the extra $500 point above smile.gif then next week she's into grooveshark... or she hears about a receiver that has bluetooth4 that solves the power issue... with the HTPC all that is trivial. a one line script would enable her to vote/skip musics on whatever service using whatever remote control. also $15 usb dongle would give any new bluetooth version, etc...

but now i'm just rambling smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm using a Panasonic plasma tv running an hdmi cable to the tv with no problems. I still use a receiver for audio as I'm not real fond of the tv's speakers for music or movies. I use a separate digital audio cable for that. As far as i know any tv with the necessary inputs will work since all you are doing is using it as a big monitor. Just out of curiosity what are you using now?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

right now i'm using a panasonic tv with a panasonic cheap hometheater receiver. they both use vieralink pre-incarnation of CEC. the receiver is pure crap, i hook up everything (computer, wii) on the TV and on the tv configure it to send audio to the hometheater via hdmi.

everything works with the receiver remote alone + wiimote (as i mostly watched netflix, but canceled it as it has no movies. at all.)
post #8 of 9 Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbavs View Post

right now i'm using a panasonic tv with a panasonic cheap hometheater receiver. they both use vieralink pre-incarnation of CEC. the receiver is pure crap, i hook up everything (computer, wii) on the TV and on the tv configure it to send audio to the hometheater via hdmi.
everything works with the receiver remote alone + wiimote (as i mostly watched netflix, but canceled it as it has no movies. at all.)
Using the TV as the main input is usually the best option. I have a Pioneer receiver with HDMI ports and "control over HDMI" (CEC?). Everything is plugged into the receiver. When I change the source on one, the other switches. This is OK, except for the times I want the video from the TV, but the audio from another source, like the tuner. I used to watch the Green Bay Packer games with the sound down, and the audio from the radio broadcast, as an example. Can't easily do that now.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbavs View Post

And you guys are all ignoring the benefits. with sources going into the htpc, i can record. and i can use much better controls than a IR remote. Also, if I limit myself to using a receiver, a receiver is the least future proof equipment there is. need a new video or audio codec? that will be another $500. Need a new port, another $500. ...with the HTPC the beauty is that you can add complex hardwared stuff on the go, and for codec, it's trivial.

Save yourself many months of grief and go get a Harmony One. The path you are talking about is the path of designing your own control UI. Doing that from scratch and trying to shoehorn it into your existing remotes is not trivial with a system that is going to be a moving target like you describe. Don't rely on HDMI-CEC for controlling future additions.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page