Bluetimes 3548M3 - Internal Fan Not Turning Off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hey all,

I just bought the Bluetimes 3548M3 media player, which I'm enjoying. It came with the latest firmware, which is dated 0621 (Android 4.0.4, Kerner 2.6.34), and it's the same firmware I was given by Bluetimes when I inquired about my issue. The problem I'm having is that when I put the player in the standby mode, either by pressing the power button on the remote control or on the front of the player, the player shuts down, the power light changes from blue to red, but the internal fan remains spinning. The only way to turn the fan off is to flip the rocker switch on the back of the unit. I can't have the fan on at night, as it is too loud. And I don't want to be turning off the rear rocker switch, because I can't turn on the player without walking up to it and flipping the switch. So, is the fan behavior normal for the 3548M3, or is the fan supposed to turn off in the standby mode?

I reflashed the firmware with the one Bluetimes provided me, but that did not fix the issue. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm considering disconnecting the fan, and hopefully the internal HDD will not overheat.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This isn't really the right forum for this product as it's Android base. But considering the small form factor, I would be worried about disconnecting the fan...at least when the drive is active. You're probably okay when the box is not being used and the drive has gone into a power down cycle. But being somewhat familiar with Android OS, I'm not aware of Android (yet) having the capability to control a fan, does the fan have 3 wires? And has the vendor stated the fan can be controlled through Android?
post #3 of 6 Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11

Thank you for your reply.

The fan only has 2 wires, 12V and ground. And the vendor stated the fan behaves as intended. My next step is to slightly decrease the voltage, either with a resistor, a diode, or a voltage stepdown module, and see when the fan noise becomes tolerable.

I wasn't expecting Android to control the fan. Since there are numerous Android boxes out there without fans, the ones without HDDs, an Android box does not need to be cooled by a fan. I was hoping the manufacturer would have built the fan control into the board, so the fan will come on when the box comes out of standby. The board controls the power LEDs, so why not the fan? Other players with Realtek chips have their fans come on and off with the power button.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
That or just replace the fan with one that has a lower dB rating (http://www.newegg.com/Fans-PC-Cooling/Category/ID-11)...I assume it's a standard size fan. Since there is no 3rd wire, that means it's not a variable speed fan. It is odd they don't shut the fan off when you power down...certainly a design flaw there! A lot of times vendors will put in the cheapest fan they can get, but most of the time that means they are noisy.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
My suggestion: Kiss your money goodbye. I made the huge error of buying the Bluetimes C500 media player, only to find out that the company had crippled the realtek 1186 chip with their firmware. They knew they had done this, yet lied on their marketing pieces. When confronted, they suggested a third party firmware since they NEVER will update their own firmware. The third party firmware bricked the unit, I returned it, and never heard from them again, my money gone to the Chinese Breeze.

Stay away from Bluetimes or Blue Times or whatever this fly by night Chinese firm calls itself these days.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioV73 View Post

Thank you for your reply.

The fan only has 2 wires, 12V and ground. And the vendor stated the fan behaves as intended. My next step is to slightly decrease the voltage, either with a resistor, a diode, or a voltage stepdown module, and see when the fan noise becomes tolerable.

I wasn't expecting Android to control the fan. Since there are numerous Android boxes out there without fans, the ones without HDDs, an Android box does not need to be cooled by a fan. I was hoping the manufacturer would have built the fan control into the board, so the fan will come on when the box comes out of standby. The board controls the power LEDs, so why not the fan? Other players with Realtek chips have their fans come on and off with the power button.

They did it this way because it's cheap construction. If you want to do it elegantly, then you will need a transistor and a resistor. You can tap one of the LEDs as control to switch the transistor on & off.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page