AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheap PCI bus analyzer?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jah-Wren Ryel 
#1 ·
This is probably a longshot, but if you can't win if you never play the lottery...

We all know that some PCI cards that are integral parts of people's htpcs under windows don't have any kind of driver support under linux nor are their respective vendors likely to release any documentation, much less an actual driver. So I have a strong urge to reverse-engineer their windows drivers and put something together under linux. An essential tool to do that is a PCI bus analyzer. For those who don't know, a bus analyzer lets you watch what the cpu says to the PCI card and vice-versa. Everything a driver does to configure and run a PCI card can be seen (not necessarily understood, but at least seen) with a PCI bus analyzer.

So, I'm looking for one. But, they are really expensive. So, I'm hoping someone knows a dot-bomb or the like with a PCI bus-analyzer just lying around waiting to be sold for pennys on the dollar. If you have one for sale cheap, or know of one, please post a follow-up so that anyone interested in doing this kind of work will have the opportunity to acquire one.

Thanks.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.