*Need Advise Please* New HTPC build - Blown Ac Power Brick !? Help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, sorry if i have posted this in the wrong forum. I tried to find the right place to post this.

I have just recently built a HTPC with the following components.

Case - Streacom FC1 EVO

Motherboard - MSI A88XI AC MITX

PSU - 160w PicoPSU Bundle (with 150w Power Brick) < Link Below !

Cpu - A6-6400K 4.1GHz FM2 Dual-Core (64W)

CPU Coller - Noctua NH-L9a

Ram - 1x 4GB DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) CL9 @1.5V Ballistix Tactical

HD 1 - WD 1TB Scorpio Blue (2.5")

HD 2 - Hitachi Travelstar 640gb  (2.5")

Case Fan - 1x Fractal Design 40mm

Installation of all the components went a breeze, i booted up with the bios set as factory defaults and installed windows 7 !

After windows installed i noticed the ram was running at 1333mhz so i changed it in the bios to run at 1866 (This is the only change i made in the Bios) I rebooted back into Windows and performed a windows update and 20 mins into the update i heard a loud pop, i checked the system and tryed to boot up only to find the system wouldn't power up !! i changed the fuse but it didn't make a difference the brick was dead !! :(

Its my first HTPC build using the PicuPsu & AC adapter and i'm hoping someone hear can shed some light on why the adapter would blow up ? there are no loose wires in the case and everything is connected up the way it should be. Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened or anything i can check to find out what happened? I really don't know what i've done wrong or what i should look at.'

The PSU i am using > www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1166b.html

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Fuses don't blow for the heck of it, when they blow it means you've got a short somewhere else, it should be considered a warning sign. A lot of PS now a days won't start up if they sense a bad cpu, incorrectly install CPU, CPU fan not hooked up, or incorrect connections from the PS. First thing you should do is unplug all connections except the MB and CPU PS connections, then see if the system boots. You can probably even remote the RAM too. Also default your BIOS back, usually this is a jumper setting on the motherboard.

Lastly, these forums in general are not really geared towards troubleshooting PC problems, but there are not a lot of eyeballs in the Linux HTPC forum, you might get faster reponses posting in the http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers forum...although really you should be posting in a PC hardware forum, since your problem isn't really related to AVS at the moment.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You bricked your (power) brick! biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2014, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you let the smoke out of the PSU, they don't work anymore. There are no user serviceable part inside (unless you're a technician). Hopefully, it didn't take the MOBO with it. Do a good visual inspection of the MOBO. Sniff for burnt odors and look for chips with a blister in the top of the package.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The 2.5mm x 5.5mm barrel jack harness used on the picoPSU is not meant to take more than 8A. That's why there's a 4-pin version of the harness (the part that connects to the AC adapter).

Here's what picoPSU support says on the subject:

"The DC barrel style jack supports up to 8A but if you can use a bigger AC/DC adapter if you don't exceed for too long the rated input. Usually, the bigger AC/DC adapters are delivered with a a 4-pin mini DIN connector for higher power. They can also be used with the PicoPSU-120 but with the P4 type connector. For example, see this AC/DC adapter which is delivered with the 4-pin mini DIN to P4 adapter: http://www.mini-box.com/12v-12-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter . Hope this information helps!"

I don't know if this was the issue. It was probably a bad AC brick. But, it's something to consider. 12.5A is over half again the rating of the jack.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page