Ubuntu Media Server - Need help piecing one together - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old file/media server is a bit old and I'm pushing the limits on what it can do. I need to build a new one, but other than the server I pieced together with old parts, I have no server experience.

I'm looking to build a server with 20TB of storage, RAID 5(or 6) in case of a drive failure. I'll be running a Plex server with 5 remote clients, a few game servers, and it'll hold my sql database for my XBMC library.

Obviously I'd like it to be power efficient and as inexpensive as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 04:37 PM

Liked: 17
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/ipmi/ipmi-home.html

I have never used an IPMI motherboard (at least that I was aware of )- still more to learn no matter how long you've been doing this wink.gif

I think the norm on these forums is to use low cost consumer grade motherboards. It appears the IPMI feature may be relegated to higher priced commercial-grade boards, but feel free to prove me wrong.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM

Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wouldn't put my file server in my attic. It gets pretty hot up there in the summer (>100 F), and cold in the winter (<-10 F). I keep mine in the basement.

I also don't see the need for high priced equipment for it. I have been using a Compaq Presario 5000, 1GHz AMD Athlon CPU, that I got out of a recycle bin. I put the latest version of Fedora on it, which was Fedora 8 (1997), and it has run fine ever since. I did just replace it. I had an Atom/ION HTPC that I stopped using because Atom CPU's can't play flash video, and my HTPC must be able to play flash. I finished setting it up about a week ago, and the Presario is now turned off.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I wouldn't put my file server in my attic. It gets pretty hot up there in the summer (>100 F), and cold in the winter (<-10 F). I keep mine in the basement.

I also don't see the need for high priced equipment for it. I have been using a Compaq Presario 5000, 1GHz AMD Athlon CPU, that I got out of a recycle bin. I put the latest version of Fedora on it, which was Fedora 8 (1997), and it has run fine ever since. I did just replace it. I had an Atom/ION HTPC that I stopped using because Atom CPU's can't play flash video, and my HTPC must be able to play flash. I finished setting it up about a week ago, and the Presario is now turned off.

Agreed re: attic temp issue. Unless one's attic is temp controlled, I would not recommend putting any PC there. True "attics" in MI can get to 120F+ in summer and ambient temps in subzero winter for weeks. Unless something else is meant by "attic" in the post earlier.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 PM

Did I order you to put it in the attic? Is that where I said everyone should put it? Is that the only place it could possibly be? No, I said this is where I put mine. Do you think I don't know that attics elsewhere get hot? Are people nitwits who can't think for themselves and will put a delicate electronic device in a 130° attic? Of all the higher concepts I put myself out here with, you decide to not just pick on something, but the stupidest thing?

This is the most unrewarding forum to post in. And yes, waterhead has always had some kind of problem with me that I don't understand but which I am not putting up with. None of you ever acknowledge when you've learned something (except Rgb for the first time above), and I hardly ever get feedback on what worked or what happened or even a thumbs-up. I never learn anything here. This sucks.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

You're right it does get hot. Last week it got up to 77 here -- I was sweating...

In the attic it probably reached 85. But remember that a quality mobo has temp monitoring and alarms, not to mention a quality drive cage.

And you didn't understand what I was saying about cost, WH.

Today the high temperature at the weather station near me was 91 degrees F. An attic is easily 20 degrees F above that, maybe more. I can't comment on where others live, just on my experience.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

quantumstate- Don't take our posts/replies personally wink.gif

I was just going to say how technically advanced your server/backup arrangement appears, a testament to your skill.

Your contributions have been an asset in these forums.

As far as this thread goes, WH and I just wanted to prevent HTPC noobs from placing their PC in potentially harmful places- of course everyone's local climate varies. As Seatlle is temperate most of the time, I could see why attics might make a good spot there. But for the Midwest/Southwest/South folks, a heads up was in order.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

quantumstate- Don't take our posts/replies personally wink.gif

Too late. Looks like he/she took his/her ball and went home

Every post in every thread I saw replaced with . . . ? Also time-stamped in a manner that would indicate that the knowledge-exodus began at the top of the forum and went somewhere further than I cared to look. I didn't really get to see the conversation here, but it must have gotten heated (like my attic yesterday when the outside temp peaked at 95F)
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

... I didn't really get to see the conversation here, but it must have gotten heated (like my attic yesterday when the outside temp peaked at 95F)

Not really. RGB and I just gave our opinion that our attics are hot, and we wouldn't recommend putting a PC in that type of condition.

This is why I usually avoided making any posts in a thread that quantumstate was helping in. I made the one exception with this one, and look what happened. We need to be able to post conflicting opinions when someone asks for advice. A person needs to know both sides if they are going to make an informed decision.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

The forum keeps losing great technical talent- first mythmaster now quantumstate. frown.gif

Appears to be a familiar pattern among linux/FOSS forums, unfortunately.

My time for contributions has been scarce as well, which explains stale sticky threads.

I guess those with deep technical talent should be spending their time being the next Torvalds, or Andreessen wink.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Andreessen
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

We are all capable of great things. It is just that too few of us actually do great things.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

This is the most unrewarding forum to post in. And yes, waterhead has always had some kind of problem with me that I don't understand but which I am not putting up with. None of you ever acknowledge when you've learned something (except Rgb for the first time above), and I hardly ever get feedback on what worked or what happened or even a thumbs-up. I never learn anything here. This sucks.

I don't really try out many of your explanatory posts, but I thoroughly enjoy reading them as a cross between proof-of-concept information and a inside-the-mind type post.

Sorry you dont really learn anything, but thanks for taking the time to teach occasionally. I've always found teaching to be a next-level of learning where you can reinforce what you know to a point that you learn more about it or a better way to use it. I didn't actually realize the thumbs up ability till a few months ago, and I now attempt to give them out appropriately

In any case, good to see you back
Old 12-15-2013, 06:16 PM

Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm running the same (silent) HTPC I was 7 years. ago. I tried to tell you guys, but nobody would listen. Alas, it has gradually turned into my home server, so even though it would probably run another 7 years, it's time for a major upgrade for mining. SuperMicro server mobo, Xeon, and three of the fastest GPUs on the planet, all water-cooled and OCed. But not for video, oh no. Video will be a by-product.

Turned into home server? Did you use LMCE? I've been planning to plan this for a while now. I never got from theoretical to actual and am not entirely sure which hardware to buy just yet. What is a good forum for this? Of course, by homeserver, I'm thinking A/C, lights, locks, security, sprinkler, etc.

Does the supermicro chipset support multi-lane x16? or x8/8/8? Also, I heard the door was nearly shut on gpu mining with all the asics out there now. I turned off my slush's pool guiminer since it's not bringing in enough to break past power consumption. It's only usefulness is the anonymity of it's profit, which isn't too much since I use geforce rather than radeon. I'd like to see a well thought out wc loop as well. I never can talk myself into this
Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Radiator will be a car heater core from the junkyard (much higher capacity than those expensive wc radiators), to which I'll solder adapters and maybe fit the reservoir somehow. It'll get a 120mm PWM fan, probably blowing up. I've bought high-heat transparent tubing for the loop, 1/2" for the pump and res circuit, and 3/8 split to to the boards with Y barbs. I may spring for EK's terminal block to join the cards, if it doesn't add too much restriction. Distilled water and algaecide of course, and a touch of RIT dye. (whut color?) Should heat the house without the furnace! PS - bitcoin isn't the only game.

Well, I had eyed swiftech if going the traditional route, but if you're going junkyard maybe just grab an old evaporator, high pressure dryer with duct, and compressor then pass the LP tubing through your blocks biggrin.gif Phase change on the cheap, it'd be hard to turn over though rolleyes.gif

The other game aside from BC is the silver analogy? Gold was to BC as silver was to ???? Drawing a blank, but I recall hearing of it and can't recall the name, is that the plan? I don't think you'll be the first to think of it, but the difficulty is low enough to profit still?

Yes, I recall your squid, cups, dnscrypt, etc reverse ssh tunneling. Just had a different idea of the term homeserver (guess I read automation-server by way of freudian slip)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not practical to use freon. No blocks for that pressure, and all-aluminium so can't be soldered. LP is after the cooling has done; it's the evaporation from liquid that does the cooling. I do notice liquid nitrogen setups though, when cost isn't a concern.
Not very practical, but the LP side is the cooling. HP is where the cooling is done and pressure is raised back (compressor) by turning condensed vapor into the liquids we know as freon (R-###). Liquid expansion to saturated vapor is where all cooling is, but as you said it's not practical or efficient to pass saturated vapor through a block. It'd need to be running for it to work, and the duty cycle on one is never 100%
Old 12-16-2013, 05:09 PM