New NUC HTPC w/ Ubuntu - Display Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, yesterday I built my first HTPC using an Intel NUC DCCP847DYE. I successfully installed Ubuntu 13.10 and XBMC. XBMC is new to me so I'm stumbling though it and will probably have some questions in the near future. However, I have a problem with the display. I'm running an HDMI cable from the NUC to my Integra DHC 80.3 pre-amp, which uses HDMI to connect to my LG 60" plasma TV. In Ubuntu the resolution defaults to 1920 x 1080, which seems right, but the edges of the picture are cut off. For instance, I can only see the far-right edge of the launcher on the left side of the screen, and I can't see the upper-right buttons at all. When I open up the display settings, it shows my display as "ONKYO Corporation 72". Not sure why it comes up as a 72" display. Anybody know a fix for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel md View Post

Hi everyone, yesterday I built my first HTPC using an Intel NUC DCCP847DYE. I successfully installed Ubuntu 13.10 and XBMC. XBMC is new to me so I'm stumbling though it and will probably have some questions in the near future. However, I have a problem with the display. I'm running an HDMI cable from the NUC to my Integra DHC 80.3 pre-amp, which uses HDMI to connect to my LG 60" plasma TV. In Ubuntu the resolution defaults to 1920 x 1080, which seems right, but the edges of the picture are cut off. For instance, I can only see the far-right edge of the launcher on the left side of the screen, and I can't see the upper-right buttons at all. When I open up the display settings, it shows my display as "ONKYO Corporation 72". Not sure why it comes up as a 72" display. Anybody know a fix for this?

I would recommend skipping ubuntu and install OpenELEC instead for the simplest setup option

Either way you will end up needing to adjust a setting within XBMC, go to Settings -> System -> Video Output -> Video Calibration
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your amp is most likely not correctly passing the EDID info through. It looks like you will need to set it manually, using a custom modeline. Read through this wiki entry on Xserver resolutions:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

You will want to directly connect the HTPC to the TV to get the correct modeline. I tried both the cvt & gtf commands, and they gave me slightly different results.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Adding_undetected_resolutions

Make sure it displays correctly before hooking it back up to the amp. Also, make sure the TV picture settings are set correctly. Every TV calls it something different, but you want it to output the display at 1:1. Maybe look into this first, before doing the things I mentioned first.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Settings -> System -> Video Output -> Video Calibration
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never had a setup that didn't require a little video calibration within WMC or XBMC to adjust for the overscan

Also, it's common for the display device to report your avr. It's more likely that it mismatched your amps edid with a generic 7.2 channel Onkyo AVR than thinking it's a 72" display. As long as it's sending your audio properly and the video adjustments are made within software, I wouldn't worry about what it "says" your display is
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page