Intel Graphics and MythTV (Looking Good) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've been looking for a solution for very small PC builds and MythTV.

I've found AMD APUs don't work, so I tried a cheap Intel G2030 processor with embedded Intel graphics. The processor is only $50.00. Up until recently you needed a dedicated NVidia card to run MythTV. It's looking like the Intel is doing fine. I even have VAAPI acceleration going and it seems to be working flawlessly.

This is a boon to me. Small ITX board. A 55 watt processor with embedded graphics that can run the entire system. I'll keep you guys posted as I continue to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Using this as a frontend, backend, or both?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-08-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Over the years I've used a couple of Intel GPUs on frontends and the results have been satisfactory. My big screens are all attached to Nvidia GPUs now but I still have an old GMA3100 GPU running with an E2180 processor that I use as a frontend connected to a 22" monitor that looks good to me. This machine is also my master backend and primary fileserver, among other things. I have not used VAAPI because I don't think I've owned a GPU recent enough to support it. But I've heard good things about Intel in Linux for the past couple of years and my experiences have been positive.

One of my laptops also has an intel GPU and video playback has been good their too...

I know these aren't small factor PCs, but just stating that while Nvidia may still be the easiest and most reliable path to good video in Linux it certainly isn't the only path and hasn't been for a while. As always, YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

Using this as a frontend, backend, or both?

Just a frontend. Don't see why it couldn't handle backend duty as well. My backend is running an older Intel dual core processor, and it's never even had a hiccup.

The backend was easier to build because the location of it didn't require any real aesthetic consideration. The frontend was subject to the WAF rating.

I've been looking for an inexpensive, low power CPU with integrated GPU that could handle MythTV without a dedicated Nvidia video card. I'm done trying to make the AMD APU's work.

The ultimate goal was to get the frontend box as small and silent as possible. So the G2030 on a mini-ITX motherboard in this case, http://www.amazon.com/Wesena-ITX4-v3-Black-100-Aluminum-chassis/dp/B00858U4W8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/?tag=incepin05-20, with this CPU fan http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077POH8M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=incepin05-20, and I've accomplished my goal.

One note though.

VA-API acceleration is still kind of buggy. I'm using the High Quality video playback profile in MythTV and it's working great. VA-API works great most of the time, but on some channels it causes some choppiness. Only on some channels. Since High Quality is working just fine, I'm sticking with that for now.

I'm also using Pipelight to run Netflix and Netflix is playing better than it ever did with my Nvidia GPUs and VDPAU. Don't know what that really means, and my results could differ from someone else's.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've been using a Minix G4 as a front end for Myth...well actually Plex, so I don't get the commercial breaks. XBMC on Android has come a long way in recent months and GPU acceleration is much better now on these Android sticks. The great thing about my G4...~2 watts and maybe $0.30 a year in electricity usage!
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page