Opinions/advice wanted for Backend using TBS6981 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2013, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m completely new to this, so please be gentle!

I’m starting to plan a Backend system to provide TV content to an existing XBMC frontend. I'm spent weeks researching but finding lots of out of date and/or conflicting info. I assume I only need a pretty low spec machine but most suggestions I've found appear over specified for my needs.

Requirements:
• Must work with TBS 6981 PCI-E DVB-S2 Dual Tuner TV card (already purchased).
• Separate box to act as backend (my existing frontend box isn’t big enough to house the TV tuner and I plan to have additional frontends in future).
• Plan to use either MythTV or TVHeadend as backend software, as they’re both supported by XBMC – probably leaning towards TVHeadend for ease of setup (as per this discussion).
• Would like to keep noise to a minimum but doesn’t have to be completely silent.
• Low power consumption, as would be left on most of the time.
• Cost kept to a realistic minimum.
• Whatever is required must be available to purchase in the UK.

The TBS 6981 has the following hardware requirements for DVB-S2, which I assume would also cover MythTV/TVHeadend requirements:
• Dualcore CPU
• 1GB RAM or Above
• Graphic Card with at Least 64MB RAM

Would you suggest building my own backend box using components or buy an off the shelf solution? I hadn’t considered an off the shelf solution until reading this but unfortunately the offer is no longer valid. I haven’t built a system from components before but have upgraded various PCs in the past and happy to tinker.

If I head down the component build route, I’ll need to consider the following:
• Processor - would a cheap dualcore be sufficient? Any particular suggestion of chip and speed? Would the Intel Core i3 3220 3.30GH be overkill?
• Motherboard - assume it would be somewhat dictated by processor choice
• RAM - assume 2GB min but 4GB recommended?
• Graphics card (already integrated into motherboard?)
• Case
• Fan
• Power supply

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I never got paid channels to work with TVHeadend, ans Mythtv setup was indeed a myth to set up... it kept crashing for one reason or another...
I am considering either to virtualise my NAS and run DVBViewer (on Windows VM) or try running DVBViewer to run on wine...
XBMC works well with DVBViewer, you might want to keep that information in reserve in case you need to consider other available options...
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page