More backlight bleed since I've been using TV as monitor - mitigation strategies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This might be a post for the Display forums but since many in this forum probably have their displays doing double duty of some sort, I figured I'd ask it here.

Last night I noticed a bit of backlight bleed along the side edges of my Vizio LCD TV. I've been using the TV as a desktop monitor now for a couple of months.

The TV gets heavy use with or without its use as a monitor so maybe this was bound to happen anyway. However, I do think that the use as monitor has something to do with it since I'll typically browse the Web, use email, etc. and the screen stays fairly static when I do this. Or (maybe worse) I work at home sometimes in which case the monitor can be active for eight hours at a time.

I'm aware of contrast/backlight adjustment tactics, have also tried tapping the screen; nothing is working. Fortunately the problem isn't that bad right now but I suspect it will get worse.

Has anyone else had this issue and how do you mitigate it? Are there any display technologies that would be less susceptible to this problem (or others)? The TV itself was relatively cheap; would a "better" TV not have this issue?

Should I just go out and buy that Chromebook and use that for remote desktop, Web, email, then plug it into the display when I want to watch something on MUBI? Then I would be saving the TV for TV-style displays only. If that keeps me from having to buy a new TV in a year or so, I'll consider it money well spent since I'd like to have a portable Chrome/Linux device anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 AM

Liked: 17
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sounds like a problem either being a cheap TV or a defect. Although I heard Vizio TV's are a decent brand. I have countless LCD's in the house and see no problems with bleed through. If the TV is only a few months old, I would suggest pursuing the problem under warranty. It shouldn't matter whether the TV is used for video or connected to a computer, the problem should not be happening.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
TV's have overscan and are 16:9 whereas PC monitors don't have overscan and are 16:10. Just on a chance, you might try changing the settings on your TV to adjust for this to see if it helps. (i.e. flip the setting that changes overscan from on to off.)
post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm seeing the backlight bleed on every image on the TV no matter what the source -- it seems to get worse after I RDP into work for a couple of hours.

It's probably time to think about that Chromebook so I can use the Chromebook's monitor for my other computer activity, then hook it up to the TV when I want to watch Mubi.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page