OpenELEC and Local Storage options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-20-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm using a number of different PCs as OE clients, but I'm wondering what options are beneficial to the OE client as far as local storage goes. A quick inventory of my OE clients follows:

1) Intel Cely 847 NUC with 2 GB RAM and a 4GB USB stick.

2) Foxconn mATX MB (nVidia 6150 video) with AMD Athlon X2, 2GB RAM, and 4GB USB stick.

3) Asus mATX MB (nVidia 6150 video) with AMD Athlon X2, 2GB RAM, and 4GB USB stick.

4) MSI mATX MB (nVidia 6150 video) with AMD Athlon X2, 2GB RAM, and 4GB USB stick.

OE is installed on 4GB USB stick and accesses a win7-64 WMC server with the XMBC-Server plugin installed. This in turn accesses an HDHomerun Prime with cablecard to Comcast cable for LiveTV and recording. I also have a WHS2011 server for movie and music storage on the network.

Questions:
1) Is there any benefit to having a larger USB stick for storing directory/scraped info about my collections ?

2) Is there any benefit to having an internal SATA or mSATA SSD for storing directory/scraped info about my collections ?

3) Is storing directory/scraped info about my collections locally on OE even possible ?

4) What are the options for OE setup with directory/scraped info about my collections ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

OE is installed on 4GB USB stick and accesses a win7-64 WMC server with the XMBC-Server plugin installed. This in turn accesses an HDHomerun Prime with cablecard to Comcast cable for LiveTV and recording. I also have a WHS2011 server for movie and music storage on the network.

What XBMC-Server plugin are you talking about? Do you mean ServerWMC?

Are your WMC/WHS servers separate VMs in ESXi? Or two different machines?

Either way, the one with all the movies/tvshows/music should have mysql installed. . . well at least that's how I do it.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL/Setting_up_MySQL

Honestly, the way for this to work smooth if that's not your setup already is to delete all XBMC libraries on all OE boxes, and install MySQL -> point XBMC to the UNC paths for all your movies/tvshows/music -> then let it scrape everything. You have to use UNC paths even if the files are local to the machine you are on. Also remember to use MySQL 5.5 not 5.6. Also run the artwork downloader on that machine to grab extrafanart, clearart, discart, etc. When you boot the OE machines, just navigate to their userdata folders (they are exposed through samba, so I always do this from my laptop on the netork) and add an advancedsettings.xml pointing the XBMC library to mysql. You can copy a single advancedsettings.xml to all 4 machines. Here's what mine looks like
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>ip.address.of.mysql.machine</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>mysqlpassword_for_user_xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase> 

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>ip.address.of.mysql.machine</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>mysqlpassword_for_user_xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
        <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
        <hideallitems>true</hideallitems>
    </videolibrary>

<pvr>
        <showepginfoonselect>false</showepginfoonselect>
    </pvr>
</advancedsettings>

The parts where I use hideallitems=true are to remove the "all" collection view from tv shows. I like my library to only show seasons rather than All

The pvr part keeps that annoying "Switch/Record/Ok" dialog from popping up in the EPG select window. Selecting an EPG entry will just start playback or timer depending on whether you chose a current or future block.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a mysql library and run the artwork downloader on that machine, all the "clients" will pull the info across your network. No local re-scraping.

I actually have a 16GB USB drive for mine, because I wanted to use one of the micro-sized usb 3 drives for a while and the first one I found was the Patriot TAB. 8GB and 16GB were both $15 on newegg marketplace, so it was a no brainer. I'd prefer at least 8 since with all my add-ons and skins my install can get up to about 3GB. I like to keep more available space on them for better performance, but I don't know if that still matters on today's flash drives. Supposedly low space effects performance on all flash memory, but after reading some tests on newer SSDs they show the same performance all the way up to 95% full . . . ?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2013, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
0/0 full (no percent sign on my phone???) shouldn't matter on SSD. The slowdown has to do with spinning up, seeking, and file fragmentation which all are of no concern to SSD which is basically RAM accessed through a SCSI interface.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2013, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 7 Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That makes perfect sense. I was just thinking about reading from them when they're mostly full.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

What XBMC-Server plugin are you talking about? Do you mean ServerWMC?

Are your WMC/WHS servers separate VMs in ESXi? Or two different machines? . . . . .

Yes, the ServerWMC. Yes, they are separte VMs on the same ESXi machine.

2 items:
1) I haven't set up the music and movie file structure yet

2) Only using the LiveTV / recorded TV at the moment to the RecordedTV folder on the win7-64WMC VM

I didn't think any data was being saved to the OE client's USB drive, as the recordings are going to the win7 VM and the TV directory appears to be loading each time I boot.

Thanks for the hints on MySQL
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat