HTPC no sound over HDMI/not filling entire screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just put together a HTPC from spare parts lying around work (some random Foxconn mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 1TB Hard Drive) and slapped Mint 15 on it. For the video card, I am running a Radeon HD 5450 through an Onkyo TR-NX1515 to a VIZIO e551i-a2. My primary concern is the lack of audio. There isn't even an option to select anything but Analog out in the settings. I have done some research on this and everyone else seemed to at least have an option for the HDMI audio out. My secondary concern is that the view isn't filling up the entire screen. The outer 2 1/2 to 3 inches is nothing but black. I have tried different aspect ratios, resolutions, and zoom, but all still have the blank field around the edge. Does anyone else have any experience with these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-02-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Long View Post

I just put together a HTPC from spare parts lying around work (some random Foxconn mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 1TB Hard Drive) and slapped Mint 15 on it. For the video card, I am running a Radeon HD 5450 through an Onkyo TR-NX1515 to a VIZIO e551i-a2. My primary concern is the lack of audio. There isn't even an option to select anything but Analog out in the settings. I have done some research on this and everyone else seemed to at least have an option for the HDMI audio out.

You may have to manually configure the HDMI sound. Read through my post on this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1241031/xbmc-has-started-adding-vaapi-hardware-acceleration-suport-intel-gpu-owner-rejoice#post_19990952
Quote:

My secondary concern is that the view isn't filling up the entire screen. The outer 2 1/2 to 3 inches is nothing but black. I have tried different aspect ratios, resolutions, and zoom, but all still have the blank field around the edge. Does anyone else have any experience with these issues?
This may be a setting in the TV that you have to correct. Every TV maker seems to call it by a different name, so you will have to hunt around for it. In my Samsung TV it is found in the "Output Mode" settings.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I just put together a HTPC from spare parts lying around work (some random Foxconn mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 1TB Hard Drive) and slapped Mint 15 on it. For the video card, I am running a Radeon HD 5450 through an Onkyo TR-NX1515 to a VIZIO e551i-a2. My primary concern is the lack of audio. There isn't even an option to select anything but Analog out in the settings. I have done some research on this and everyone else seemed to at least have an option for the HDMI audio out. My secondary concern is that the view isn't filling up the entire screen. The outer 2 1/2 to 3 inches is nothing but black. I have tried different aspect ratios, resolutions, and zoom, but all still have the blank field around the edge. Does anyone else have any experience with these issues?

You may consider picking up a Nvidia card. Even a very low cost one will give you all the power you need for hardware acceleration of video (vdpau). Radeon (AMD) has gotten much better with linux drivers over the past few months but for ease of use Nvida still is at the top.

For more fun in the future put a powerful Nvidia card in it then add SteamOS when it's released and have a HTPC / Console system all built in to one. That being said, I'm really excited to see how creative people are going to be with the SteamOS. It claims to have HTPC capabilites. I'd love to see it interact with a MythTV backend!
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page