Isn't it ironic, don't you think - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 51
That Windows phone has more choices than Android.

Ok, I realize that is a little over the top, but it is headed that way. My best friend makes games for phones and says that Samsung is becoming the default Android phone. He says it will probably continue to evolve that way, as developers flock more and more to the Samsung version of Android. Why is this the case? According to my friend, Android phones were so fractured that it was/is extremely difficult to develop a game or App that worked on all Android phones. He basically gave up and stayed with the Iphone. Now he is revisiting Android, but only in the Samsung universe.

Interesting how things turn out. I personally hate my Android 2.something phone. The UI sucks. I have played with my friends 4.0 phone and I am not sure whether I will go that route or Windows phone. Once I can get some hands on time with Windows then I will make my decision.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I don't know what you are getting at, but Windows Mobile as a whole probably has the most choices of anything to date since it is the oldest of all the still existing smartphone platforms. Several of the old winmo devices are nowhere near relevant today. Android definitely has the most choices amongst current high end devices

Also, android 2.something sucks. It always did, and it sucked as equally bad as iOS 3/4 and the initial release of Windows Phone 7 (which are all from the same smartphone era - approx Dec 2010). Learn how to root and move past the old android if your device manufacturer or carrier has impeded your receipt of timely updates.

Finally, your friend and you are just repeating the marketing garbage line that you can read every other day on Google News. Between my niece who is using a TF101, my wife who is using a GS4, and my own devices GNex and Nexus 7, we can all play temple run 1/2, mass effect, candy crush, words with friends, etc etc. The number of "incompatible" apps amongst varying devices is wildly overblown and always focused on Android yet somehow reluctant to mention the hugely popular ipad 1/2 and iphone 3gs/4 which have also have "incompatible" apps yet sold by the truckloads.

That's just fine that your friend is revisiting Android in the Samsung universe since his work will play nicely with my Nexus or future motoX, HTC, etc
Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 51
What I was getting at is it is kind of funny that Android is going to come down to one dominant player (Samsung) and the rest. On the other hand, Windows may end up actually having more hardware choices.

I will take your word on the previous Windows phone versions, as I haven't used them. I haven't heard my friend say that there is a big difference between previous versions of the Iphone and the current one. His biggest complaint over the last couple of years was the change in aspect ratio that he had to adjust for.

As for repeating marketing garbage, you are making a huge incorrect assumption. I admit I am repeating what my friend has told me. My friend though has been developing games by himself for the last four years after a decade of doing character animation. While he has ported some of his games to Android, he doesn't bother with making sure it works on every device.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The Android fragmentation argument has got to be one of the biggest software cope out's ever that any developer with half a clue can work around...how is that any different than the countless updates M$ puts out for their desktop software?!?!? You could easily argue that each iteration of an update is fragmentation! And with Android holding 80% market share it apparently can't be that big of a problem! Personally I hate the IOS interface and prefer the Android 2.x interface I have on my phone, much more control...it's whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

The Android fragmentation argument has got to be one of the biggest software cope out's ever that any developer with half a clue can work around...how is that any different than the countless updates M$ puts out for their desktop software?!?!? You could easily argue that each iteration of an update is fragmentation! And with Android holding 80% market share it apparently can't be that big of a problem! Personally I hate the IOS interface and prefer the Android 2.x interface I have on my phone, much more control...it's whatever floats your boat.

I take it you're not a developer who has to deal with this crap.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

What I was getting at is it is kind of funny that Android is going to come down to one dominant player (Samsung) and the rest. On the other hand, Windows may end up actually having more hardware choices.

I will take your word on the previous Windows phone versions, as I haven't used them. I haven't heard my friend say that there is a big difference between previous versions of the Iphone and the current one. His biggest complaint over the last couple of years was the change in aspect ratio that he had to adjust for.

As for repeating marketing garbage, you are making a huge incorrect assumption. I admit I am repeating what my friend has told me. My friend though has been developing games by himself for the last four years after a decade of doing character animation. While he has ported some of his games to Android, he doesn't bother with making sure it works on every device.

I didn't realize you were using Alanis Morissette lyrics within your post until today cool.gif

Sorry for assuming the marketing garbage bit, but you have to take a look at last week's Google News tech top-spots to see the total "Android Fragmentation" spew. It, of course, follows quickly on the heels of the new Nexus 7 announcement (which just makes the ipad mini look like a joke). The model google has started to promote is for OEMs to get close to the Nexus-equivalent, and the beauty is my N7 is up to date. I prefer the stock experience over every skin I've tried, and I wish it would reach out and grab hold of the mainstream market in a "capitalism-gives-a-backhand-to-Android-skins" fashion.

It's unfortunate that Samsung can do what they do with the GS4, which is basically thumb-their-nose at every other OEM by saying "look what we can do first." I have a samsung phone right now, and I've sworn it will be my last unless they change their design efforts. I only have a Samsung phone because it was the last Verizon-compatible LTE Nexus device, and they have many shortcomings that are repeated in the GSIII and GS4 (from the GS2 as well). Their speaker placement sucks, as do their speakers. Their audio controller is complete crap, and their wifi reception / antenna placement is extremely poor. The GS4 seems to have improved the wifi situation. The classic "samsung" plastic is junk. It was junk on the S2, S3, GNex, and the S4. Their SoC radio implementation is an afterthought. The hardware isn't the problem, but the lack of attention they pay to detail in their firmwares. They are currently driving the Android market into the ditch in my opinion, but HTC and Motorola aren't helping themselves at all (HTC not coming to Verizon in the US and Motorola putting out last year's tech at this year's prices)

Interestingly amongst all the fragmentation hype, the Android SDK is just plain better than iOS IMO. App design doesn't require as rigorous of a test. I would bet money that if your friend's app is designed for the GS4 (w/ scaling implemented - an impossibility with iOS) that it would work on the current flagships from HTC and Motorola as well as the LG Nexus 4 and flagship Optimus in addition to my GNex and last years GSIII. If somebody hops on the store and comments that it won't work on their Droid 2 or sidekick then tell them to bug off. That would be no different in the iOS App Store if they had just as old of a device trying to run current apps. Several will simply not work, but don't take my word for it - get someone's iPod Touch 3rd Gen or an iPhone 3g/3gs and start perusing the app store in search of new games.

Finally, it seems as if the media and mainstream opinion have solidified the idea that Android is Samsung. I agree with that right now, and I loathe Motorola and HTC for not getting their act together. HTC didn't launch it's device appropriately in the US (GS4 hit all 4 major carriers within a month, Verizon still has no official word on the HTC One) and Motorola (whom I have the highest hopes for) is basically reduced to "wait till next year" status. The very compelling Sony Xperia Z is unfortunately only available on TMo (AFAIK), but I would love to see it come to Verizon. If they drag their feet to long then it will once again be irrelevant before launch. I would give HTC/LG/Sony a break with Verizon launches if Motorola and Samsung weren't able to steamroll through the Verizon bureaucratic red-tape to get their products launched.

-Also as a side-note, AFAIK windows phones seem to be Nokia driven just as much as Android is Samsung driven
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

I take it you're not a developer who has to deal with this crap.

I am on the amatuer level along with building custom kernels and ROMs for my Android 2.x phone and 4.x TV stick. Again it's not any different than the countless services packs M$ puts out for their OS and if fragmentation was such a problem you wouldn't have a million apps available in the play store!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Fragmentation? Android is fragmented more ways than you can shake a stick at:

http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/
Quote:
Device fragmentation is not the only challenge that developers face when building for Android; the operating system itself is extremely fragmented and has only become more so over time.

Craig
Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post

Fragmentation? Android is fragmented more ways than you can shake a stick at:

Yes the same fud being spread around by everyone, but so what? What does the visual mean?

Do people actually think that the developers for apps like Temple Run, Words with Friends, Candy Crush, Chrome, Dolphin, Gmail, Maps, office apps (polaris, etc), file managers etc are spending hours and adding "complexity" to their apps so they can run on all those devices? I know that the fairly old Droid Bionic and Motorola Atrix can run all of the apps above, so can the current "fragmented" HTC, Samsung, and Motorola phones. It's amazing that everyone continues to spread half-baked opinions about an issue that most developers don't have and have already moved on