AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

8500 and linux

879 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Bdogg 
#1 ·
I heard that the firegl drivers for linux of the ATI sight work very well but have yet to try them. I will as soon as i re install linux though. anyone else try them yet?

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mikef
FireGL != 8500. They are entirely different cards.

AFAIK, you need to run XFree86 4.2 to get full support for the late model RADEON cards. Either that or the XF86Config-4 tweak to use the XFree86 4.1 server.
that is not true the 8500 and firegl 8800 are very similar cards using the same gpu. this has been talked about quite a bit on the driverheaven and rage3d forums. Many say that they have gotten the drivers to work and work well.

#5 ·
Hi Mikef and Kejar31:

___Given most in the Windows environment are using the “LE’s†through 7500’s due to Windows based drivers that work properly for all the players we use, might it be best to consider an “LE†– 7500 as the card of choice first? At least until the grayscale bug is proven non-existent under a Linux driver. It took ATI some time to fix the gamma bug under Windows and who is to say the 8500 will not have the same issue under the various Linux based drivers without some serious ATI driver fix as well?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xcel
Hi Mikef and Kejar31:

___Given most in the Windows environment are using the “LE’s†through 7500’s due to Windows based drivers that work properly for all the players we use, might it be best to consider an “LE†– 7500 as the card of choice first? At least until the grayscale bug is proven non-existent under a Linux driver. It took ATI some time to fix the gamma bug under Windows and who is to say the 8500 will not have the same issue under the various Linux based drivers without some serious ATI driver fix as well?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

I agree most will not have an issue due to the fact that they will be using the le or 7500. but i will be using the 8500 and am just curious as to how it performs with the firegl drivers. I don't know if the grayscale bug will exist in linux or not but I wouldn't think so considering the original 8500 driver that comes with xfree86 4.2 is not even developed by ATI. the only drivers to this date that are developed by ATI are the firegl ones. and considering that i was wondering how well they performed.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Krishna
Kejar31,

Why are you looking to use the firegl drivers for your 8500 instead of the "ati" driver that comes with XFree86 4.2.0 or the ati.2 driver from GATOS ? Is it for 3D acceleration?

Krishna
multiple reasons one is 3d another is dual monitor support, and my biggest one is due to the fact when i use the xfree divers i get a tearing effect when watching dvds in linux.

#11 ·
All owners of ATI cards should read this carefully.

The GATOS project is the definitive source for information regarding linux support for ATI-based cards. The best thing to do is get involved and help the developers by reporting bugs and requested freatures as they are willing and actively working to increase Linux support for these cards.

Also make sure you check out the mailing list archives for any questions or issues that are currently being worked on. Then subscribe so you can help contribute. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.