Help with Media Server Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,
My current system has one Intel® Xeon™ CPU 3.00GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, motherboard details are here, OS is CentOS and is on a 80GB SATA drive whereas my media is stored in RAID on 3X3TB drives that are housed in a 5 bay cage. All this sit in a Dell PowerEdge SC1420 , the raid cage is sitting in the space created after removing the CD-ROM and floppy drive.
I have Plex Media Server installed on this machine and also have a FTP up. The media is accessed by,
My Roku 3, hardwired in to a Netgear WNDR 4500 router.
2 Friend's Roku 2.
Another friend's laptop.
via FTP is accessed by a couple of friends.
The media that I have is mostly downloaded via internet and is in '.mkv' format. I have issues playing some of the files and reason for it is determined to be slower CPU, moving forward I would like to play all my movies in 1080p without any issues.

I have an option of replacing the current processor and adding one more processor to make the rig go faster. This would cost me about $150.

My question is would this power be enough to handle the current and future loads (maybe more frnds accessing plex, I streaming to more devices simultaneously with 1080p) or is it worth to put in some more money and build a new server rather than sticking to older hardware. The server right now is up 24x7 and that's how it will be in future too so power consumption is also important.

If building a new server is the way to go, what would be your recommendations? If possible I would like to use my raid cage and any the other things that I can use from my current setup.

I am hoping that in the new build I will be able to drop in my OS HDD and RAID drives and it should start working without going thru the pain to freshly install OS and setup RAID.

Thanks for your help in advance!
HappyIndian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If the video needs to be transcoded by Plex, than it needs to do that every time someone starts to watch a movie and with a possibility of 5 people accessing your server, you're going to need a lot of CPU power to transcode fast enough.

Now if the problem is you're having trouble viewing 1080P material, you can off-load your CPU and have the GPU do the transcoding, in which case I suggest getting an Nvidia card so that you can use VDPAU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU) on the card for GPU decoding of your 1080p material.

As a side note while waving the moral flag, most people downloading mkv movies from the internet would be deemed as questionable. Maybe that's not the case, but trying to save you some legal troubles down the road...especially with letting friends have access to those movies.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page